VOW Flagship: AEW Rally, Wrestle Kingdom 13 & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: AEW Rally, Wrestle Kingdom 13 & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:14 pm

A massive new flagship covering the latest on All Elite Wrestling, a lengthy review of NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13, NJPW's ambitious 2019 & 2020 schedule, a look at two huge title matches in Japan and much more!

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7140841-vow ... 3-more.mp3

Weirzbowski

Re: VOW Flagship: AEW Rally, Wrestle Kingdom 13 & more!

Post by Weirzbowski » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:39 pm

I still call TIAA Bank Field the Gator Bowl, it hasn't been that since before I was 15. None of the corporate sponsors really rolled off the tongue down there, maybe Alltel since it was short.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Hard agree on some of the missteps re: the way women's wrestling was presented at AEW. The women's pay thing was one thing (and the weird woke branding behind the whole thing seemed odd to me) but also Brandi Rhodes being sort of in charge of women's wrestling (when she's never shown an iota of talent in that field at all) and Britt Baker being the first big signee (who is clearly the Tessa consolation prize and doesn't really offer anything of value at all). It already feels like an afterthought. I don't think that will be a big deal to their core audience (considering most of the fan crossover is going to come from ROH which did the same thing) but if we go another month and Omega gets announced and so on and there's still no news on that front, it will feel kind of shitty.

To your point about the women's division and main roster worthy talent, Dave has already talked about AEW scouting Japan/Britain (not only Iwatani and Viper, but also going after Aja Kong). I think that's where you go if you want instant over stars. Try to bring over someone full time who has a slight name rec among the hardcores, and just let her do the Asuka in NXT thing. I do think there's a fair bit of quality wrestlers left in North America though. Like, someone like Keyra could pretty easily come in as an unknown and get over based on in-ring work. Kimber Lee has her issues but has a name rec among the type of fans likely to watch this show (and a built in anti-WWE backstory to work with). Savoy, Nicole Matthews, etc. could work well, there are like 5 Aussies that they should godfather offer to live in the US (Madison Eagles of course should be there in a heartbeat).

Obviously it's harder to scout out the US indies for women than men at this point, but if they're so focused on getting hardcore wrestling nerds to help them out, they need to find one of those sweatpants guys who knows everything about women's wrestling and give him a bunch of money to build this roster. You don't need a gamechanging Madison Eagles vs Keyra feud that main events the third AEW show or whatever, but you do need something that will grab people while you wait for Emma to heal up and for Sasha Banks to finally walk out of WWE.

Edit: To Lanza's question about "is there any other company in the world that can put on a show with 4-5 matches that people consider disappointing" all you have to do is listen to reviews of the big DDT or AAA shows last year by people who weren't familiar with the companies.

I mean, NJPW isn't just a victim of our own expectations, it's a victim of Meltzer's hype. The bar is not "great show", it's "the most prominent wrestling tastemaker ever broke his entire rating system just to heap extraordinary praise on this one promotion and all of the wrestlers are the best in the world and all of the best matches of all time are from this promotion". That bar is impossible to keep up, so NJPW from here on out will probably always slightly disappoint people looking for that. Look at Wreddit's "Top 100 matches all time" where 80+ of the matches were NJPW matches from the past 5 years. It's an unfair bar, but it's only placed that high by the hyperbole of praise that NJPW has received in the Bushiroad era.

Personally, I thought it was a 7/10, maybe 7.5/10 show. I think it's hard for me to call any show a real show of the year contender when it has multiple straight up bad matches on it, and the only match I would rate about **** is Jericho/Naito. So for me, it's not really a disappointment, because my expectations weren't that high. But for others, I can get why they would be disappointed.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:46 am

I am stealing SWEATPANTS GUYS and there is nothing you can do to stop me

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:53 am

And yes, the rally did come off a bit performatively woke. We didn't bring up donating the gate to the charity, but when combined with the way the women's pay thing was presented, it came off like one of those Shark Tank pitches where after going on and on about the good they want to do Mark Cuban finally cuts in and says "OK we heard you, you're giving 28% of every gross dollar to charity, that's great, but get to the point, give me a business plan and tell me how we're going to make money together".

Weirzbowski

Post by Weirzbowski » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:38 am

The donation to a gun violence charity was just a bit of politicking with Jacksonville since the city is usually the murder capital of Florida and that Madden shooting happened there. I would expect it is never brought up again until they actually donate the money.
1st sub to the VOW patreon. @berkatron

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:41 pm

Glad you guys gave MJF some credit, and Rich especially saying how good he is live. Saw him Mania weekend for the first time and his charisma just outshines everyone else he is in the ring with. His in ring still has plenty to work on but he's a great acquisition for AEW

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:13 pm

You know, I'm surprised that AEW didn't try and make a play for KUSHIDA in any way, shape or form. He's a popular Japanese wrestler at home with western wrestling that they've all worked with. Even him signing for AEW could keep him tied to NJPW in some form if they do come to terms somehow. And AEW clearly isn't afraid to spend money if Chris Jericho got paid to the point that Meltzer is claiming.

rollup

Post by rollup » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:52 pm

would be interesting how well Kiyomiya does in korakuen against the winner of Kotoge or Kitamiya

Goat

Post by Goat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:28 pm

When you were talking about the matches NJPW need for all these big shows I figure that London is the easiest. Either Will or Zack beat the IWGP Champ in the G1 and boom you have your main event.

throwstuff165

Post by throwstuff165 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:49 pm

I'm late to this discussion but I spent ten minutes looking at the women's independent scene right now outside of the names mentioned by armsofsleep and honestly, when you see them all laid out together, the talent pool actually looks fairly solid. They can rely on the brilliance of Eagles or Savoy or whoever to carry the division for a bit while they build up a Kylie Rae or a Kellyanne or a Shotzi Blackheart as the future cornerstone(s). Bring in someone like the always-inexplicably-popular Leva Bates to round out the division as jobbers.

Maybe they can hop in at the last minute to lure KLR or Viper away from WWE with their more competitive pay. Maybe LU indeed folds and they can grab Ivelisse and Cheerleader Melissa. Maybe there's fire to the crazy smoke we heard about and they somehow get Iwatani.

We're a far cry from the days of SHIMMER's peak, but if a couple things break AEW's way and they play their cards right (no pun intended), they might have the pieces for a legitimately strong women's division. It'll take some work, but I think there's reason for optimism.