VOW Flagship: NOAH The Reborn, Dragon Gate, ROH Anniversary & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: NOAH The Reborn, Dragon Gate, ROH Anniversary & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:15 am

New Japan Pro Wrestling and WWE are on the back-burner for this week's Voices of Wrestling flagship podcast as we spray to all fields including the return of Bounce Around Japan talking All Japan Pro Wrestling, Dragon Gate, NOAH The Reborn and the return of Inoki's Peace Festival! We also wax poetic on ROH's 15th anniversary, the ROH50 project and a loaded EVOLVE weekend.

Rate & Review us on iTunes! http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/itunes

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/0 ... niversary/

phpBB [audio]

suplexberry

Re: VOW Flagship: NOAH The Reborn, Dragon Gate, ROH Anniversary & more!

Post by suplexberry » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:25 pm

The card breakdowns of old with old sheetz was good stuff, as was the extended Bounce Around Japan, a GOAT segment if there ever was one.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:14 pm

STill listening to the show. In terms of Indy announcers, I have found Smash Wrestling's team largely inoffensive when I watch their shows. They tend to stay on topic with story lines with their commentary. They may be a little loud at points but i don't feel like they scream everything. It's more like two play by play men without color though so I can see that being detractor. I find Progress's team quite good. I do drown them out like Joe sometimes in favor of listening to the crowds crazy chants. But when I have listened to them I find them quite good at getting storylines across to the viewer.

duyarvish

Post by duyarvish » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:35 pm

You are crazy to call NOAH the Reborn the second best promotion of the year because it's clearly number one

Speedy Bellerin

Post by Speedy Bellerin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:16 pm

I'm only just starting to dip my toes in the water regarding NOAH and AJPW so a show like this is pretty informative.

Also a newbee to DG but I'm at the point where I know who pretty much everyone is. I think the long drawn out nature of Dream Gate matches is good at making them stand apart. They're completely different from anything in the company which helps give the title a certain prestige but damn if they were 15 minutes shorter and done at a higher tempo I'd be in heaven.

I'm sure I'll see good 45 minute matches for the title over the coming years but at the moment they're probably the part of the company I care about the least. The belt itself is cool as fuck though.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:14 am

I like the comments about how certain guys have a special vibe when you see them live.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:33 am

I've had that bloody Orient Express theme in my head from the moment I woke up. Cheers, lads...

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:47 pm

In terms of Indy commentators I think Joe Sposto (TAFKA Leonard F. Chikarason), Emil Jayand Mike Quackenbuah are pretty good commentators on the indies that were not mentioned on the podcast.
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:11 pm

I like Excalibur when he is flanked by Chuck Taylor and when he was flanked by Kevin Steen.

For PWG, they are good. Capture the vibe perfectly.

HeadCheese
Location: Zonie Winner, Jesus Lover, Cheese`s Lover, and Pasta Eater. Maker of Bad Jokes. Great plugger.

Post by HeadCheese » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:23 pm

Yay independent wrestling talk two weeks in a row and thankyou for recommending the NOAH The Reborn opening six man tag team match (watched it yesterday and it was very good).
I also liked the dirt sheet history and past event history.
I think the state off commentary is really good out there. Their is only a few times that commentators detracted from a match for me. Some commentators that I really like Aaron Bauer, Mike Quackenbush, the CWF Announce Team, Suge D, Denver Colorado Leonard F. Chikarason, and the PWG teams.
What do you think the EVOLVE Champion going to play in Wrestlemainia Weekend with the WWN Champion.
Thanks for reading this, great show.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:45 am

I'm trying to find where Akiyama said that he's not challenging for the TC or participating in the Champion Carnival going forward on Puro Spirit and Twitter, but I can't find where he said it.

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:08 am

BoxingRobes wrote:I like Excalibur when he is flanked by Chuck Taylor and when he was flanked by Kevin Steen.

For PWG, they are good. Capture the vibe perfectly.
I agree. I actually enjoy Excalibur more than Lenny Leonard, especially with the right guest as the ones you mentioned. A super serious sports like commentary team would not match the atmosphere at all. Leonard is good, but sometimes a bit dry for me.

steve

Post by steve » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Subscribed to Wrestle Circus off the back of this show.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:43 pm

avengers23 wrote:I'm trying to find where Akiyama said that he's not challenging for the TC or participating in the Champion Carnival going forward on Puro Spirit and Twitter, but I can't find where he said it.
It was a interview in Tokyo Sports.

Jumbo Tsuruta's kid paraphrased the interviews for his followers on twitter and linked to the interview.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:41 am

You guys talking about Dan Severn, Hack Meyers, Billy Fives, and Scoot Andrews (and Jun Akiyama kind of) made me remember a promotion called WXO where most of these guys wrestled and DiBiase had a hand in creating. It didn't last all that long and will only be remembered now for the crazy Johnny Ace promo and Fred Ottman getting stuck in his car.