NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
ErinQuinn

Re: NWA Thread - The Relic, The Remnant

Post by ErinQuinn » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:50 pm

I sometimes enjoy Storm in a tag setting, but he really looks like an old gym teacher still talking about his high school football days

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:48 am

Apparently Storm works as a teacher outside of wrestling, so that's one step away from being a gym teacher.

Just saw his promo for Survival of the Fittest, other than learning to emote a bit better, he delivered it perfectly. Like Storm, I wish him the best of luck. I doubt it will happen, but I will mark so hard if Bruce comes to RoH with Jax to rep the NWA.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Tim Storm is a solid hand and known around the business as a great guy (as in, everybody loves him and no one is shy about putting him over). This is a nice career prize for a guy who is never going to grow beyond the regional NWA scene. But yes, he is a step back from the recent champs like Conway and Kojima on every level. And Dane, for that matter.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:05 am

BackLash wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Tim Storm is your new NWA champion. He defeated Jax Dane in Sherman, Texas at NWA Texoma.

I was told this was either the 8th or 10th title shot for Storm against Dane, and to show you how low profile most of the matches were, only two made it to cagematch. Make of that what you will.
The match where the title changed isn't even on there yet. I don't know how to feel about this, I'm ultimately happy for Tim Storm, but there was more upside with Jax (Young, exposure on NJPW etc). I would have thought an indie superstar or one of their younger talents would have been a better fit. Again more power to Storm and I don't sat this because of his age, but with Conway, Dane and especially TenKoji, it seems like a bit of a step back. I hope he proves me wrong.
Just look at all of the champions across the board now and how far the name value has slipped from the names you mentioned plus KES, Jushin Liger, Chase Owens, etc

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:55 am

It's telling that the only two of their main champions that have links on Wikipedia are former WWE talent. Going past that though is if the NWA confident in these champions by the time Parade of Champions rolls around. If Storm makes it until April that will be very telling on how much they trust him. The Iron Empire just got done doing matches in Japan for Diamond Stars so if they make it, I would be surprised. I haven't seen Jazz in years so I'm not sure if she's still any good of if age has slowed her down.

Speaking of age, John Saxon has gotten a remarkable push winning Jr's title and National title this year in his mid-40s. He must be either damn good for his age and I remember he was going to face Steve Anthony last year at PoC but got hurt.

I know very little about Tyson Dean and Jake Logan, other than Dean's 39 and Logan has rarely wrestled out of Texas and both get their first major title reigns.

Just like any other promotions, NWA needs to sell tickets, if they feel like this group can do it then they got to treat them like the champs they are and spread their names across the territories (and the internet). They don't have the luxury of New Japan giving Liger a title run or giving media exposure to NWA's wrestlers anymore.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:38 am

I saw the title change, and it wasn't good. Walk & brawl with a bullshit finish.

Sigh.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:22 am

I say this as a fan, but has Bruce ever thought of consolidating all of NWA's properties and just make it one big brand turning the territories into feeder systems and training centers? They have so many wrestlers under their overreaching brand many of whom are either talented or at the very least I think you get over with the right motivation.

But the problem lies first and foremost that most of these territories don't have consistent means to watch their programming that is hard for someone like me who wants to watch all the programming and see how it goes. You also have the people who have only enough time to watch a certain amount of wrestling per week and trying to focus on all those territories would be a problem.

If they could do one main show featuring the absolute best talent from all their territories plus a couple ringers formerly fromWWE, New Japan, Ring of Honor etc. that I'm certain people pay attention.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:16 am

BackLash wrote:I say this as a fan, but has Bruce ever thought of consolidating all of NWA's properties and just make it one big brand turning the territories into feeder systems and training centers? They have so many wrestlers under their overreaching brand many of whom are either talented or at the very least I think you get over with the right motivation.

But the problem lies first and foremost that most of these territories don't have consistent means to watch their programming that is hard for someone like me who wants to watch all the programming and see how it goes. You also have the people who have only enough time to watch a certain amount of wrestling per week and trying to focus on all those territories would be a problem.

If they could do one main show featuring the absolute best talent from all their territories plus a couple ringers formerly fromWWE, New Japan, Ring of Honor etc. that I'm certain people pay attention.
He doesn't have that power, for starters. Each territory is an independent entity, which pays a yearly membership fee to use the NWA name and book NWA titles.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:27 am

Ryota Hama is challenging for the NWA World Title on 2/23!

If he wins NWA are the greatest fed of all time by default

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am

PKThree wrote:Ryota Hama is challenging for the NWA World Title on 2/23!

If he wins NWA are the greatest fed of all time by default
Wrestling is weird. Japanese Rikishi could be the NWA champ (probably not, but still).

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon May 01, 2017 4:08 pm

http://www.pwinsider.com/ViewArticle.php?id=109356

Billy Corgan has bought the NWA. Literally what the fuck is this year.

PKThree

Post by PKThree » Mon May 01, 2017 4:13 pm

Despite all my rage, I am still president of the NWA

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon May 01, 2017 4:18 pm

To think that if Galloway hadn't signed to NXT, he'd probably be NWA World Champion in a month from now.

monster mafia

Post by monster mafia » Mon May 01, 2017 4:33 pm

nice to see billy loves wrestling so much...good luck to him.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 01, 2017 4:43 pm

The NWA's last bit of true semi mainstream relevance was approximately 30 years ago. It astounds me that people still won't let this one go.