VOW Flagship: AEW TV, Magee/Hart, BOSJ, Dontaku, Dragon Gate & more!

Talk about shows from the Voices of Wrestling podcast network and argue with us here.
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

VOW Flagship: AEW TV, Magee/Hart, BOSJ, Dontaku, Dragon Gate & more!

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Sat May 11, 2019 3:16 am

This week on the Voices of Wrestling Flagship podcast Joe and Rich talk AEW's rumored deal with TNT, the Gino Hernandez Dark Side of the Ring documentary, news of Tom Magee vs. Bret Hart airing on WWE Network, Best of the Super Juniors preview, Wrestling Dontaku and last but not least Dragon Gate's Dead or Alive show.

MP3: https://audioboom.com/posts/7258079-vow ... e-more.mp3

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: VOW Flagship: AEW TV, Magee/Hart, BOSJ, Dontaku, Dragon Gate & more!

Post by BoxingRobes » Sat May 11, 2019 12:27 pm

LOL @ anyone upset that the WWE is airing their own footage...in a timely manner...in what will likely include some remastering or increase in quality with a little documentary to boot...is a fucking bozo.

WWE Network is great...the stuff they put out like this, is great. My only complaint with WWEN content is they havent hired Monsoon Classics yet to put together playlists and compilations. But WWEN doing this is a big win for wrestling as a whole.

Starrcast's ideas sound fun, but surely would have been second rate.

Bloodbuzz Bunk

Post by Bloodbuzz Bunk » Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm

Just listening and I have to comment on all the sports adjacent discussions that stemmed from the XFL talk.

First, high level P5 college baseball is way above the FS2 type of programming. For example, Rich was joking about Vanderbilt( good pull btw Rich because Vandy is the #2 team in the country right now) and Vanderbilt games along with all the SEC’s baseball games are broadcast on ESPN’s family of networks in particular the SEC network. Also if your team’s game isn’t on a traditional channel it can be streamed via Watch ESPN and ESPN+.

2) Bundesliga, is indeed the premier German soccer league. Not that I’m huge Futbol fan necessarily but I have at least heard of Bayern-Munich.

3) Tim Tebow would a great get for the XFL but unfortunately for Vince, Tebow is somehow average enough at baseball that he is gonna end at least getting a shot at being the Mets’ 4th/5th Outfielder.

Tigerkinney

Post by Tigerkinney » Sat May 11, 2019 8:04 pm

Bloodbuzz Bunk wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 2:03 pm
2) Bundesliga, is indeed the premier German soccer league. Not that I’m huge Futbol fan necessarily but I have at least heard of Bayern-Munich.
As someone who lives in Europe (England) where football (soccer) is a big deal, I can confirm that Bayern Munich are a very famous team. If you want to make an American Sports comparison- lets say they are the New York Yankees of German football. They arguably have the biggest fanbase in Germany (Borussia Dortmund are the other team with a huge fanbase in Germany) but are hated by pretty much everyone else due to having the most success (28 time German League Champions, 5 time European Champions) and the biggest budget.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat May 11, 2019 8:55 pm

Given the recent Fox / Sky split, I'm curious if Fox is going to keep purchasing European sports for their American market. I always figured it was a two-fer thing given they bought pretty much everything for Sky that they could.

maq

Post by maq » Sat May 11, 2019 9:00 pm

The way the BOSJ blocks are set up actually has me leaning towards thinking that Takagi will run the tables in his block, but isn't winning the tournament. It'd be very non-Gedo to have the tournament winner and the current champion in the same block; plus, unless he's going undefeated all the way to the Dome (which I suppose isn't impossible), there's never going to be a bigger stage for Shingo's first pin/submission loss in NJPW than in the BOSJ finals in the main event in Sumo Hall.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Sat May 11, 2019 9:35 pm

When the XFL was reintroduced, and especially after the FOX/WWE deal, the business selling point was TV networks paying so much for live sports content would ensure the XFL worked out. The TV networks didn't want to pay for AAF and they're not really paying for the XFL in a meaningful fashion. This is more testament to how amazing the FOX/WWE deal was - these networks aren't shelling out money for minor league sports, and WWE managed to sell themselves a major league. I can not see a road to profitability for the XFL - they're going to have to do so great numbers that the networks bid against each other for total TV rights in three years and that seems like a terrible bet.

This is the thing with the AEW announcement. As wrestling fans, we're going to be totally zero-ed in on what day and time AEW ends up getting in the announcement. But it's the TV rights money that is going to keep this alive or not. They could put AEW on at 3 AM on Sunday morning and they're still going to survive if they get $20 mil a year. They'd grow a lot better if they were on Wednesday at 8 pm but it doesn't help them to survive if they can't get paid. Everyone getting hyped about ABC and FOX carrying XFL games is nice, I am happy for the football fans, but this would've been better news for the XFL if they were getting paid real money to be on ESPN+ instead.

(I'd want something Wednesday that could be repeated after the Thursday night TNT game. And I'm still like 2% wondering if "Turner Network" is going to end up being TruTV until that announcement is made.)

(The German soccer on the Fox Sports channels is an attempt to recreate the success NBC's head with the English soccer. It hasn't really taken in the US.)

It is weird that niche wrestling is never more covered and analyzed now than ever and yet I was the only person on the Twitter who seemed to know enough about a Best of Super Juniors participant to write about him. Poor guy still has a red link on the wikipedia page for the tournament.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sun May 12, 2019 12:27 am

You're under selling your value as a contributer, cubs. Anglo awareness of Lucha Libre is skin deep at best. The talent that came through LLUSA and Underground was proof of that. A lot of top talent from the first or second largest company in Mexico and Anglo fans had no idea who they were in comparison to say NJPW or NOAH talents (2014).

From individuals to television to traditions, the information you share is invaluable and you don't get enough recognition for it.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:42 pm

TNT is currently showing playoffs on Wednesday nights, so it is possible that come spring, a Wednesday time slot would either be shifted around or they would have to put the Wednesday games on TBS. It should be noted that pre-playoffs, nothing on TNT ranked in the top 100 for that day, so it comes in with a built low expectation for viewers.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:52 pm

I have wondered why the idea of changing nights as the year goes on hasn't been considered at all. Sure, it would be nice to be in the perfect timeslot all year long, because that's just how wrestling has been, and consistency is important, but I've seen networks move their biggest shows around as needed. If Thursday is NBA night, then to me that's probably the best timeslot to be in when the NBA isn't on the rest of the year.

Also the FS2 talk was entertaining but also seemed like a waste of time because only one game is airing on there. Not that the XFL deserves serious discussion, but it was just "oh, this is still going" after awhile.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Mon May 13, 2019 7:24 pm

Saying the best match of last year's tournament was actually the most overrated match, lmao. That match was better than anything Taiji Ishimori has ever done in his entire NJPW run

BlizzardAcolyte

Post by BlizzardAcolyte » Sat May 18, 2019 7:48 pm

Just getting to this now, and I'm curious...when reviewing DoA, were you guys aware that the friction that had been built within R.E.D. was actually between Eita and Big Ben, not just Ben? That the reason that Big R was in the match was mainly due to the focus of that story was built between him desperately trying to stay in the unit and that, while Eita was berating both big dudes as being useless and threatening to boot them, the focus of his ire was on Big R? Granted, it helped to take the attention from Ben and--in retrospect, something that is typical pro-wres-betrayal storyline stuff--heighten the impact of Big tossing aside one of two guys in the unit who has supporting him throughout this ordeal (besides Yoshida, but no one cares about him), but I was surprised you didn't bring that up in the discussion of the angle.

Angry216

Post by Angry216 » Sat May 18, 2019 10:14 pm

It started off as Eita and Big Ben, but once Big R won the spot in the cage, the unit was split down the middle. Team Eita(Eita/PAC/KAZMA/Kanda) and Team Big R(Big R/Ben/Yoshida.) Obviously, at the end of the day, everyone was conspiring to kick out Ben so the main message was put across ha