NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
PKThree

Re: NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

Post by PKThree » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:53 pm

Hopefully they can get some interesting matchups for Aldis to get some of the hype back. And also be a bit more smart with what promotions they go to

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
thecubsfan wrote:I have not been following this closely, but it seemed like the concept was "the NWA champ will go anywhere! face anyone! who knows what could happen!" and then the reality was was "he faced the same two (not must see) guys twice". That's not quite as exciting.
A lot of politics blew up a lot of plans at CZW

It has gotten stale for sure

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:02 pm

thecubsfan wrote:I have not been following this closely, but it seemed like the concept was "the NWA champ will go anywhere! face anyone! who knows what could happen!" and then the reality was was "he faced the same two (not must see) guys twice". That's not quite as exciting.
Will wait for what Ethan Page says on the podcast before I will post everything that I know - a bunch of partial stories that mildly contradict each other.

In general, the core issue seems to be YouTuber style collab/barter system doesn’t work with indie wrestlers or Wrestling in general. Indie wrestlers prefer to get paid for a booking up front and in full (some request a deposit in advance etc too obviously). A minority of people might view that as selfish and short sighted. However, indie wrestlers especially those in a CZW put their bodies through a lot and are arguably already underpaid.

Without going into deep semantics about who or what is a name wrestler on the indies. The majority of name indie wrestlers will not put over Tim Storm in a high visibility place like CZW for little to no financial compensation.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:23 pm

rovert wrote:
Will wait for what Ethan Page says on the podcast before I will post everything that I know - a bunch of partial stories that mildly contradict each other.

In general, the core issue seems to be YouTuber style collab/barter system doesn’t work with indie wrestlers or Wrestling in general. Indie wrestlers prefer to get paid for a booking up front and in full (some request a deposit in advance etc too obviously). A minority of people might view that as selfish and short sighted. However, indie wrestlers especially those in a CZW put their bodies through a lot and are arguably already underpaid.

Without going into deep semantics about who or what is a name wrestler on the indies. The majority of name indie wrestlers will not put over Tim Storm in a high visibility place like CZW for little to no financial compensation.
And perhaps, making Aldis champion might change that dynamic given he's a former Impact Wrestling World Champion. I don't know if that is enough to mean something, but I understand (despite the hype the videos have gotten) considering Storm not someone worth putting over.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:27 pm

Personally, I think wrestlers make too much of that sort of thing, but water is also wet. Losing a match to Tim Storm isn't going to result in losing a single booking or WWE not picking up the phone. This isn't 1953.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Definitely not, but it may also not get them anything either. I think the post Aldis first match buzz dropped pretty quickly and made those who seemed interested in working with Storm hesitant to work with what seemed like a very momentary fad.

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm

I’d pin the buzz drop on the awful Josephus match, and they way they streamed it out day of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:57 pm

Been a few years but Aldis still has a been there, done that feel

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:58 pm

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:10 pm

PKThree wrote:
ScorpioCorp wrote:
PKThree wrote:Aldis beat Storm at Cage of death to become the new heavyweight champion. Match should be up on youtube later for those that did not catch it live.
So, let me get this straight. Storm apparently comes to CZW to address the roster as there are CZW guys (Joey Janela, MJF, Matt Tremont etc) who want a title shot. Nobody from the CZW roster comes to the ring (even though there was a lot of teasing on social media). Instead, Nick Aldis challenges Tim Storm & wins the title. That comes across as extremely disappointing.
Didn't Tremont come out and confront Storm? I've seen pictures of that online. But the storyline has been that Aldis has been promised a rematch anywhere at anytime after the finish of the first match so that's it I guess?

Either way, Storm era done and dusted. Time to see what happens next.
You are correct, there were CZW guys who came to confront Storm. I think Tremont, Janela, MJF & Page. I assumed that only Aldis came out.

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:48 pm

As the original NuWA fan I can say Aldis being champ is laughable. I have no expectations that Lagana and Billy will find a great talent to carry the NWA. Tim Storm wasn't a guy to carry it, but he was a proof of concept. Aldis is not the guy. It is so sad to watch this play out.

Dragonzombie

Post by Dragonzombie » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:55 pm

Seems like the official NWA territories tradition is dropped. And the rest of the official titles sans the world title are dropped.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:47 am

Dragonzombie wrote:Seems like the official NWA territories tradition is dropped. And the rest of the official titles sans the world title are dropped.
The territory system has indeed been dropped.

The rest of the titles are "in hibernation", as it was described to me. This is only my speculation, but I think you'll eventually see the tag, women's, and possibly junior title resurrected at some point. Just judging by my conversations with the NWA people, my gut says you may never see the National or North American titles again.

The physical belts are all in the new ownership's possession.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:19 am

I mean, the National and NA titles were pointless to start with. Using the weight divisions ala Joint Promotions did might have been a better shout for post-ECW/WCW NWA.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:28 am

Joe Lanza wrote:Personally, I think wrestlers make too much of that sort of thing, but water is also wet. Losing a match to Tim Storm isn't going to result in losing a single booking or WWE not picking up the phone. This isn't 1953.
I am the exact opposite. I love this shit. I love when wrestlers convince themselves it's real or their wins matter. It's a weird psychological quirk that is exclusive to pro wrestling. I def think it's falling by the wayside since most wrestlers nowadays are former wrestling fans not former legit athletes or shooters.