VOW Flagship: Okada/Suzuki, New Beginning, Elimination Chamber & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: Okada/Suzuki, New Beginning, Elimination Chamber & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:15 am

Topics on this week's episode include the huge main event of New Beginning in Sapporo Kazuchika Okada vs. Minoru Suzuki. We break down Okada's leg selling, the structure of the match and how watching live versus taped could have an affect on your rating. We also break down the rest of the New Beginning in Sapporo match including Dragon Lee's incredible NJPW World theme music.

Other topics include WWE Elimination Chamber, our preview and thoughts on Sunday's PPV, the upcoming NJPW New Beginning in Osaka show, a relationship built between NOAH and Impact Wrestling, WWE UK wrestlers pulled off more shows and much more.

Support our sponsors!

BloomThat: Get the perfect Valentine's Day Gift — a free vase, caramel treats and a spectacular bouquet at http://BloomThat.com/VOW.

Mack Weldon: Mack Weldon will be the most comfortable underwear, socks, shirts, undershirts, hoodies and sweat pants that you will ever wear. Go to http://MackWeldon.com and get 20% off using promo code VOWRESTLING.

We're currently having issues with our iTunes feed and would suggest listeners subscribe via our direct RSS link at http://audioboom.com/channels/4561971.rss or http://feeds.feedburner.com/VoicesofWrestling. We'd also recommend seeking out alternative podcast applications including TuneIn, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, PocketCasts, Overcast and Downcast.

VOW: http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... n-chamber/
AudioBoom:

phpBB [audio]

Lawsoncomedy

Re: VOW Flagship: Okada/Suzuki, New Beginning, Elimination Chamber & more!

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:49 am

I agree with Joe about that last long sell spot. I thought it was a MOTY contender until then. I was watching with my girlfriend, who has seen a total of less than 20 pro wrestling matches in her life and I was there for all of them, and she was really into the match and Okada's selling until that spot. It unsuspended her disbelief, and mine as well. No one could survive a kneebar that long, 35 minutes into a match. It was egregious. I mean if Roman Reigns had been in a Walls of Jericho for that long without submitting, we'd all take issue with it, so fair is fair. I had no issue with Okada's comeback because I knew when he didn't submit that he was coming back and winning. Then I was just interested to see how.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:30 am

I honestly liked TAKA/Taichi vs. RPG Vice :P

And as far as Elgin coming out after Tana, I don't think it's a big takeaway at all. Elgin's headlining the next show and Tanahashi isn't, it's that simple.

One thing to note is that the next RevPro show has ZSJ in a non-title match against some other guy, so Shibata could feasibly lose in Osaka and get a rematch at Epic Encounter.

Probability of change: Trios, Tag, Junior, IC, RPW
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:21 am

I'm 27, and I really like Chamber matches. They never produce MOTY's, but they're also very rarely bad. They're usually good to great. It's a fun way to tell stories, much like elimination tag matches.

They're also the most fun stip match in WWE video games.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:06 am

There's no tourist attraction more disappointing than the Alamo. So barren, no charisma, a sweatbox.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:38 am

Of all the young person names I've heard (Young Boy, Jobber, Probie, Slick) River People is by far the best.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 am

Lanza...I've already created a rating scale that helps you for these Okada-Suzuki moments...

Your official rating...

****1/4+

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:43 pm

I got a text in the middle of listening and was too lazy to pause so I just focused on typing a message, not really listening for a while, and then listened more carefully again and suddenly you guys were breaking down who died at the Alamo. Never change, flagship.

Fucked up about iTunes. I still have an iPod from 2007 that works so I use iTunes, but I always keep the software as old as it allows me, since with every update the software seems to get worse and worse. It's a sucky product, overall, but so far it's not given me any problems with regards to your podcast - I may be the only one. I sometimes listen on my phone and just dl the file, but I prefer to listen on the iPod so I don't use up my phone battery.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:24 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Lanza...I've already created a rating scale that helps you for these Okada-Suzuki moments...

Your official rating...

****1/4+
Larry did revolutionize the *+/- system many moons ago.

ch3cooh

Post by ch3cooh » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:32 pm

As an engineer I would support 1/8 stars over Joe's 1/5 stars. I think ****3/8 is better halfway point than ****2/5

To me the psychology of selling, hope spots/cutoffs, and comebacks is that the energy of the crowd gives the babyface the courage to fight through the pain until the heel attacks the injured limb and the pain is too much causing the babyface to shut back down. And you go through that cycle over and over until the energy from the crowd pushes the babyface over the edge to finally overcome the heel.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:41 pm

Look, the alphabetical system (A* to F-) is the best way to go.

Other thoughts:

Selling is selling. I never pay too much attention to it.
Hardys to ROH would stem their bleeding a bit.
TNA/NOAH is gonna be great for NOAH.
Saints Row in my wrestling podcast? This is fine.
Don't care to watch Elimination Chamber. Haven't been following WWE personally for a while due to work.
The rundown on ROH's current roster was great. Might want that as a Clip, @strikermura.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:56 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:I honestly liked TAKA/Taichi vs. RPG Vice :P
So did I tbh, I was ready to hate it really badly at first, but the second half was really good. I could do without Taichi's usual shit, but it was a ***- *** 1/4 match for me, didn't expect that at all.

As for Okada, not only his current title run is fucking fantastic, but all of the matches are different. Marufuji, Omega, Suzuki - all of them very different from the other, also the G1 matches with Ishii, Tanahashi and Marufuji were really unique as well. That's six strong MOTY contenders in like 5-6 months, each of them different from the other, so it's kinda laughable when people call him a boring and a formulatic worker. You may not enjoy the Suzuki bout, but you will probably like the Marufuji one. You may not be a fan of the Omega match but hey, there is the Ishii match or the Tanahashi G1 draw. 6 awesome matches, all different. Dude is producing MOTY contenders every second month now, and the scary thing is that he isn't even 30 yet. And keep in mind that Tanahashi's peak happened when he was 34-36..

So yeah, you may not be Okada's fan, that's fair, I personally think there are few better guys in the world as well. But calling him a boring, formulatic worker is already weird, and THEN questioning NJPW pushing the dude to the moon is just straight out laughable.

Great show as always, hope you will be able to get the iTunes people back somehow.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Danwaka wrote:Look, the alphabetical system (A* to F-) is the best way to go.
Is it though?

You have more options and more possibilities with the star (1/2, 1/4, 3/4) system. Plus, as we always say. You can use words, letters, whatever... it's all roughly the same scale.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:35 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Danwaka wrote:Look, the alphabetical system (A* to F-) is the best way to go.
Is it though?

You have more options and more possibilities with the star (1/2, 1/4, 3/4) system.
Well on a visual scale, saying a plain F- comes off a lot better than 0 stars IMO. Plus you can always counterbalance the Alphabetical with straight numbers like in the wrestling sim series Total Extreme Wrestling and do A*/100 for the pedantics who really like to break it down. But yeah, it's people's preference mostly.

Also, disappointed you two didn't speculate on NOAH/TNA matches. I'm just waiting for Shiozaki/Marufuji vs. Lashley/Moose or Lashley/Moose vs. Sugiura/Kitamiya and a Galloway/Nakajima match. Global League this year should be interesting, I'm hoping.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:08 pm

Forgot to mention, the ROH roster run-down was hilarious because it's true yet depressing how true it really is.