WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by Mike » Sun May 22, 2016 7:28 pm

WWE World Heavyweight Championship/Extreme Rules: Roman Reigns (c) vs. AJ Styles
Women's Championship/Submission/Ric Flair banned from ringside: Charlotte (c) vs. Natalya
Intercontinental Championship: The Miz (c) vs. Kevin Owens vs. Cesaro vs. Sami Zayn
United States Championship: Kalisto (c) vs. Rusev
Tag Team Championship: Big E/Kofi Kingston and/or Xavier Woods (c) vs. Aiden English/Simon Gotch
Asylum Cage: Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho
Tornado Tag: Jimmy + Jey Uso vs. Karl Anderson/Luke Gallows

Preshow @7:30
NO DQ: Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin

This should be a great in-ring wrestling show with a hot main event and a good -> very good undercard. Not a lot of buzz for this show, but to me, looking at the lineup, it should be great. If the Newark crowd is lively, it will help it a lot too.

I think the four singles title matches should be great and the tornado tag can be a lot of fun if they give them room to breathe out there.

Going against Warriors/Thunder will hurt it a bit live since I would imagine that will be getting a lot of buzz on various circles at the same time tonight.

K. Hare

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by K. Hare » Sun May 22, 2016 7:34 pm

VERY pumped for the main event, but I'm worried what the shenanigans at the end will be. Obviously there will be some, but I'm worried that it will be the type that completely derail the match and ignore the previous store, not the type that play into it. Like, more towards the hologram Bray Wyatt side.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Sun May 22, 2016 7:54 pm

WWE World Heavyweight Championship/Extreme Rules: Roman Reigns (c)
Women's Championship/Submission/Ric Flair banned from ringside: Charlotte (c)
Intercontinental Championship: The Miz (c)
United States Championship: Rusev
Tag Team Championship: Aiden English/Simon Gotch
Asylum Cage: Dean Ambrose
Tornado Tag: Jimmy + Jey Uso vs. Karl Anderson/Luke Gallows - No Contest

Preshow @7:30
NO DQ: Baron Corbin

Those are my picks for the winners :D

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun May 22, 2016 9:32 pm

It's worth remembering this is a card built on three weeks of build. I know the mo for many is to knock WWE promoting things, but it's been a very good build overall. The only throwaway match is the preshow match and that has something of a story.

Given the rumors, I expect the main event to end cleanly and Roman's next feud to start tonight. I hope they give AJ enough shine so that he stays strong with a loss.

I expect two title changes-US and either IC or tag. More inclined to assume a tag title change since New Day can absolutely afford a loss here.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sun May 22, 2016 11:19 pm

I'm most looking forward to Rusev-Kalisto from an in-ring perspective.

Also hope that Vaudvillians-New Day gets ample time. I think they can do a lot with 12-15 mins.

I have zero interest in Jericho-Ambrose and that's a theme I have had with most Ambrose feuds.

Throw another zero on the woman's match.

Reigns-Styles I can't get a read on. After the last match having so much fuckery going on at the end, I would hope they have a more straight up match. I think the match they had before the bullshit was headed to WWE MOTY territory. They need to go down that road again.

Danwaka

Post by Danwaka » Mon May 23, 2016 12:20 am

I'm not much enthused for the PPV, but I need something to do between editing and writing.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon May 23, 2016 12:33 am

Very let down by Rusev-Kalisto. A couple of spots that looked like they messed up. The rib and back injury story they were trying to tell wasn't very consistent. The finish accolade was the best thing to come out of it.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon May 23, 2016 1:46 am

Jericho/Ambrose should send Shelley Martinez a Christmas card. This could be worst match of the year in any other.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 23, 2016 2:15 am

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Jericho/Ambrose should send Shelley Martinez a Christmas card. This could be worst match of the year in any other.
Bryan Alvarez said 10 minutes were added to their match as a segment was cut. I gave the match one and a half stars.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon May 23, 2016 2:59 am

Main was a ton of fun. Reigns hitting a Black Tiger Bomb was a highlight for me. Rollins returning came off great. The live crowd popped huge for him.

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Mon May 23, 2016 3:19 am

Fatal 4 Way and main event were both worthy of 4 stars or more, but the rest wasn't anything great. Nonetheless, two great matches made it more than worth it for me.

Jericho and Ambrose did some decent work the last third of the match, but it was too late to save it. And it doesn't help I was over the feud after Mania, and it sounds like the crowd was in the same boat. I'd probably give it 2 or 2 1/2 just because both guys finished decent. Definitely ready for something new for Ambrose. He's still over big time, but his best days will be as a heel.

Grammarian

Post by Grammarian » Mon May 23, 2016 3:27 am

Main event saved the show. IC Title match was great too. Closing angle is exciting.

Whatever criticism you're giving Ambrose/Jericho is probably deserved. And Charlotte/Natalya was pretty disappointing, at least to me as I was expecting to finally get a match in-line with what they did in NXT.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

ronpeppers

Post by ronpeppers » Mon May 23, 2016 10:00 am

Shame about the tag match, dunno quite what the point of it was. Felt thrown together, New Day win and go onto face..? Although tbh the rest can be said about everything but the main event. Wish they'd put a bit more thought into the undercard, no matter how talented the roster shoving randoms together and hoping they pull something good out of their arse is really hard to watch for three solid hours.

Even the IC, dope as it was in isolation, showed how desperately Zayn/Owens need a couple of months apart and how little they give a fuck about working Cesaro into an actual character. Ho diddly hum.

Still face Seth Rollins should be fun. And Maryse exists, so I suppose there's always hope for the universe.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 23, 2016 11:48 am

Any time you have two 4+ star matches, it can't help but be a good show. The main event was the main roster MOTY so far and in my top 10 for the year overall. The four way was very well worked, smartly laid out and just an overall fun match.

I think I enjoyed the rest of the show more than most as I thought the first 3 matches were all good. Even the pre-show match was fairly decent.

No clue as to why they booked Ambrose/Jericho and Charlotte/Natalya like that. Way too much time for the former and unnecessary silliness for the latter. Not sure why the Charlotte/Natalya feud hasn't done as well as previous iterations, but it's time to move on. Not quite sure who comes next (Paige?), but no need to see anymore of these matches.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 23, 2016 1:35 pm

Extreme Rules was a show of two great matches and nothing else ever came close to those two matches. I thought the show was 7/10 overall. It would have been a below-average show, 4/10, but those two matches elevated it.
Match of the Night : AJ Styles x Roman Reigns.
Worst Match : Dean Ambrose x Chris Jericho
The pre show match was b/w Corbin and Ziggler. It was alright. It was good for what it was, a 7 minute pre-show match. I think Corbin lacks facial expressions, those are a negative on him. Ziggler's tights were beyond awful. Corbin has 2 cool moves which look good and are a positive. **1/2.
New Day x Vaudevillians
It was an okay match. They made a big deal of a kick out of a move which has beaten like 3 people on the main roster, way too soon for a big time kickout. The opening promo was good. Xavier looked good. Big E will kill himself with the spear through the ropes. Hope he stops doing that. **1/2
Rusev x Kalisto
The selling by Kalisto, esp in the opening part of the match was non existent. The match okay, nothing special. **
Miz x Sami Zayn x Kevin Owens x Cesaro
Excellent match. People have been saying that Miz is this great underrated worker. First of all, he's on his best day "above average". He's a good talker but his matches are absolute death and if you put a similar worker in with him ( Zack Ryder/Curt Hawkins), it becomes very clear that he's being called as this great, unheralded worker just because of the guys he's in the ring with. I liked the finish. Meltz mentioned that Miz is getting a new challenger and the rest are going to be in the MiTB. ****1/4
Charlotte x Natalya
Decent match. Hated the finish. Natalya selling and screaming doesn't go over well with me. **1/4
AJ Styles x Roman Reigns
Absolutely phenomenal match. Styles came off as a superstar here. I thought they should have given Styles a kick-out atleast. But, that's a minor gripe. ****1/2

P.S very hyped for Rollins return.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/