VOW Flagship: Styles & Suzuki, WON HOF, All-In, FloSlam/WWN & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: VOW Flagship: Styles & Suzuki, WON HOF, All-In, FloSlam/WWN & more!

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:22 pm

Danwaka wrote:So is that why BONE SOLDIER got sent to Puerto Rico, then?
Nah, those were just tours well into his career and long after he was a young boy.

JML

Post by JML » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:29 am

When Joe was talking about running 7 or 8k Arena with the Elite Show, all I've kept thinking about was Stubhub Center in Carson, California. I'm talking about the Tennis Arena and not the actual stadium where the MLS team and the Chargers play. The Tennis Arena holds 8k, is an outdoor venue but it's on top of the action instead it being spread out. Tons of boxing shows take place there and I think an Elite/Bullet Club/New Japan (cause I think they are gonna semi-back this) show would do well there instead of a random PBC on FOX Saturday boxing show. Also if I was running the show and booked it to be at StubHub, I would advertise CMLL guys as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:32 am

JML wrote:When Joe was talking about running 7 or 8k Arena with the Elite Show, all I've kept thinking about was Stubhub Center in Carson, California. I'm talking about the Tennis Arena and not the actual stadium where the MLS team and the Chargers play. The Tennis Arena holds 8k, is an outdoor venue but it's on top of the action instead it being spread out. Tons of boxing shows take place there and I think an Elite/Bullet Club/New Japan (cause I think they are gonna semi-back this) show would do well there instead of a random PBC on FOX Saturday boxing show. Also if I was running the show and booked it to be at StubHub, I would advertise CMLL guys as well.

I wonder why promoters don't run tennis stadiums more often. I've been to Arthur Ashe Stadium in NYC (the top court on the grounds where they play the U.S. Open) and as you say, you're really on top of the action. And most of these venues hold 5-12k, perfect size.

JML

Post by JML » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
JML wrote:When Joe was talking about running 7 or 8k Arena with the Elite Show, all I've kept thinking about was Stubhub Center in Carson, California. I'm talking about the Tennis Arena and not the actual stadium where the MLS team and the Chargers play. The Tennis Arena holds 8k, is an outdoor venue but it's on top of the action instead it being spread out. Tons of boxing shows take place there and I think an Elite/Bullet Club/New Japan (cause I think they are gonna semi-back this) show would do well there instead of a random PBC on FOX Saturday boxing show. Also if I was running the show and booked it to be at StubHub, I would advertise CMLL guys as well.

I wonder why promoters don't run tennis stadiums more often. I've been to Arthur Ashe Stadium in NYC (the top court on the grounds where they play the U.S. Open) and as you say, you're really on top of the action. And most of these venues hold 5-12k, perfect size.
I could only think of promoters being scared of the weather especially on the East Coast. But other than that, I with you as why promoters don't do shows at tennis stadiums.

Also, you're definitely right about the rent being cheaper than expected. I swear to god that Don King ran a fight at the Silverdome (yes, Mania III Silverdome) maybe 5 years ago. It wasn't a big fight at all but the building was cheap.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:26 am

suplexberry wrote:I kept mishearing "neurotic" as "an erotic" which made the Jewish comedian discussion very confusing. But yeah, fuck Woody Allen. (Admittedly the first time I became cognisant of his existence was before I saw a film of his and heard about his marriage to his former stepdaughter ..so yeah. Fuck that dude.)
Woody Allen is actually accused of doing far more atrocious things with some of his other adopted stepchildren than just marrying one of them, as detailed in this article...http://uproxx.com/movies/woody-allen-se ... der-wheel/

So yeah...he's a disgusting person. Innocent until proven guilty I guess, but I'm more inclined to believe his accusers than I am to believe him.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:15 am

Oh, I'm well aware of all that stuff now. Just saying even my image of him back then was severely colored by the news that was happening in the 90's.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:06 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:

I would imagine AA stadium and other Tennis facilities don't want anyone messing up the courts. In addition, I think they use the stadium when the Open isn't there for other tennis events. I know they did a WNBA game there once, but they don't really look to rent it out for non-tennis events.

I remain skeptical of this until we get a date and location announced. This announcement/leak has all the earmarks of a trial balloon to see if there's interest/means to create buzz. I'd put odds at around 50/50 that it happens, but if it does, I feel like they find a way to make it work. I know some have worried about WWE booking competition against it, but realistically, I would say picking a weekend when WWE is already doing a show might be a good way to siphon off travel crowds. MITB in June in Chicago or Clash of the Champions might be two good weekends to use. The latter would be especially good since it's unlikely they'd do NXT that weekend.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:08 pm

suplexberry wrote:Oh, I'm well aware of all that stuff now. Just saying even my image of him back then was severely colored by the news that was happening in the 90's.
I feel like i'm the last generation or even age group who isn't completely divorced from Allen as anything but a pervert/weirdo. He's had sporadic good films over the last 20 years (his best movie, Match Point, is a completely un-Woody Allen film), but most of his stuff is shit since the 90s.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:24 pm

Good discussion on Naito's resume. I'm not sure what the attendance was for Invasion Attack 2016 or Dominion 2016 but I imagine that those were close to 10,000. But his best years are ahead of him for sure. Speaking to what Rich said in regards to this little Midwest Naito is gonna do in February, myself and some buddies who scattered across Missouri are all buying Glory Pro tickets just to see Naito because we likely won't get another chance to see him live.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:Good discussion on Naito's resume. I'm not sure what the attendance was for Invasion Attack 2016 or Dominion 2016 but I imagine that those were close to 10,000. But his best years are ahead of him for sure. Speaking to what Rich said in regards to this little Midwest Naito is gonna do in February, myself and some buddies who scattered across Missouri are all buying Glory Pro tickets just to see Naito because we likely won't get another chance to see him live.

I hope people understand that bringing up that 10k point was not meant to shit on Naito as a draw or a star. He's a big star and a confirmed draw. The point was to demonstrate how ridiculously early we're putting people on the ballot. Remember also if i didn't make it clear, he was announced for the ballot last year, before any of his 2017 accomplishments took place, either. In other words, we found out Tetsuya Naito was going to be on the HOF ballot less than one year into the first real main event push of his career. That's insane. He shouldn't have been on the ballot at all. Now he has to overcome the stigma of being a 16% guy, and moving forward there are some uninformed voters who may see that as some sort of confirmation that he's a lousy candidate.

IIDXias

Post by IIDXias » Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:15 pm

mlev76 wrote:
suplexberry wrote:Oh, I'm well aware of all that stuff now. Just saying even my image of him back then was severely colored by the news that was happening in the 90's.
I feel like i'm the last generation or even age group who isn't completely divorced from Allen as anything but a pervert/weirdo. He's had sporadic good films over the last 20 years (his best movie, Match Point, is a completely un-Woody Allen film), but most of his stuff is shit since the 90s.
yeah match point is legitimately a great movie, my girlfriend showed me that one earlier this year. i'm very much a "separate the art from the artist" type when it comes to stuff that's already out there so to speak, so i'm willing to say that movie was really good; the rest of his shit though mostly sucks, especially 90s and on as you said (although i find even his earlier stuff mostly bad).

with all that said, people obviously should have stopped working with him a long time ago and it's yet another black mark on hollywood that they haven't.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:05 pm

IIDXias wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
yeah match point is legitimately a great movie, my girlfriend showed me that one earlier this year. i'm very much a "separate the art from the artist" type when it comes to stuff that's already out there so to speak, so i'm willing to say that movie was really good; the rest of his shit though mostly sucks, especially 90s and on as you said (although i find even his earlier stuff mostly bad).

with all that said, people obviously should have stopped working with him a long time ago and it's yet another black mark on hollywood that they haven't.
Radio Days remains a favorite of mine still (he's the narrator, but not physically in it). Annie Hall basically invented the Romantic Comedy genre.
Deconstructing Harry had some decent moments in it. And some of his 80s stuff is stuff I associate with my parents so it has a soft spot in my heart. Can't help it-being a NY Jew and not liking Woody Allen at the time was akin to saying Israel shouldn't exist.

Empiresk

Post by Empiresk » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:58 pm

As someone who worked for procurement in Hospitals in the UK, I have never ordered a Bunsen Burner.

I will concede that Leeches have been purchased on at least one occasion in my time...

JML

Post by JML » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:18 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:

I would imagine AA stadium and other Tennis facilities don't want anyone messing up the courts. In addition, I think they use the stadium when the Open isn't there for other tennis events. I know they did a WNBA game there once, but they don't really look to rent it out for non-tennis events.

I remain skeptical of this until we get a date and location announced. This announcement/leak has all the earmarks of a trial balloon to see if there's interest/means to create buzz. I'd put odds at around 50/50 that it happens, but if it does, I feel like they find a way to make it work. I know some have worried about WWE booking competition against it, but realistically, I would say picking a weekend when WWE is already doing a show might be a good way to siphon off travel crowds. MITB in June in Chicago or Clash of the Champions might be two good weekends to use. The latter would be especially good since it's unlikely they'd do NXT that weekend.
I really wonder how much damage you can do to a tennis court. It's not an issue with Stubhub Center cause they have the Reebok Crossfit Games there.

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:36 am

mlev76 wrote: Annie Hall basically invented the Romantic Comedy genre.
Slow your roll. It Happened One Night invented the romantic comedy genre. In the 1930's. And if you wanna talk modern romcoms, then I'd rather give credit to a true great, Nora Ephron. (If this is revisionist history, so be it.)