Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW 08/03/13)

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Re: Shinsuke Nakamura vs. Kota Ibushi (NJPW 08/03/13)

Post by InYourCase » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:03 am

Gave this the full five when I first saw it and it's help up the two times I've watched it sense. AMAZING closing stretch, arguably better than their sequel at WK9. Really liked seeing Ibushi tangle with the heavyweights when he was a junior. I'm already missing that. Will make my list.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:09 pm

InYourCase wrote:Gave this the full five when I first saw it and it's help up the two times I've watched it sense. AMAZING closing stretch, arguably better than their sequel at WK9. Really liked seeing Ibushi tangle with the heavyweights when he was a junior. I'm already missing that. Will make my list.
Agree that the closing stretch here was better than WK, but the WK match has the edge of being the follow up to a multi-match story so it has the layers that this one doesn't. Regardless, I LOVE this match, and it's one of three Ibushi bouts that is an absolute lock to make my list (Nak II, and the Ibushi/Marufuji vs KENTA/Ishimori NOAH tag). I could see another half dozen Ibushi bouts cracking my list, too (the Generico series from DDT, G1 bout vs Tanahashi, etc)

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:54 pm

Having rewatched WK9 and this match recently, I can safely say this one holds up better and remains one of my favorite matches ever. I enjoy the story of Ibushi here a bit more than Kingdom. I like the idea that he truly "came out of nowhere" for this performance and it's a more gutsy all-around match from him too.