What's Your Match of the Year Process

suplexberry

Re: What's Your Match of the Year Process

Post by suplexberry » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:50 pm

DylanWaco wrote: To me the themes of 2017 were the rise of the unlikely freakshow/spectacle match, the beautiful tragic failures of men chasing ultimately unachievable (at least in 2017) goals and the return of the great pairs/traveling match. The bulk of my top ten will speak to these themes, because that is what I think of when I think of 2017 wrestling.
What a great detailed post about your process, and this paragraph especially spoke to me. I love this idea that MOTY lists represent a snapshot of an individual's 2017, whether in terms of what they personally gravitated towards or what they specifically sought out in their pro wrestling fandom, but that they also represent a snapshot of what pro wrestling in general was like in any given year, because the matches and stories that resonated with us the most are also what was happening in this world in general. It's a snapshot that mixes the personal with the general trends.

I think also everything about this process speaks to how they think about wrestling. If you're the person who quantifies things very meticulously, it makes sense for you to do the same with wrestling. If you're not that person, then you can forget about stars etc, it's fine.

In my books it's completely fine to rate a match highly even if you were involved with the production in some way. I believe the Lady J blogged recently about her recent travels to the UK and getting to know that scene, including some of the wrestlers there, has somewhat changed her perspective on what wrestling is. It's natural. Sometimes knowing the people involved or knowing how the sausage gets made does alter your perspective. You can have those personal reasons, or have those factors involved in how you view a match. If you provide that context for readers, they can then evaluate the match on their own terms.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Re: What's Your Match of the Year Process

Post by Robareid » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 am

I don't rewatch anything.

I have an ordered master list of every match I've ever rated ****+, so come year end I just smack a year filter on it and reel off the top ten. Matches do move on that list a little though, depending on how they hold up in my memory months down the line.

This means I sometimes don't have a very diverse top ten, even if my watching is diverse. I lament this sometimes, but at the end of the day if I feel like eight of the top ten matches in a year all came from the same promotion then I begrudgingly submit that.