Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns (WWE 03/29/2015)

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns (WWE 03/29/2015)

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:20 pm

I have no problem with the finish, but it completely eliminates this match from an all time level. I know that probably makes no sense to most, but it makes sense to me. I can't rate a match with a WWE style MITB finish among the greatest matches ever, I just can't.

Wiretaup

Post by Wiretaup » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Same here.

It's still a fantastic match, but turning the finish into an angle firmly takes it down a peg.

Statoke

Post by Statoke » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:00 pm

Currently sitting around number 5 for this year and ****3/4 but I just couldn't put this on a GOAT list. Lesnar/Reigns was great and Rollins cashing in made me mark out hard but not all time great.
HEAT UP SUPERFAN! BEST OF HEAT UP

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:10 am

WWE Title Match
Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns

Now of course, was this the right main event? I still say no, even with how shockingly great this turned out to be, as the “right main event” I’m referring to has the potential on paper to be a true all-time classic for the industry should it ever actually occur.

Now with that said, I went into Levi’s Stadium, despite how disappointing the Reigns push was, hoping these two would give me my money’s worth and prove everybody wrong that was concerned about the predicted lack of chemistry these two would have. And I’m happy to say that I was totally wrong in that regard.

Start to finish, this entire presentation was top-notch art. In a match perfectly structured for each other’s strengths, they went out and smashed it for the top prize in the industry. From Lesnar getting the early domination segment (in a manner far more captivating than Kane or Big Show struggled to reach against Reigns in the months leading up to this), to Reigns smiling to show he could absorb the pain that the Beast Incarnate unleashed upon him, to Lesnar juicing after being slammed head-first into a ring post to transition to Reigns shining, I could not have asked for a better match from these two.

It wasn’t just the structure of this match, or even the off-the-charts, unforgettable finish that made this a special match between two bad-ass heavyweights. The crowd provided an AMAZING big fight atmosphere that translated exceptionally well to the broadcast, and I can say that live it was a pleasure to be a part of. Lesnar was the hottest babyface on the roster, and Reigns through no fault of his own was the biggest heel to a significant portion of those in the Bay Area that weekend.

Now as for the finish, nobody could’ve really seen it coming after the booking of the prior several weeks and Lesnar signing a contract extension just days earlier. But to see Seth Rollins, the former Tyler Black, sprint to the ring once Reigns had knocked down Lesnar (but still struggling himself to take advantage thanks to the former UFC World Heavyweight Champion’s brutality), and successfully cash in the Money in the Bank briefcase, was a rewarding live experience I’ll remember forever, reminding me of why I remain a fan of such an often-disappointing niche industry after 18 years. He had worked his ass off to achieve the Shawn Michaels spot I foresaw for him a year earlier, and it was the right call to make to give the company a chance to (hopefully) re-evaluate the path for Reigns to reach his inevitable coronation. Plus, Reigns seeing a bit of humility doesn’t hurt him, and Lesnar is still protected since he didn’t do the job. This also adds a layer to the choice Rollins made to sell out and destroy the Shield, in what I hope one day will pay off in that particular threeway dream match so many of us yearn for. ****1/2