2015 Match of the Year - Official Discussion

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: 2015 Match of the Year - Official Discussion

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:44 am

More of a comment to Rich and Joe...as we've been doing this shit for a while, back on now-dead forums and shit...long before the voting opened up to so many and is now a big deal, on its own site, in this little world of nerdy wrestling discush...

If you look at this list, especially the top 10, I can't help but think the list wouldn't have been MUCH different back in the Original Four days. The Top 10 ended up being very chalky, considering the insane voter base for this list.

Its 5 NJPW matches, 4 WWE matches, and the Lucha Underground match. The OG4 watch a ridiculous amount of wrestling, but our "Top 10's" back in the day, if we weren't forcing takes, were always pretty chalky and similar and even though the voting base for VoW is now insane, it still kind of drifts back to pretty chalky and similar despite the larger pool.

Just an interesting observation, noting how this has evolved over the life of our little run of bullshitting over the years into this big thing, yet...it ultimately stays the same.

The VoW OG4...Wrestling Tastemakers.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:37 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:More of a comment to Rich and Joe...as we've been doing this shit for a while, back on now-dead forums and shit...long before the voting opened up to so many and is now a big deal, on its own site, in this little world of nerdy wrestling discush...

If you look at this list, especially the top 10, I can't help but think the list wouldn't have been MUCH different back in the Original Four days. The Top 10 ended up being very chalky, considering the insane voter base for this list.

Its 5 NJPW matches, 4 WWE matches, and the Lucha Underground match. The OG4 watch a ridiculous amount of wrestling, but our "Top 10's" back in the day, if we weren't forcing takes, were always pretty chalky and similar and even though the voting base for VoW is now insane, it still kind of drifts back to pretty chalky and similar despite the larger pool.

Just an interesting observation, noting how this has evolved over the life of our little run of bullshitting over the years into this big thing, yet...it ultimately stays the same.

That's a fun exercise. I'm going to tally up the OG4s lists only and see where each match would rank. Stay tuned!

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:45 pm

Here's a little stat that may interest some of you. Tenth place vote has been frequently referred to as the vanity, a vote many people throw out to a match they may not necessary think is one of the top ten matches of the year but they just really enjoyed. So I mined the data and came up with the Vanity Stat. The Vanity Stat is the proportion of votes a wrestler received that were tenth place votes (for wrestlers who received at least five total votes). Here's the results:

Position - Wrestler - Vanity Factor - Votes - 10ths
1st - Sakuraba - 50% - 6 - 3
2nd - Pentagon - 43% - 7 - 3
=3rd - Ricochet - 40% - 5 - 2
=3rd - Tanaka - 40% - 5 - 2
5th - Shirai - 38% - 8 - 3
6th - Cesaro - 36% - 14 - 5
7th - Okabayashi - 27% - 11 - 3
8th - Suzuki - 25% - 12 - 3
=9th - Volador - 25% - 8 - 2
=9th - Rave - 25% - 8 - 2

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:23 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:More of a comment to Rich and Joe...as we've been doing this shit for a while, back on now-dead forums and shit...long before the voting opened up to so many and is now a big deal, on its own site, in this little world of nerdy wrestling discush...

Here's the MOTY list (26 matches) if only the original four (myself, Lanza, Larry and Billy Carpenter) voted:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada 1/4
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi 1/4
KUSHIDA vs. Kyle O'Reilly 6/7
Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch 5/20
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns (vs. Seth Rollins) 3/29
Kevin Owens vs John Cena 6/14
Sasha Banks vs. Bayley 8/22
Fenix vs. Mil Muertes 3/18
Tomohiro Ishii vs Hirooki Goto 8/9
HARASHIMA vs KUDO 5/31
John Cena vs Brock Lesnar vs Seth Rollins 1/25
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Roderick Strong 4/3
Joe Doering vs. Go Shiozaki 1/3
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura 8/16
AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada 7/5
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Roderick Strong 7/10
Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Shuji Ishikawa 3/31
Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. 6/26
Young Bucks & Roderick Strong vs Tommy End, Zack Sabre Jr, Marty Scurll 8/28
Roderick Strong vs. Mike Bailey 6/26
Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura 8/15
Chris Hero vs Timothy Thatcher 3/28
Ivelisse/Son of Havoc/Angelico vs. Big Ryck/The Mack/Killshot vs. King Cuerno/Cage/Texano (vs. The Crew) 4/22
Shingo Takagi vs CIMA 12/27
Vampiro vs Pentagon Jr 8/5
Akira Tozawa vs. Eita 7/20

And these charts shows how it compared to where these matches actually finished on the MOTY ballot:

Morten VH

Post by Morten VH » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:45 pm

Honest question. Did you forget the Ibushi/Shibata match from the G1, or didn't any of you four find it good enough? I'm asking because it seems like a lot of people have forgotten the match, though many people gave it ***** when it happened.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:31 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:

Here's the MOTY list (26 matches) if only the original four (myself, Lanza, Larry and Billy Carpenter) voted:

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Kazuchika Okada 1/4
Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi 1/4
KUSHIDA vs. Kyle O'Reilly 6/7
Sasha Banks vs. Becky Lynch 5/20
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns (vs. Seth Rollins) 3/29
Kevin Owens vs John Cena 6/14
Sasha Banks vs. Bayley 8/22
Fenix vs. Mil Muertes 3/18
Tomohiro Ishii vs Hirooki Goto 8/9
HARASHIMA vs KUDO 5/31
John Cena vs Brock Lesnar vs Seth Rollins 1/25
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Roderick Strong 4/3
Joe Doering vs. Go Shiozaki 1/3
Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Shinsuke Nakamura 8/16
AJ Styles vs Kazuchika Okada 7/5
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. Roderick Strong 7/10
Daisuke Sekimoto vs. Shuji Ishikawa 3/31
Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. 6/26
Young Bucks & Roderick Strong vs Tommy End, Zack Sabre Jr, Marty Scurll 8/28
Roderick Strong vs. Mike Bailey 6/26
Kazuchika Okada vs. Shinsuke Nakamura 8/15
Chris Hero vs Timothy Thatcher 3/28
Ivelisse/Son of Havoc/Angelico vs. Big Ryck/The Mack/Killshot vs. King Cuerno/Cage/Texano (vs. The Crew) 4/22
Shingo Takagi vs CIMA 12/27
Vampiro vs Pentagon Jr 8/5
Akira Tozawa vs. Eita 7/20

And these charts shows how it compared to where these matches actually finished on the MOTY ballot:

The Top 10 has 6 similarities. 8 were in the Top 20. 15 similarities in the Top 26.

I'd say I had a pretty great hypothesis.

Chalky.

We are the tastemakers of the new generation. It is our goal to wash the masses from believing a Randy Orton or Edge PPV match is four stars and we are doing just that.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:49 am

Morten VH wrote:Honest question. Did you forget the Ibushi/Shibata match from the G1, or didn't any of you four find it good enough? I'm asking because it seems like a lot of people have forgotten the match, though many people gave it ***** when it happened.

I agree, that match was awesome and seemed to be forgotten after Ibushi's injury.