Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 04/07/13)

br26
VOW Staff Member

Re: Kazuchika Okada vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW 04/07/13)

Post by br26 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:39 am

This Invasion Attack match is probably one of the best matches of this decade and it's really up there as one of my favorite matches of all time. Everything here from the psychology to the action to the booking just made complete sense. Also hard not to mention that Okada and Tanahashi had terrific chemistry with one another and have had the best series of matches since probably Steamboat and Flair. Without a doubt this should be considered. Maybe not the best match EVER but I think it's worthy of discussion.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:59 pm

I like the 1/4/15 match a little better from a story perspective, but this may have had slightly better work and is my clear #2 in a series that has three 5-star matches and nothing below 4-stars. In retrospect, this is probably the match that elevated Okada to being one of the best in the world.

Francis Adu

Post by Francis Adu » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:31 pm

This is a match that I only just now began to appreciate because of its role in the overall story I believe they are telling with the Okada/Tana feud. Like many others, Okada's constant use of his arm after Tanahashi spent all his time trying to destroy & it clearly supposed to be sold as destroyed bugged me on initial viewings. But then after the WK9 match, I revisited it and found a narrative thread that made me appreciate it much more: the story of Okada winning but showing he still has much to learn. Okada seems to be using his arm because the Rainmaker is all he has in the end. Tanahashi's plan ended up sound but he underestimates the talent & stubbornness of Okada so eventually Okada is simply able to will his way to victory, although he played it stupid. Despite the loss, Tanahashi is then able to use his veteran wisdom to eventually realize if he could withstand the Rainmaker, he'd break Okada, which leads to WK9. I might be reaching here but it's how I can make sense of this match.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:03 am

Francis Adu wrote:This is a match that I only just now began to appreciate because of its role in the overall story I believe they are telling with the Okada/Tana feud. Like many others, Okada's constant use of his arm after Tanahashi spent all his time trying to destroy & it clearly supposed to be sold as destroyed bugged me on initial viewings. But then after the WK9 match, I revisited it and found a narrative thread that made me appreciate it much more: the story of Okada winning but showing he still has much to learn. Okada seems to be using his arm because the Rainmaker is all he has in the end. Tanahashi's plan ended up sound but he underestimates the talent & stubbornness of Okada so eventually Okada is simply able to will his way to victory, although he played it stupid. Despite the loss, Tanahashi is then able to use his veteran wisdom to eventually realize if he could withstand the Rainmaker, he'd break Okada, which leads to WK9. I might be reaching here but it's how I can make sense of this match.
You are't reaching, as Tanahashi has said as much in some of his interviews regarding the series, as has Okada, with his references to needing to finad a new way to attack Tana.