2016 Match of the Year

Lawsoncomedy

Re: 2016 Match of the Year

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Not bad.

elloziom

Post by elloziom » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:26 pm

Really interesting. I personally expected at least 10 of those matches listed here to do way better. Especially Cavernario vs Volador Jr. from 9/30 (probably the best lucha match I've seen this year). But it kind of makes me more interested to see which matches got the highest positions. I personally expect the top 10 to include omega vs naito, tanahashi vs okada from 1/4, zayn vs nakamura and revival vs diy from toronto(not necessarily my top 4, but these are probably the matches that were praised the most this year).

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:16 am

I really liked O'Reilly vs Shibata from KOPW but admittedly it would only make my ow top 10 if I only included NJPW matches. I showed it to a friend who does BJJ because it had such nicely done worked BJJ grapple sequences and he liked those, too.

Trent Seven vs Travis Banks from FCP was so fucking good, but understandably the promotion isn't widely known since they only started VOD half-way through last year. With any luck, even with the tumultuous year BritWres will have, more people will pick up those VOD's on vimeo and watch the Travis Banks journey in FCP. Completely worthy of your time. The most hype crowd of 2016, this match. (Context helps it, though, so if you can't watch all the shows leading up to it, at the very least check out Project Mayhem V.)

This write-up of Delete or Decay is really great.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:51 pm

really cool to see another SMASH match get votes. I had voted for the Steel Cage match between Scotty and Banks, but not the Rosemary Vs. Allie Cage match. Really pleasant surprise because that match is probably in my top 25. Those two girls really beat the hell out of each other in both their No DQ and Cage matches.

stienerontheforklift

Post by stienerontheforklift » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:39 pm

I'm really surprised by Miyahara vs Akiyama being so low. I thought that was AJPW's best match by a mile this year. Maybe since it took place during G1 time people just forgot about it/didn't see it.

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:12 pm

stienerontheforklift wrote:I'm really surprised by Miyahara vs Akiyama being so low. I thought that was AJPW's best match by a mile this year. Maybe since it took place during G1 time people just forgot about it/didn't see it.
Same. I had it ranked 7 overall.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:43 am

I am printing these out in an attempt to watch the stuff I haven't seen yet that's available in easy to watch spots. I love year end lists. I have my movies and albums lists I work through as well.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:16 pm

The BOSJ final not even going to make the top 100?

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:32 am

Superkix wrote:
stienerontheforklift wrote:I'm really surprised by Miyahara vs Akiyama being so low. I thought that was AJPW's best match by a mile this year. Maybe since it took place during G1 time people just forgot about it/didn't see it.
Same. I had it ranked 7 overall.
Agreed.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:41 am

I forgot how much people loved Nakamura vs Zayn. I thought matches like Ishii/Okada, the Okada and Tanahashi draw, and Omega/Goto were clearly better, but then again I like NXT getting up there and not having the whole field be dominated by NJPW. I am happy the Styles/Nakamura match stayed on people's radars throughout the year as I loved that as well, even more than Nak/Zayn.

I can't believe the BOSJ final, O'reilly vs Shibata, nor Ishii vs Shibata from New Beginning even placed. I think people forget about that New Beginning match, and it gets eaten up by their dome match, but I thought their New Beginning match was even better. It built on their dome match. I think the Hero/Scurll match from Progress suffered from the same thing, as their Rev Pro match ate that one up even though I thought the Progress match was better, and it didn't even place.

If anything, this is an embarrassment of riches.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:54 am

Quite surprised PWG's '5 star' match came at number 29. Thought it would rank higher than that.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:41 pm

7 of my matches were in the top 10

Superkix

Post by Superkix » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:19 pm

Lawsoncomedy wrote:nor Ishii vs Shibata from New Beginning even placed. I think people forget about that New Beginning match, and it gets eaten up by their dome match, but I thought their New Beginning match was even better. It built on their dome match.
Definitely. I had it at 11, so it just missed the cut, but I preferred it over the Dome match for sure.

KevinInCalgary

Post by KevinInCalgary » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:17 pm

I watched the TRAUMA I VS CANIS LUPUS match and it wasn't my thing. For the last 3 or so years, I've watched things in top 10 I may have missed and usually good stuff. This one didn't connect with me at all. Lucha isn't something I usually watch, and thinking back I've never been into brawling Lucha. On the positive side, it looked like there was a good crowd there and they were really into it. Well, the positive is that more and more stuff is accessible and there is something out there for everyone.