Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 01/04/2015)

mrjoshdude

Re: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 01/04/2015)

Post by mrjoshdude » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:49 pm

I think this one falls behind Invasion Attack and probably KOPW but it's still a top notch near 5 star match. It really felt like a huge match, and while I was disappointed at the time with the Tanahashi win, it was clearly building to bigger things and Okada's crying afterwards was perfect. In terms of the match while the others in their series kind of had themes like Okada introducing the Red Ink or Tanahashi going after his arm, this one didn't really have any discernible feature that made it different from the other matches they had, which hurts it a little for me, although I haven't seen it since it happened so I'll have to rewatch it and see. This match does have potentially the best dropkick ever though so that's a plus.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:10 am

I haven't rewatched this since it happened, but at the time I had it at *****. I liked this slightly less than their Invasion Attack match but it will finish on my Top 100. Masterful job of professional wrestling.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:40 pm

5-stars, my MOTY, and one of the best matches I've ever seen. Possibly the best in-mach storytelling ever, with the cocky Okada shocked that the Rainmaker couldn't get the job done, and Tanahashi being forced to used something like 11 HFF's, including taking out Okada's legs so he couldn't kick out, to put away his top rival. They had my full attention from start to finish, and the post match stuff was icing on the cake. Serious contender for my #1 overall.