Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:26 pm

The Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast returns with a detailed look at New Japan Pro Wrestling's Best of the Super Juniors finals, where Will Ospreay goes from here, if he will win the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship and why he may be one of the best wrestlers in the world right now. We then turn our attention to NJPW's upcoming Dominion show where we preview the card thus far and compare it to last year's show. Last but certainly not least, we preview this Sunday's TNA Slammiversary PPV and briefly discuss half-year Observer Award winners.

Shining Wiz

Re: Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Post by Shining Wiz » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 pm

Just on the first topic, but spot on about Ospreay's selling ability. I'd go so far as to say he might be the best right now at making his selling organically part of his matches.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:04 pm

Just getting through the BOSJ talk right now. Great so far.

Just wanted to say that to all the anti-gaijin talk: did you not see KUSHIDA in this tournament? The guy is massively pushed and massively over. If you think that Ospraey getting the rub isn't going to be a tide that lifts all boats, of all nationalities, then I don't know what to tell you. The tournament gave a great shine to pretty much every wrestler that participated, including the Japanese talent.

The only argument I could buy at all would be about BUSHI. But he's fine. It's not a burial to "not" get a push; and even though he took a lot of pins he got a great final moment beating the champion. They aren't shitting on BUSHI, it just wasn't his tournament to be front-and-center.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:17 pm

I thought BUSHI came out of the tour looking pretty damn strong. Certainly not weaker than when he entered. He got the big main even spoiler win over the champion ace on the final night. That's way more important than losing the first three matches, two of which nobody will ever remember because they happened on tour stops.

Forgot to make this point on the show, but the best thing about this tournament was how unpredictable it was and how it kept people guessing. Can't remember the last BOSJ that captured the attention of the wrestling world as much as this one did.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:42 pm

I'm on the brief G1 talk:

I'm familiar with tradition, but is it totally outside the realm of possibility for someone to win and challenge for the Intercontinental title? You could still do Okada/Naito while doing something else with the G1.

Granted, I don't think it'd be likely. NJPW prefers to pick safe and then overdeliver by making something obvious way more interesting then it may have seemed. They're likely to just do the obvious but challenge themselves to make it as juicy as possible.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:40 am

I think Rich is way off on the Promotion of the Year talk at the end of the pod. No way WWE wins this award, especially with the F4W voting pool. New Japan has become the de facto #1 and I don't see that changing. There's too much bad stuff with WWE to have it do well. And you have UFC, which is going to get a ton of votes. It'll end up going New Japan, UFC, then WWE. The last critically acclaimed year for WWE was 2013, yeah? I mean that was my favorite New Japan year of the Bushiroad era and there was all that buzz with them and the G1 and Tanahashi vs. Okada so there was no way WWE was winning that year, but UFC finished ahead of them also. There's 0 chance of WWE running away with this one.

If I had it my way, EVOLVE would place above WWE because I think EVOLVE is showing tremendous strides as a business - drawing their biggest houses ever in Dallas is something that I think everyone has to value, their houses in Florida are up, and they're beginning to tour in new towns and those towns are doing well. It's apples and oranges when comparing their business with WWE, but you can't discredit what EVOLVE has done this year.

Personally, I don't factor in business for that award. I wish Dave would specify what he wants but we all know that isn't happening. My top 3 right now is Dragon Gate, EVOLVE, and All Japan.

ceftaxias

Post by ceftaxias » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:10 am

One thing to note about Flair/Thesz is that Dave is not sold on Naito as a legit top guy and has yet to give his seal of approval. If Dave hit on the point that Naito has filled in for Nakamura with ease and LIJ is pretty handily the hottest act in Japan I could see him having a better case.

Meanwhile AJ has the match quality, the main events, and the small guy being "held down" cred which is absolutely a factor for a lot of people no matter how ridiculous it is. At least at the half way point I see it as his award to lose, and he could be SmackDown World Champ for all we know later in the year.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:03 pm

Rich,I really need to listen to that Chicken recipe episode.
NJPW Dominion has the potential to be a Show of the year contender. I'm actually really excited for Yoshi-Hashi/Ishii x Bushi/SANADA. Yoshi Hashi has won me over during these LiJ x Chaos matches. I was watching a Road to Dominion show at Korakuen from last year and Yoshi Hashi was in with Goto and my god, he was waaaay more over than Goto and iMO if you give him a slight singles push, he will be more over than Goto when G1 is over.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:56 pm

InYourCase wrote:I think Rich is way off on the Promotion of the Year talk at the end of the pod. No way WWE wins this award, especially with the F4W voting pool. New Japan has become the de facto #1 and I don't see that changing. There's too much bad stuff with WWE to have it do well. And you have UFC, which is going to get a ton of votes. It'll end up going New Japan, UFC, then WWE. The last critically acclaimed year for WWE was 2013, yeah? I mean that was my favorite New Japan year of the Bushiroad era and there was all that buzz with them and the G1 and Tanahashi vs. Okada so there was no way WWE was winning that year, but UFC finished ahead of them also. There's 0 chance of WWE running away with this one.
I'm interested to see if the F4W voting pool changes in a post-Nakamura/Styles NJPW era. And I'm serious with that. We've seen how many of them were attached to both but Nakamura mostly as he ALWAYS did well in voting. I could see a large chunk of the casual-esque NJPW/F4W voting pool ditching them this year. I don't know, we'll see. I'm probably underrating Dave's influence too and you know he's going to pimp New Japan as a definite contender and others will follow his lead.

Either way, I think WWE has more of a chance than you're giving them.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:57 pm

ayaashm wrote:Rich,I really need to listen to that Chicken recipe episode.
Have Joe find it for you. I'm convinced it is a lost episode that didn't record properly and get released. He claims otherwise.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:22 pm

Great pod as ever. The fact that the Slammiversary preview got off to an awkward start with Rich not knowing how to pronounce anybody's names cracked me up so much.

I was really in love with Ospreay's selling, and his whole arc in NJPW has been just fantastic. He's the young cocky guy who Okada gave his stamp of approval to, so much like Okada he waltzes in and thinks he has it all figured out. KUSHIDA targets the arm, the same game plan as ever, and Ospreay gets destroyed by it because he's too busy showing off like an idiot. He starts the tournament by losing a lot, then slowly gains momentum and finally overcomes a veteran in Taguchi who is putting his best foot forward (in front of a hometown crowd, I think was pointed out by E Key Oide on twitter). The ankle getting worked over by Taguchi was sold so well I got totally worked the first time I watched the match - it just seemed to come out of such an innocuous landing I was convinced he really did roll his ankle in a bad way at first. Just .. great damn stuff.

I don't know if the culmination of the story is that he's wisened up by the tournament and now can defeat KUSHIDA but I think I'll be happy with that match whatever happens, and I like that KUSHIDA's old contenders are getting up in his business, too, what with BUSHI still wanting that title, wanting a revenge, and even Liger saying he wants another shot. BOSJ really was a ton of fun.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm

suplexberry wrote:Great pod as ever. The fact that the Slammiversary preview got off to an awkward start with Rich not knowing how to pronounce anybody's names cracked me up so much.
In my defense, I had spent the prior day binge watching TNA and THE POPE always pronounces Grado improperly lol.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:28 pm

ceftaxias wrote:One thing to note about Flair/Thesz is that Dave is not sold on Naito as a legit top guy and has yet to give his seal of approval. If Dave hit on the point that Naito has filled in for Nakamura with ease and LIJ is pretty handily the hottest act in Japan I could see him having a better case.

Meanwhile AJ has the match quality, the main events, and the small guy being "held down" cred which is absolutely a factor for a lot of people no matter how ridiculous it is. At least at the half way point I see it as his award to lose, and he could be SmackDown World Champ for all we know later in the year.
This is a good point, a lot of voters tend to parrot dave. I'm not sure what evidence dave is waiting for on Naito/LIJ, unless he means long term which is still up in the air, but the Invasion Attack sellout was only (I think) the third non G1 Sumo Hall sellout since the dark days and the merch is always #1 and dominates the top ten.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:30 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
ayaashm wrote:Rich,I really need to listen to that Chicken recipe episode.
Have Joe find it for you. I'm convinced it is a lost episode that didn't record properly and get released. He claims otherwise.
It was years ago and probably long gone. I think it was the podmatic days. I know it made tape though because I remember being asked about it by listeners for the next few days.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:18 pm

Great pod. Totally agree on the Ospreay and Gaijin talk. The idea of KUSHIDA not having a singles match at The Dome saddens me, but Joe's argument for an Ospreay/Ricochet match makes too much sense. Maybe KUSHIDA can get a crack at that Never title or something of that sort.

Is PWG ever talked about for "Promotion Of The Year"? Because last year I think they deserved to win based on show enjoyability alone, and this year they're off to a pretty great start.

I also would throw Tomohiro Ishii into the mix for Most Outstanding. His matches with Shibata at The Dome and New Beginning coupled with his series with Naito in the NJ Cup and at Dontaku give him as many high level matches as Styles. I was also a huge fan of the singles matches he had with EVIL.