VOW Flagship: Okada/Suzuki, New Beginning, Elimination Chamber & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Lawsoncomedy

Re: VOW Flagship: Okada/Suzuki, New Beginning, Elimination Chamber & more!

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:05 am

Do we know how long Jay White is going to be on the roster?

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:47 am

Just some quick rapid-fire thoughts on the show's subjects.

- I took the No-Apple vow a long time ago. Competitors' products are better anyway.
- After hearing about Masato Yoshino's recent injury, I'm pretty much done entertaining the lamentations of the selling fetishists. Adrenaline, it seems, really can get you through anything, like Rich mentioned.
- I agree that the New Japan roster being "tiered" is nice, but I also think, if done correctly, a roster where most guys are portrayed as being very close to each other in skill works very well. ROH used to do a pretty good job of that back in their heyday where guys like Aries had a revolving door of challengers while they were champ that were all credible as legitimate threats to win the belt. There was a point where PROGRESS had a similar atmosphere. Makes for an interesting title picture at times.
- I live in New Braunfels and can confirm that Schlitterbahn is far from the cleanest of places. You dodged a bullet, Joe.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:57 am

oldskool wrote: It's tough to put together storylines when seemingly half your roster isn't signed to contracts...and said roster members are more hesitant to sign because of the lack of pushes and storylines...really feels like ROH has dug themselves into a vicious feedback cycle here and I'm not really sure how they get out of it.
Where the Joe/Punk/Danielson era had talent topping out on indies via ROH. The Corporate Sinclair era had Kevin Steen kinda creating the idea that being eventually pissed off with ROH and washing your hands of them is a career milestone or graduation point. Others have since followed:

Deciding "fuck this shit" is the new ROH World Championship essentially.

There's a very health post-ROH support group in WWE/NXT and EVOLVE these days

EvanDeadlySins

Post by EvanDeadlySins » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:48 am

I enjoy how 31-year-old Jay Lethal was referred to as a "good, aging veteran hand."

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:39 am

EvanDeadlySins wrote:I enjoy how 31-year-old Jay Lethal was referred to as a "good, aging veteran hand."
listen, I was on a roll with the gimmick by that point

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:50 am

BackLash wrote:
Danwaka wrote:If Suzuki had rolled up with just KES and Desperado and then started recruiting new dudes then it might have been better appreciated. Maybe a five man unit of Suzuki, Desperado, KES and Robinson....
As the Suzuki-gun flag bearer I think Taka still has his place. I also think he's still a great wrestler after all these years and a fantastic heel...by himself.

All due respect to Taichi, because his heel act is pretty good and his look is just cool, but he is horrible as a wrestler and he holds Taka back.
Taichi needs to go team up with KENSO and be ironically bad in DDT.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:59 am

While WWE is not perfect (like our RoH, their talent booking is also pretty hit or miss), at least when it comes to management they are probably the best company in the Western Hemisphere. In that company, not only do you know who is in charge and who to go to for specific reasons, but you don't get the feeling that the person you're supposed to go to is ducking you.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:15 pm

EvanDeadlySins wrote:I enjoy how 31-year-old Jay Lethal was referred to as a "good, aging veteran hand."
Fuck off, Lethal is 31? I assumed he easily on the other side of 35..

The ROH roster run down was both hilarious and depressing. It is obvious to everyone Scurll is using it as a way to get his name more over in the US and audition for a potential New Japan gig. Could easily see him moving stateside like ZSJ and be done with ROH in a few months.

How long is Ospreay's deal with ROH? I feel he is regretting turning down the much hyped Heyman and Gabe public contract offer out of loyalty to New Japan. Seems like New Japan aren't fussed about Elgin sacking off ROH for good for wrestle for WWN.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:55 pm

Add me to the Elimination Chamber mark crowd, I love that shit and semi-regularly fantasy book the match in non-WWE promotions. I'm almost as old as you two fuckers: you gonna pick on me too?

With that said: I'm still a part of that "select few", listening to you two the whole way through is no burden on me.
Last edited by BlizzardAcolyte on Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:59 pm

Jacob's Bawks wrote:I honestly liked TAKA/Taichi vs. RPG Vice :P
Me too, but I'm just a TAKA mark (part of my vaunted List of Singles Workers whose Matches I Actually Watch) and have the horrible earworm of the TAKATaichi entrance theme that you'll probably never hear on NJPWorld.

Jacob's Bawks

Post by Jacob's Bawks » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:10 am

BlizzardAcolyte wrote:
Jacob's Bawks wrote:I honestly liked TAKA/Taichi vs. RPG Vice :P
Me too, but I'm just a TAKA mark (part of my vaunted List of Singles Workers whose Matches I Actually Watch) and have the horrible earworm of the TAKATaichi entrance theme that you'll probably never hear on NJPWorld.
This theme?

If not, it better be.
I dunno what I'm doing but come follow me on Twitter @Jacobs_Bawks

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:39 pm

The man's first match was on a 605 back in 1992...do you blame Joe for this comment?

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:25 pm

I never knew what Elimination Chamber was until the Network came along and I went on a binge watching everything with Rey I missed from about 2004-2011. Idea sounded stupid in concept but then I watched an awesome Chamber match with Rey and was sold. I think it ended with Rey vs Edge but I might be mixing that up.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:17 pm

RobViper13 wrote:I never knew what Elimination Chamber was until the Network came along and I went on a binge watching everything with Rey I missed from about 2004-2011. Idea sounded stupid in concept but then I watched an awesome Chamber match with Rey and was sold. I think it ended with Rey vs Edge but I might be mixing that up.
That was the 09 RAW Chamber Match. That was the best Elimination Chamber match ever, in my opinion.