WWE (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: Official WWE Thread

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:25 am

That was easily the best Chamber match ever. With that said, I don't know how to adequately rate them, but if the high has been a ***3/4 according to Big Dave...then this one has to be in that ****1/4 range or better.

I also genuinely enjoyed the Luke Harper-Randy Orton match...in that ***3/4 spectrum.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:59 pm

There's no way of saying this without it seeming petty, but here goes. I don't like the new Chamber. I get why they changed it but it's a little too neat now. I'm sure it still hurts real bad bumping on it, but sitting there thinking "are those actually gym mats?" does take a bit of the aura away. That said, they actually got Bray winning over, so kudos.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:05 pm

cbacon87 wrote:There's no way of saying this without it seeming petty, but here goes. I don't like the new Chamber. I get why they changed it but it's a little too neat now. I'm sure it still hurts real bad bumping on it, but sitting there thinking "are those actually gym mats?" does take a bit of the aura away. That said, they actually got Bray winning over, so kudos.
I'm indifferent to 'em. One one hand, it does appear less dangerous and there is an aura of brutality that is missing with those new mats.

However, they can actually bump on them a little more now so that (IMO) helped this match greatly. In previous Chamber matches you could tell there were reservations about taking bumps onto the chains whereas people were balls to the wall last night and I think it greatly enhanced it and made it my favorite Chamber ever.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:06 pm

I'm not a fan of the Elimination Chamber gimmick one bit, so i'll skip giving my thoughts on that beyond saying everyone worked hard. Orton and Harper had a solid match. Women's stuff was there. Tag match was crap, but the tag division beyond AA is crap so what are you going to do. Not a bad show, but certainly not good.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:07 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
cbacon87 wrote:There's no way of saying this without it seeming petty, but here goes. I don't like the new Chamber. I get why they changed it but it's a little too neat now. I'm sure it still hurts real bad bumping on it, but sitting there thinking "are those actually gym mats?" does take a bit of the aura away. That said, they actually got Bray winning over, so kudos.
I'm indifferent to 'em. One one hand, it does appear less dangerous and there is an aura of brutality that is missing with those new mats.

However, they can actually bump on them a little more now so that (IMO) helped this match greatly. In previous Chamber matches you could tell there were reservations about taking bumps onto the chains whereas people were balls to the wall last night and I think it greatly enhanced it and made it my favorite Chamber ever.
I will give them that. The old cage looked like an absolute nightmare to deal with. It's surprising nobody was every seriously hurt in there.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:09 pm

The only real awful injury was RVD landing on HHH's throat but that could've happened in any match really.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:27 pm

There's definitely a trade-off. Guys can bump in different ways (no way would Ambrose and Cena be landing on the outside from the heights they did before, obviously) and safer. But the fact they went from the steel floor to the flat surface makes it obvious that it's safer. It's got to be better than guys taking needless bumps nobody's going to remember on it, regardless.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:28 pm

So who would've guessed that Becky Lynch vs. Mickie James would end up being the worst of the three women's match on this PPV? I'm not saying it was bad (because it wasn't), but it was easily the weakest of the three. Did anyone else feel the same way?

As far as the Elimination Chamber itself goes, it was definitely one of the best. I would still have the 09 RAW Elimination Chamber as the best (I nearly went the full ***** on that one), but the one from last night is in a tossup with the original Elimination Chamber in 2002 as the second best.
Rich Kraetsch wrote:

I was a little unsure about this new structure (since I loved the original so much), but after seeing it in action, I think it worked incredibly well. Rich's points are right on the money. It seems to be more safe, but oddly, that enhanced the match. Plus, I think the fact that the chamber is much higher really helped as well, since it allowed people to do more stuff on top of the pods (it was harder to do in the original structure because the roof was essentially a low dome that really limited space.

I guess the best thing you can say is that this new version of the Elimination Chamber is more "stunt friendly".
Rich Kraetsch wrote:The only real awful injury was RVD landing on HHH's throat but that could've happened in any match really.
Triple H got really lucky on that one. Did he miss any amount of time from that? It couldn't have been that long, because I know he wrestled on the next PPV.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:31 pm

cbacon87 wrote:There's definitely a trade-off. Guys can bump in different ways (no way would Ambrose and Cena be landing on the outside from the heights they did before, obviously) and safer. But the fact they went from the steel floor to the flat surface makes it obvious that it's safer. It's got to be better than guys taking needless bumps nobody's going to remember on it, regardless.
What's interesting is that I don't think that padding on the outside was very thick, because when they showed certain camera angles you could clearly see the grates of the steel floor through the padding.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:48 pm

I clearly enjoyed last night's show overall better than most. With the exception of the pre-show match and the handicap match, everything was good with the Orton/Harper match and the Chamber matches being the two best. My thoughts:

-Rawley/Hawkins was a perfectly fine pre-show match. Rawley is underrated by many because of numerous reasons, but he isn't as awful as people claim. He may begin to be overrated soon as people wise up to this and start claiming he's legitimately good. He's ok, nothing more or less.

-Becky/Mickie told a good story and put James over as someone on the level as the former champion. The finish got dogged by many for being too flukey, but I like them leaving open the possibility of a rematch.

-The handicap match was a mess. I wish they would have just let Crewes and Ziggler go at it and let Kalisto get his revenge later on. Not really sure what's next for Crewes, but he needs a change/return to NXT/return to the indies ASAP. His situation reminds me in ways of Sami Callihan in that when he was signed, there was less competition for him to advance, but that quickly changed. I think it speaks volumes that Corbin is now significantly more over than him.

-I enjoyed the tag gauntlet and have no problem with how the eliminations went. I feel like Ascension, by being to made to look so weak, is not long for the company. At the very least, Konnor is probably in trouble.

-Nikki/Natalya got a lot of hate and I really don't get why. Many seemed to want an all out brawl, but amongst the women's division, that's pretty rare. And I think they put on a better match the way they went at it overall. The endgame seems unclear with them not finishing this up if the plan is Cena/Nikki vs. Miz/Maryse.

-Orton/Harper was a shade under great. I think knowing Orton was almost certainly winning was the only downside. In a very different way than Crewes, I fear Harper is in a bad space due to a deeper roster than the last time he got a decent push. Maybe he'll get a title shot versus Bray in the lead up to Mania or after if they don't put the strap on Orton.

-Bliss/Naomi had its sloppiness, but I enjoyed it overall. Very nice moment for Naomi who has definitely worked hard to get to where she is. Curious to see what the Mania plan is for this title.

-I will agree with those who said the Chamber was the best one they've done so far. I thought everyone played their roles perfectly and I'm happy that Bray got to beat both Cena and AJ to win. The Corbin/Dean/Miz stuff took the match down a bit, but if they are building to Dean/Corbin for the IC belt, it made total sense. The new chamber itself really was not a positive or negative for me as the six men put on a great show regardless.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:12 pm

I thought Nikki/Natalya picked up considerably by the end, but I'd have preferred a bit more intensity, even if the story of them trying to prove who the better wrestler was still made some sense. Also, Nattie did the You Can't See Me taunt about 10 times.

I'm probably higher on Mojo than most, but I didn't think that preshow match did him many favours. I was expecting him to squash Hawkins pretty quick and instead he had to sell for him for a while and that's not his strong suit. When he's on offence, he's much better. That's why I turned the corner on him, him being the hot tag guy in the Hype Bros.

Speaking of which, poor Zack, Renee's talking after the match about Zack being hurt and wishes him well and the first thing Booker says is, trying to put over Mojo obviously, "I always thought Zack was holding Mojo back". I love the whole Talking Smack, expert panel, let people speak their mind on this stuff vibe the company has going now and think it adds a lot to the overall feel of the company, or Smackdown at least. Booker's a wildcard though. Obviously he didn't mean anything by it, but still.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:17 pm

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:18 pm

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:36 pm

So many gifs of Teddy dancing to come...

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:53 pm

A couple of WWE related film projects move ahead. First, HBO will be producing the Andre the Giant documentary alongside WWE and Bill Simmons:

http://www.thewrap.com/hbo-wwe-to-produ ... cumentary/

And MGM buys the worldwide rights to the Paige movie being produced by the Rock:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/m ... ce=twitter