Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
suplexberry

Re: Best of the Super Juniors, NJPW Dominion, Slammiversary & more!

Post by suplexberry » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:45 am

As a huge Rey fan love this comparison, feels very accurate.

With that said, I hope Will follows the smart example set by some long time indy guys and transitions from a high flyer into a more mat-based/technical wrestler by the time he's 30, so he can continue to have a career and not have destroyed his knees. I love Rey and I know he didn't have the option of switching because his character and his style were synonymous and he was on the big stage, but I really hope Ospreay gets a long career that doesn't rely on a high impact style. He can easily diversify his offense.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:27 pm

I haven't been able to pinpoint why Carmella just doesn't work for me...but I think Joe hit it on the head...she looks like a nice girl, looks like she tries hard, and she works hard to get better...but not a damn thing about her looks natural.

If I could make a comparison...she looks like an "actress" that's out there doing plays at the very local playhouse, doing just above high school renditions of West Side Story, Grease, and A Christmas Carol when she's not teaching 5th Grade Language Arts.

Meanwhile, she's on the same card as Shinsuke Nakamura, Samoa Joe, Austin Aries, and Bayley who are going full Lin-Manuel Miranda.

There is just such an obvious divide in NXT between who can hang and who can't hang...who's got it and who doesn't...when you see someone who truly needs development from the ground up, like a Carmella...she sticks out like a sore thumb. Even when she was with Enzo and Cass, two guys with deficiencies but clearly have something - Enzo on the mic and Cass with his presence (tough to pinpoint, but the more I see him, the more I get why the WWE likes him) - she just came off as not belonging.
Last edited by BoxingRobes on Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Carmella probably would have made a decent 2nd string Nitro Girl.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:26 pm

People are probably tired of me saying this, but the gimmick isn't helping her. Yes, she totally looks like the kind of girl I'd date in 1997, and has the look of your typical tough east coast sassy Eye-talian broad who chomps gum and doesn't take any guff from the likes of Joe Lanza, but she very very VERY clearly has trouble conveying that as it is very apparent that this isn't even close to who she really is. You don't have to be Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny to pull it off, but I get the idea Carmella didn't even grow up around these types to where she understands the mannerisms or can dial it up to 11 even if she had a little bit of it in her. Compare to Enzo, who based on his old instagram and such was very clearly a Jersey douchebag type, and has been able to dial it up to where even as ridiculous as he comes off, there is still something believable about it. There is a noticeable difference between dialing it up and forcing it. Larry's community theater comparison is spot on. Carmella is playing a role (badly), and it shows.

I don't know, I just feel like a complete reboot is in order, but she has such a lack of natural ability that I don't think it will matter. She's a valet.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:45 pm

JJ Williams noticed that she has dropped the fur coat.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:53 pm

Next up should be the moonwalking. So cringe.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:06 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:People are probably tired of me saying this, but the gimmick isn't helping her. Yes, she totally looks like the kind of girl I'd date in 1997, and has the look of your typical tough east coast sassy Eye-talian broad who chomps gum and doesn't take any guff from the likes of Joe Lanza, but she very very VERY clearly has trouble conveying that as it is very apparent that this isn't even close to who she really is. You don't have to be Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny to pull it off, but I get the idea Carmella didn't even grow up around these types to where she understands the mannerisms or can dial it up to 11 even if she had a little bit of it in her. Compare to Enzo, who based on his old instagram and such was very clearly a Jersey douchebag type, and has been able to dial it up to where even as ridiculous as he comes off, there is still something believable about it. There is a noticeable difference between dialing it up and forcing it. Larry's community theater comparison is spot on. Carmella is playing a role (badly), and it shows.

I don't know, I just feel like a complete reboot is in order, but she has such a lack of natural ability that I don't think it will matter. She's a valet.
What is the "reboot" for women in the WWE? There isn't exactly big swings in gimmicks with the ladies. You basically go from face to bitch. With Emma, oddly, it worked (and her rockin the aviators has turned her from a 9 to a 10...my lord the dickins aches). Its been...whatever for Alexa Bliss (although, being paired with two cornballs like Blake and Murphy didn't help despite her Freddy Krueger outfit the really firing up my rocketship).

As for Carmella, I don't think she can pull off a similar transition. She clearly can't stand on her own. Everything comes off as forced, whether it was the bitchy, too hot fabulous version when she showed up (which made no sense since Enzo and Cass were faces)...the face version that has erratic dancing mid-match doesn't do anything for anybody. I just don't know what would help her out...like you said, she just isn't natural at this.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:10 pm

6 posts and counting + 4 minutes of a podcast dedicated to analyzing CARMELLA.

What a time to be alive.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:36 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:6 posts and counting + 4 minutes of a podcast dedicated to analyzing CARMELLA.

What a time to be alive.

Hey, It's why I love Joe and this place!
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:32 am

People always forget Dragon Gate in the promotion of the year discussions. Second biggest promotion in Japan, consistently good attendance, consistently good matches, easily accessible shows.