Burning Spirits #49: All Japan Pro-Wrestling “2017 Raising an Army Series”

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:44 pm

With Drew out due to family obligations, Brennan takes the reigns and hosts the show as he and Kevin review the October 9th All Japan Pro-Wrestling Korakuen Hall show. The boys discuss all the big moments of the show, including Taiyo Kea's return to All Japan, firey six-man tag team action, a BANG! tv title defense, and a massive Triple Crown title match. Last but not least, they give each other wrestling match gifts to prepare for next week's 50th episode celebration!

http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2017/1 ... my-series/

Danwaka

Re: Burning Spirits #49: All Japan Pro-Wrestling “2017 Raising an Army Series”

Post by Danwaka » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:18 am

Thanks for answering my questions about Abe and Kea, guys. Kea's always felt to me like AJPW's answer to Kurt Angle, although obviously not as good. I feel like he still has some name value as a main event spot, not unlike Angle in WWE right now.

As for Abe, yeah I want him in the juniors. I've been sort of trying to take a look at Sportiva Dojo's crop of rookies, as they've had two or three juniors pop up since 2013 that I've heard some nice things about (Abe, Iwamoto and a guy named Shinya Ishida). I'm not happy about the Taijiri and Dragon title runs myself, but mixing in some of the older juniors like Ken Kid made it more palatable to me, sort of like a nostalgia run. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other masked ex-Osaka juniors like Tsubasa, Maruyama, Buffalo, etc...

Actually it's been a bit of a bugbear for me of how little All Japan has a presence in Osaka, given that Akiyama is an Osaka guy and so are Bodyguard and Zeus, plus they bring in Ryouji Sai a lot. I feel like 2013/2014 when OPW was imploding that it was a perfect time for AJPW to move over into that region and scoop guy guys like HAYATA, TADASUKE, the masked juniors I mentioned above, etc... but from what I've heard AJPW has historically drawn poorly in that area so maybe they were reluctant to risk it, as opposed to running Yokohama and making use of BJW guys.

Dalton Drellich has been in a few times before with Dory. Big heavyweight looking guy, but nothing memorable. Reminds me a bit of pre-Abyss Joseph Parks looks-wise.

Also, I'm on the Kento/Yoshitatsu hype train along with Drew.

Drew Wardlaw

Post by Drew Wardlaw » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:02 pm

Danwaka wrote:Thanks for answering my questions about Abe and Kea, guys. Kea's always felt to me like AJPW's answer to Kurt Angle, although obviously not as good. I feel like he still has some name value as a main event spot, not unlike Angle in WWE right now.

As for Abe, yeah I want him in the juniors. I've been sort of trying to take a look at Sportiva Dojo's crop of rookies, as they've had two or three juniors pop up since 2013 that I've heard some nice things about (Abe, Iwamoto and a guy named Shinya Ishida). I'm not happy about the Taijiri and Dragon title runs myself, but mixing in some of the older juniors like Ken Kid made it more palatable to me, sort of like a nostalgia run. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the other masked ex-Osaka juniors like Tsubasa, Maruyama, Buffalo, etc...

Actually it's been a bit of a bugbear for me of how little All Japan has a presence in Osaka, given that Akiyama is an Osaka guy and so are Bodyguard and Zeus, plus they bring in Ryouji Sai a lot. I feel like 2013/2014 when OPW was imploding that it was a perfect time for AJPW to move over into that region and scoop guy guys like HAYATA, TADASUKE, the masked juniors I mentioned above, etc... but from what I've heard AJPW has historically drawn poorly in that area so maybe they were reluctant to risk it, as opposed to running Yokohama and making use of BJW guys.

Dalton Drellich has been in a few times before with Dory. Big heavyweight looking guy, but nothing memorable. Reminds me a bit of pre-Abyss Joseph Parks looks-wise.

Also, I'm on the Kento/Yoshitatsu hype train along with Drew.
Man how do you feel about Yoshitatsu vs Doering for the TC? I couldn’t be more stoked.

All Japan really relies on Bodyguard and Zeus as the Osaka workhorses to help draw in the area and they end up drawing decently, at least when looking at like the Bodyguard TC challenge last February. Now that All Japan is more stable we’re seeing them use less regional indie talent to help draw, which is cool that they are healthier now. But man I always love seeing the Osaka guys pop up when it happens.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:21 pm

Drew Wardlaw wrote:Man how do you feel about Yoshitatsu vs Doering for the TC? I couldn’t be more stoked.
I'm super-excited for two things right now:
  • Joe Doering vs. Yoshitatsu for the AJPW Triple Crown Heavyweight Championship
  • Atsushi Onita, KAI & Yoshitatsu vs. Masashi Aoyagi, Minowaman & NOSAWA in an Six Man Explosion Deathmatch (Chris Charlton broke the news on twitter)
All Japan really relies on Bodyguard and Zeus as the Osaka workhorses to help draw in the area and they end up drawing decently, at least when looking at like the Bodyguard TC challenge last February. Now that All Japan is more stable we’re seeing them use less regional indie talent to help draw, which is cool that they are healthier now. But man I always love seeing the Osaka guys pop up when it happens.

Man it it just offends me outright. I get that BJW is a lot bigger in Yokohama than OPW was in Osaka, but OPW's self destruction freed up a lot of great talent for AJPW to swoop in on after the W-1 walkout. So many good dudes who just spent their best years not getting on televised cards, a lot of cool masked juniors and some young guys like HAYATA and TADSUKE to boot. Plus the Kansai area is basically just Dragon Gate for local promotions, with everyone else in Kanto/Kinki.

Also, this'll sound silly, but I felt that AJPW could have made their junior division more distinctive from New Japan's by focusing it a lot more around masks and mimicking some of what Mexico does.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:19 pm

I'm all about guys like Yoshitatsu getting random title matches. It feels fresh, it'll help stabilize the title a bit with all of the recent changes, and also help Joe settle in to do a placeholder defense.

AJPW has done a nice job with getting the most out of freelancers/outsiders. I know Yoshitatsu has the NJPW jobber stink that annoys some people, but he's going to lose so I don't think it's a big deal.