Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:59 pm

I forgot about Ishii and a million other guys. Ishii was out of sight , out of mind during the conversation.

Also after last night I have to put Joe/Balor into the Feud of the Year discussion. I posted expanded thoughts on Twitter as to why.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:26 am

Joe Lanza wrote:I forgot about Ishii and a million other guys. Ishii was out of sight , out of mind during the conversation.

Also after last night I have to put Joe/Balor into the Feud of the Year discussion. I posted expanded thoughts on Twitter as to why.
Outside of maybe Styles/Reigns and LIJ/CHAOS, is there anything else in the discussion?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jun 10, 2016 1:58 am

Shining Wiz wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:I forgot about Ishii and a million other guys. Ishii was out of sight , out of mind during the conversation.

Outside of maybe Styles/Reigns and LIJ/CHAOS, is there anything else in the discussion?
Revival/AA

Shibata/Dads

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:30 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
Shining Wiz wrote:

Revival/AA

Shibata/Dads
Shibata/Dads definitely. Never thought of Revival/AA.....I guess I think of them more as a series of matches rather than a feud proper, but I can see their inclusion.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:06 pm

Re: Promotion of the Year, I think you can absolutely make the case that WWE is the best promotion this year with or without including NXT. Main roster alone has been very good since Mania with good TV, good pay per views and actual business doing well (having the biggest attended NA show ever helps). It also was fairly decent prior to Mania as well.

Re: Weekly show, the "Smackdown feels inconsequential" complaint really seems very 2015 to me and does reflect the work that is coming out each week. Maybe the main event angles aren't always the focus, but the rest of the card/roster sees significant progress on SD and the shows have been consistently good all year. I would even say we've reached the point that those who lament Raw every week would be better off watching just Smackdown. You get a good show, anything you miss on Raw gets covered and the wrestling is good. What more can you ask from a weekly show?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:10 pm

mlev76 wrote:Re: Weekly show, the "Smackdown feels inconsequential" complaint really seems very 2015 to me and does reflect the work that is coming out each week. Maybe the main event angles aren't always the focus, but the rest of the card/roster sees significant progress on SD and the shows have been consistently good all year. I would even say we've reached the point that those who lament Raw every week would be better off watching just Smackdown. You get a good show, anything you miss on Raw gets covered and the wrestling is good. What more can you ask from a weekly show?
inconsequential

adjective
1. of little or no importance; insignificant; trivial.
Nobody is arguing it isn't a good show, it's been very good this entire year and is almost undoubtedly a better weekly show than Raw. We/I didn't say it was a bad show, that it feels inconsequential which is exactly what it is in the grand scheme of things, as you correctly pointed out.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:13 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
mlev76 wrote:Re: Weekly show, the "Smackdown feels inconsequential" complaint really seems very 2015 to me and does reflect the work that is coming out each week. Maybe the main event angles aren't always the focus, but the rest of the card/roster sees significant progress on SD and the shows have been consistently good all year. I would even say we've reached the point that those who lament Raw every week would be better off watching just Smackdown. You get a good show, anything you miss on Raw gets covered and the wrestling is good. What more can you ask from a weekly show?
inconsequential

adjective
Nobody is arguing it isn't a good show, it's been very good this entire year and is almost undoubtedly a better weekly show than Raw. We/I didn't say it was a bad show, that it feels inconsequential which is exactly what it is in the grand scheme of things, as you correctly pointed out.
And I'm saying that I disagree with this assessment completely. Like I said, the main event angles (Roman, Cena stuff) tends not to get touched, but many of the upper midcard feuds get moved forward on Smackdown. For example, I may be wrong here, but the fatal fourway tag match for MITB was announced on Smackdown and we got to see the four teams interact both on the mic and in the ring.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:24 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
inconsequential

adjective
And I'm saying that I disagree with this assessment completely. Like I said, the main event angles (Roman, Cena stuff) tends not to get touched, but many of the upper midcard feuds get moved forward on Smackdown. For example, I may be wrong here, but the fatal fourway tag match for MITB was announced on Smackdown and we got to see the four teams interact both on the mic and in the ring.
Match was announced on Raw:

WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day will face WWE’s New Era head-on when they battle three new teams on the scene — Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson, Enzo Amore & Big Cass, and The Vaudevillains — in a Fatal 4-Way Match at WWE Money in the Bank.

The championship clash was made by WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon, at the unsolicited recommendation of former SmackDown General Manager Teddy Long, on the June 6 edition of Raw. http://www.wwe.com/shows/moneyinthebank ... atal-4-way

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:35 pm

Smackdown the past two weeks in particular have been aggressively just a show to me. I don't think anyone who I follow even watched it last night. :shock:

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:00 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:

Match was announced on Raw:

WWE Tag Team Champions The New Day will face WWE’s New Era head-on when they battle three new teams on the scene — Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson, Enzo Amore & Big Cass, and The Vaudevillains — in a Fatal 4-Way Match at WWE Money in the Bank.

The championship clash was made by WWE Chief Brand Officer Stephanie McMahon, at the unsolicited recommendation of former SmackDown General Manager Teddy Long, on the June 6 edition of Raw. http://www.wwe.com/shows/moneyinthebank ... atal-4-way
My bad.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:20 pm

Great show, although I admittedly skipped the Slammiversery preview. Ospreay and Gajin talk at the start was spot-on.

I know this is a pro wrestling podcast/site, but you forgot to mention UFC in the Promotion of the Year award debate. If I had to bet, New Japan wins and UFC is second. UFC should win, but enough voters don't watch MMA or don't include it in the category.

Aghast at the thought of Raw winning Best Weekly Television Show. I had to stop watching after 22 years of hardly missing a show. Non-WrestleMania PPV's have been great this year, but the weekly television is just beyond garbage.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:31 pm

We approach the WON Award talk a bit differently on our show. We completely ignore MMA. Even when we break down the actual winners, we focus on the highest placing wrestling finisher in the categories MMA wins.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:48 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:We approach the WON Award talk a bit differently on our show. We completely ignore MMA. Even when we break down the actual winners, we focus on the highest placing wrestling finisher in the categories MMA wins.
Thanks for clearing that up.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:57 am

I have been binge watching this year's BOSJ along with some old ECW TV and I have come up with one question, is Will Ospreay to wrestling what Rey Mysterio was 20 years ago?

I'm looking at Rey's 94-96 run compared to Will's 14-16 run so far and they are quite similar. For me, who was a teenager during Rey's said run, I am getting just as excited and am just as amazed when watching Will Ospreay as I did back then for Rey.

First thing that comes to mind is the touring matches both have with the same opponent. Rey had Psicosis and Will has Marty Scurll. All 4 wrestlers became major players not only in their home country but all over the world with these matches. Rey and Will would even benefit from these matches by landing "deals" in major companies; WCW for Rey and NJPW for WIll.

Even their popularity and buzz came around 20 years apart from each other. In 94, I would hear about this Rey Mysterio guy but would never see any of his matches from that year until a year or two later tape trading. In 2014, I would hear a similar buzz about WIll but was so oblivious to Progress and the UK scene that it would be almost a year until i saw his work. Fast forward to 1995 and 2015 respectfully, Rey was making his name in Japan wrestling on the Super J Cup (non tournament match) and in US wrestling in ECW. Concurrently, WIll made his name known in Japan by working stars like Okada and Styles in Rev Pro while making a name in the US appearing in BOLA. Finally in 1996, Rey would be having MOTYC classic matches in WCW while in 2016 Will would be doing the same by tearing the house down in places like Evolve and PWG. Hell even their ages during this time period was damn near the same. Rey was 21 going on 22 and WIll is 22 going on 23.

Thoughts?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:21 am

itsberlo wrote:I have been binge watching this year's BOSJ along with some old ECW TV and I have come up with one question, is Will Ospreay to wrestling what Rey Mysterio was 20 years ago?

I'm looking at Rey's 94-96 run compared to Will's 14-16 run so far and they are quite similar. For me, who was a teenager during Rey's said run, I am getting just as excited and am just as amazed when watching Will Ospreay as I did back then for Rey.

First thing that comes to mind is the touring matches both have with the same opponent. Rey had Psicosis and Will has Marty Scurll. All 4 wrestlers became major players not only in their home country but all over the world with these matches. Rey and Will would even benefit from these matches by landing "deals" in major companies; WCW for Rey and NJPW for WIll.

Even their popularity and buzz came around 20 years apart from each other. In 94, I would hear about this Rey Mysterio guy but would never see any of his matches from that year until a year or two later tape trading. In 2014, I would hear a similar buzz about WIll but was so oblivious to Progress and the UK scene that it would be almost a year until i saw his work. Fast forward to 1995 and 2015 respectfully, Rey was making his name in Japan wrestling on the Super J Cup (non tournament match) and in US wrestling in ECW. Concurrently, WIll made his name known in Japan by working stars like Okada and Styles in Rev Pro while making a name in the US appearing in BOLA. Finally in 1996, Rey would be having MOTYC classic matches in WCW while in 2016 Will would be doing the same by tearing the house down in places like Evolve and PWG. Hell even their ages during this time period was damn near the same. Rey was 21 going on 22 and WIll is 22 going on 23.

Thoughts?
I've been saying for a while now that we're watching 1994 Rey right in front of our eyes. Spot on with all of this.