Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, & Erick Rowan vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, & Roman Reigns (WWE 02/23/14)

Rah

Re: Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, & Erick Rowan vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, & Roman Reigns (WWE 02/23/14)

Post by Rah » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 pm

These guys had three matches on live TV and each one made my top 20 for 2014. Whoever the road agent was in putting together these matches needs to be commended, because their mind for contemporary wrestling is almost second to none. I also cannot count how many of their house show matches I caught. Much like a majority of the live event style, they're all carbon copies, but it's a layout that's just so fresh to watch.

I'm honestly not sure how to talk this match up. It's just one of those matches that no words will do justice to. Hell, after it ended I knew this would be my match of the year. Rollins is this white-hot babyface that just screams potential (and one of many reasons why I had reservations in them turning him heel) and he dives all around the place like a man possessed. I'm also a little touches kind of guy and that's exactly what Luke is here. There's a part where the heels are in control, and Harper tags out to Bray (?) only to wipe his boots off on Rollins face, while grinding it into the mat, as he steps out.

It seems like Reigns is getting a bit more credit for his performances these last few months, as he should, but he killed it here with his emotive work. The work he puts into the micro-elements of the match are uncanny and it's almost depressing that no one ever picks up upon them. Leading up to this match, Reigns was, without fail, the single Shield member that was itchingly quick to bring the fight to The Wyatts. It was always him that looked fear in the eyes and laughed. Yet not this time. At the start of the finishing stretch when he realised that Ambrose was AWOL and Rollins was in as many pieces as the announce table, he had an unfamiliar expression upon his face; that of overwhelming uncertaintity and fear. It was nothing but delicious icing to this scrumptious cake.

Easy, easy, easy placer.

supersonic

Re: Bray Wyatt, Luke Harper, & Erick Rowan vs. Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, & Roman Reigns (WWE 02/23/14)

Post by supersonic » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:20 am

The Shield vs. The Wyatt Family

The crowd is historically hot for this match, giving it the Joe vs. Kobashi treatment. That means the fans were already expressing their pure bliss at these two juggernaut units colliding before they even laid hands on each other.

What makes this such a special match is that it was probably the wildest we'll see from WWE in 2014. The past couple years, that nod has gone to Brock Lesnar's classics with John Cena and CM Punk. But this was chaotic, a true spectacle in every sense of the word.

Both trios did an absolutely phenomenal job of cutting the ring in half, with Seth Rollins stepping up to play a tremendous sympathetic babyface. It was a sight to behold seeing the Shield get a true taste of their style, often succumbing to the numbers game. In particular, Rollins's delivery and timing of his hope spots legitimately reminded me of Shawn Michaels.

While the Shield had come into this match with tension within their own unit, the Wyatt Family was quarterbacked by Bray Wyatt, calling the plays for Luke Harper & Erick Rowan. It was a wonderful contrast. Wyatt's disciples did a wonderful job in dominating this match.

But this was no squash. The hot-headed Dean Ambrose brought his chaotic sabotaging to what the Wyatts were doing, with Roman Reigns of course getting in his power moves. As the match kept going, the crowd never died, and rallied behind the Shield even while popping for the segments in which the Wyatt Family got the upper hand.

Ambrose and Wyatt brawled to the crowd, with only Wyatt returning, and then ordered his disciples to put Rollins through a table. Reigns put on a great solo performance once again, but this time couldn't capture the magic he had at Survivor Series 2013. As he went to spear Wyatt, Harper jumped in the ring and took the fall, allowing Wyatt to finish Reigns off in a beautiful example of teamwork.

This match will stand the test of time. Yes, it was something meant for WrestleMania. But it happened here, and it was a work of art, a piece of magic that these two teams may never duplicate together, even though I actually sense they could do better in a gimmick match environment. This was a mixture of Chikara gimmicks with golden age ROH/PWG action, complete with WWE producers' polishing. ****3/4