WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by mprentice84 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:11 pm

It was a thumbs in the middle show.

Opening tag was ten minutes too short. A proper story can't be told in eight minutes.

Cesaro v. Zayn v. Owens v. Miz was very good

Abrose v. Owens was a stinker. Both guys worked hard, but at the end of the day it was a comedy gimmick match that had zero heat. If I'm Chris Jericho, do I really want to keep wrestling if that means thumbtack spots in a nothing gimmick match?

Styles v. Reigns was great. The run-ins took away from what could have been a 5 star match. Ended up going 4.5 stars because of that. These guys work great together. Styles is a madman when it comes to big matches and Reigns is a hell worker in his own right. It's a shame that his character is so miscast. Just let him be an unlikable asshole that kills people.

No McMahon's on the show, which was a huge plus as well.

Still not enough to end my Raw/Smackdown hiatus, but i'm at least looking forward to hearing about what happens tonight.

User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by mprentice84 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:20 pm

Grammarian wrote:Charlotte/Natalya was pretty disappointing, at least to me as I was expecting to finally get a match in-line with what they did in NXT.
9 minutes and another distraction finish. They're really dropping the ball on the women's division post-WrestleMania

User avatar
ayaashm
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 am
Location: Kashmir
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 23, 2016 2:35 pm

mprentice84 wrote:It was a thumbs in the middle show.

Opening tag was ten minutes too short. A proper story can't be told in eight minutes.

Cesaro v. Zayn v. Owens v. Miz was very good

Abrose v. Owens was a stinker. Both guys worked hard, but at the end of the day it was a comedy gimmick match that had zero heat. If I'm Chris Jericho, do I really want to keep wrestling if that means thumbtack spots in a nothing gimmick match?

Styles v. Reigns was great. The run-ins took away from what could have been a 5 star match. Ended up going 4.5 stars because of that. These guys work great together. Styles is a madman when it comes to big matches and Reigns is a hell worker in his own right. It's a shame that his character is so miscast. Just let him be an unlikable asshole that kills people.

No McMahon's on the show, which was a huge plus as well.

Still not enough to end my Raw/Smackdown hiatus, but i'm at least looking forward to hearing about what happens tonight.

Ambrose x Jericho, you mean.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

User avatar
ayaashm
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 am
Location: Kashmir
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 23, 2016 2:39 pm

mprentice84 wrote:It was a thumbs in the middle show.

Opening tag was ten minutes too short. A proper story can't be told in eight minutes.

Cesaro v. Zayn v. Owens v. Miz was very good

Abrose v. Owens was a stinker. Both guys worked hard, but at the end of the day it was a comedy gimmick match that had zero heat. If I'm Chris Jericho, do I really want to keep wrestling if that means thumbtack spots in a nothing gimmick match?

Styles v. Reigns was great. The run-ins took away from what could have been a 5 star match. Ended up going 4.5 stars because of that. These guys work great together. Styles is a madman when it comes to big matches and Reigns is a hell worker in his own right. It's a shame that his character is so miscast. Just let him be an unlikable asshole that kills people.

No McMahon's on the show, which was a huge plus as well.

Still not enough to end my Raw/Smackdown hiatus, but i'm at least looking forward to hearing about what happens tonight.

Hey! I sort of do the same thing. No Raw/Smackdown/NXT./LU/ROH. Also, select matches on PPV's and Network Specials and Takeovers.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

User avatar
H.U.S.T.L.E.
Posts: 112
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:58 pm

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Mon May 23, 2016 2:48 pm

ronpeppers wrote:Even the IC, dope as it was in isolation, showed how desperately Zayn/Owens need a couple of months apart and how little they give a fuck about working Cesaro into an actual character. Ho diddly hum..
ayaashm wrote:Meltz mentioned that Miz is getting a new challenger and the rest are going to be in the MiTB.
Interesting that they seem to be moving Miz on to someone else. The way the finish occurred made it seem like they might give Zayn a singles match for the title, but maybe that happens as TV filler. Curious to see who's up next if that's the case because I'm struggling to think of a face to slot against Miz. My best guess is that it's something for Big Cass to do while Enzo is recovering.

As far as keeping Owens & Zayn apart, I think there an easy way to make that happen - the authority figures can threaten long suspensions if they interfere in matches, which would effectively move them along to something else for the foreseeable future. The question becomes, what do you move them into next?

The fact that there's unpredictability in the midcard is nice though and they have a healthy mix of characters right now. Del Rio, Sheamus, Kalisto, Rusev, Owens, Zayn, Cesaro & Miz... And that doesn't even include dudes on the shelf like Neville & Harper or guys like Ambrose & Styles who are seemingly onto something else now.

Point being, this is the most interesting WWE has been in a long time from my perspective.

User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by mprentice84 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:55 pm

ayaashm wrote:
mprentice84 wrote:It was a thumbs in the middle show.

Opening tag was ten minutes too short. A proper story can't be told in eight minutes.

Cesaro v. Zayn v. Owens v. Miz was very good

Abrose v. Owens was a stinker. Both guys worked hard, but at the end of the day it was a comedy gimmick match that had zero heat. If I'm Chris Jericho, do I really want to keep wrestling if that means thumbtack spots in a nothing gimmick match?

Styles v. Reigns was great. The run-ins took away from what could have been a 5 star match. Ended up going 4.5 stars because of that. These guys work great together. Styles is a madman when it comes to big matches and Reigns is a hell worker in his own right. It's a shame that his character is so miscast. Just let him be an unlikable asshole that kills people.

No McMahon's on the show, which was a huge plus as well.

Still not enough to end my Raw/Smackdown hiatus, but i'm at least looking forward to hearing about what happens tonight.

Ambrose x Jericho, you mean.
Yikes, I've been doing a lot of that lately. Maybe i need more sleep.

User avatar
InYourCase
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Location: Lanza's Dojo
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by InYourCase » Mon May 23, 2016 3:07 pm

I am very conflicted on the main event. It was great. Phenomenal, dare I say. This is perhaps AJ's best performance EVER, eclipsing the 12/11/05 Samoa Joe match or any number of his New Japan matches. I've always considered AJ to be great, but a step below "best in the world" hype - that's changed. He was on another planet in this match. I also appreciate the way he's shaken things up, in terms of the WWE style. His table spots in both this match and the Payback match felt so fresh, so unpredictable. He has broken the WWE mold (one exception, which I will get to) and it's a beautiful thing.

I think this was Roman's best outing to date. I liked him in the Brock match, I loved him here. AJ was better and I firmly believe that, but I'll give as much credit to Reigns as possible. I really liked his offense in this match. Innovative and fresh.

My problem comes with the finishing stretch. Not the interference, which I actually thought was perfectly executed (sans Gallows taking an hour to roll in the ring at one point) and perfectly timed, but AJ, for as great as he was, did EVERYTHING. The Styles Clash on the chair is what took me out of the match just a little, not because he was doing too much in terms of MOVEZ, but because he's gave it his all and came up short. In a vacuum, this is my favorite WWE match this year and something I could see finding its way onto the backend of my Top 10. Long term, I don't know how this is going to shape AJ with the viewers. They could look at it as "wow, this guy is awesome! Look at all that he did" or "This guy is good, but he's done everything to Jericho and Reigns and he keeps losing". I don't know. In a vacuum I loved it, but the hyper-mega-movez WWE style might hurt this one in the long run.

User avatar
ayaashm
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 am
Location: Kashmir
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 23, 2016 3:17 pm

H.U.S.T.L.E. wrote:
ronpeppers wrote:Even the IC, dope as it was in isolation, showed how desperately Zayn/Owens need a couple of months apart and how little they give a fuck about working Cesaro into an actual character. Ho diddly hum..
ayaashm wrote:Meltz mentioned that Miz is getting a new challenger and the rest are going to be in the MiTB.
Interesting that they seem to be moving Miz on to someone else. The way the finish occurred made it seem like they might give Zayn a singles match for the title, but maybe that happens as TV filler. Curious to see who's up next if that's the case because I'm struggling to think of a face to slot against Miz. My best guess is that it's something for Big Cass to do while Enzo is recovering.

As far as keeping Owens & Zayn apart, I think there an easy way to make that happen - the authority figures can threaten long suspensions if they interfere in matches, which would effectively move them along to something else for the foreseeable future. The question becomes, what do you move them into next?

The fact that there's unpredictability in the midcard is nice though and they have a healthy mix of characters right now. Del Rio, Sheamus, Kalisto, Rusev, Owens, Zayn, Cesaro & Miz... And that doesn't even include dudes on the shelf like Neville & Harper or guys like Ambrose & Styles who are seemingly onto something else now.

Point being, this is the most interesting WWE has been in a long time from my perspective.

Styles, IMO, if he's moved down will get the title and do some cool defenses against good workers i.e Neville, Zayn etc. till Nakamura comes up and they have that for SummerSlam or some PPV.
Also, WHC picture is going to revolve around Brock,Ambrose/Owens, Rollins and Reigns. I think they have two options for Mania : Shield triple threat and Cena-Reigns. Both are big time match ups.
MiTB will (IMO) include Owens,Styles,Zayn,Cesaro,Ambrose,Del Rio and Sheamus. Ambrose or Owens have been protected/gotten big wins ( over Jericho).
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

User avatar
ayaashm
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 am
Location: Kashmir
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by ayaashm » Mon May 23, 2016 3:20 pm

InYourCase wrote:I am very conflicted on the main event. It was great. Phenomenal, dare I say. This is perhaps AJ's best performance EVER, eclipsing the 12/11/05 Samoa Joe match or any number of his New Japan matches. I've always considered AJ to be great, but a step below "best in the world" hype - that's changed. He was on another planet in this match. I also appreciate the way he's shaken things up, in terms of the WWE style. His table spots in both this match and the Payback match felt so fresh, so unpredictable. He has broken the WWE mold (one exception, which I will get to) and it's a beautiful thing.

I think this was Roman's best outing to date. I liked him in the Brock match, I loved him here. AJ was better and I firmly believe that, but I'll give as much credit to Reigns as possible. I really liked his offense in this match. Innovative and fresh.

My problem comes with the finishing stretch. Not the interference, which I actually thought was perfectly executed (sans Gallows taking an hour to roll in the ring at one point) and perfectly timed, but AJ, for as great as he was, did EVERYTHING. The Styles Clash on the chair is what took me out of the match just a little, not because he was doing too much in terms of MOVEZ, but because he's gave it his all and came up short. In a vacuum, this is my favorite WWE match this year and something I could see finding its way onto the backend of my Top 10. Long term, I don't know how this is going to shape AJ with the viewers. They could look at it as "wow, this guy is awesome! Look at all that he did" or "This guy is good, but he's done everything to Jericho and Reigns and he keeps losing". I don't know. In a vacuum I loved it, but the hyper-mega-movez WWE style might hurt this one in the long run.

On Styles, I think they clearly slotted him as above someone like Del Rio,Miz etc but a notch below the Reigns level. Basically, if Brock-Cena-Reigns is the Top guy level. Then Styles is Upper Mid Card.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

User avatar
Buzz Sawyer
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:42 pm

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by Buzz Sawyer » Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm

What's Styles next program? It will be interesting to see on where he goes next.
Who's Rob Viper ?

User avatar
Garuda
Posts: 776
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:15 pm
Location: Chicago, IL
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by Garuda » Mon May 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:What's Styles next program? It will be interesting to see on where he goes next.
Yeah he could go anywhere really, for better or worse. The upshot of a rematch-focused PPV is that everything is up in the air until tomorrow. I'm not even sure how exactly the Rollins/Reigns storyline will look.

As for the PPV, I'm kind of thumbs-in-the-middle on it. I loved the IC title match, and I liked the Styles/Reigns match. Roman's getting better and better, and this was easily his most charismatic performance yet.

He's really growing with this dickish world-beater character, and I hope they stay the course with it. I also think that it works for people to monster-sell Reigns. Right near the start he was shoving Styles and Styles flew across the ring. It fits, and if he's the new Superman of the company I think they ought to steer more into that then the underdog/comeback kid thing.

The rest of the card was pretty disappointing; a wealth of two-star forgettables. That Rusev match was fun, and I hope they remain hot on both of those guys. The crowd was dead though, and frankly they had no reason to care going in. So not a terrible PPV, but a two-match show where some stuff really underdelivered.

User avatar
mprentice84
Posts: 182
Joined: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:25 am
Location: Rochester, NY
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by mprentice84 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:09 pm

Buzz Sawyer wrote:What's Styles next program? It will be interesting to see on where he goes next.
Rollins appears to be taking the main slot vs. Roman, so that leaves Owens, Zayn, Cesaro, Rusev, Miz, a returing Orton, or a returning Cena. Outside of Miz, all of those are money programs for me.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 23, 2016 8:37 pm

InYourCase wrote:I am very conflicted on the main event. It was great. Phenomenal, dare I say. This is perhaps AJ's best performance EVER, eclipsing the 12/11/05 Samoa Joe match or any number of his New Japan matches. I've always considered AJ to be great, but a step below "best in the world" hype - that's changed. He was on another planet in this match. I also appreciate the way he's shaken things up, in terms of the WWE style. His table spots in both this match and the Payback match felt so fresh, so unpredictable. He has broken the WWE mold (one exception, which I will get to) and it's a beautiful thing.

I think this was Roman's best outing to date. I liked him in the Brock match, I loved him here. AJ was better and I firmly believe that, but I'll give as much credit to Reigns as possible. I really liked his offense in this match. Innovative and fresh.

My problem comes with the finishing stretch. Not the interference, which I actually thought was perfectly executed (sans Gallows taking an hour to roll in the ring at one point) and perfectly timed, but AJ, for as great as he was, did EVERYTHING. The Styles Clash on the chair is what took me out of the match just a little, not because he was doing too much in terms of MOVEZ, but because he's gave it his all and came up short. In a vacuum, this is my favorite WWE match this year and something I could see finding its way onto the backend of my Top 10. Long term, I don't know how this is going to shape AJ with the viewers. They could look at it as "wow, this guy is awesome! Look at all that he did" or "This guy is good, but he's done everything to Jericho and Reigns and he keeps losing". I don't know. In a vacuum I loved it, but the hyper-mega-movez WWE style might hurt this one in the long run.
A few things to counter your points:

1) The Style Clash on the chair could have finished him, but the pin was broken up by an Uso.

2) Remember, the Styles Clash is not his WWE finisher; the Phenomenal Forearm is and he didn't hit it. Had he and had Roman kicked out, then I'd be more inclined to agree. He also didn't use the Calf Killer, so there's still that.

3) The crowd last night gave nothing to Roman but was going absolutely apeshit. Maybe I'm off base, but I see AJ getting the same sort of rub from this feud that Bryan got from his spring 2012 work against Sheamus and Punk.

4) Finally, much of this depends on what comes next. And that will be tricky because of the clog of talent now in the upper and upper mid card. I don't know that they'd think that, but I don't see why they couldn't have Cena challenge him to a match at MITB and then put him over. Alternatively, maybe if there is an actual plan to do AJ/Balor, have him in MITB, have him shine, but lose.

In the end, while not exactly the same, I think AJ may soon have the same sort of losing teflon Bryan once had. Not that he shouldn't win, mind you.

User avatar
JB Gremlin
Posts: 243
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:45 pm

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by JB Gremlin » Mon May 23, 2016 9:46 pm

Finally got around to the two important matches, I may watch the rest later depends how I go with BOSJ.

If I'm WWE I'm doing what I can to keep AJ as involved as he can be in the title picture and main event while he drops down the card for another feud. His performances post Mania, both bell to bell and on the weeklies in the angles have been utterly superb. It's been one of the most compellingly told feuds the WWE main roster has had in years and that is a credit to everyone involved, I was hoping for a Finn debut at some point into a match with AJ but now I'd hate that because Finn shouldn't lose coming in and AJ needs to be back in title contention as quickly as possible because he's just too good not to be there or there abouts. And I think Reigns comes out of this program not only in a better position as a character than he was going in but also in a better position as a wrestler as well, and he should carry this momentum on to a hot feud with Rollins.

The 4 way was also excellent, I think I actually enjoyed it a tad more although it's difficult to say as I watched that unspoiled but knew the main event result.

With the gradual injury returns of the last few months there are a lot of very interesting directions that could be taken including some potentially brilliant match ups.

User avatar
ayaashm
Posts: 740
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:19 am
Location: Kashmir
Contact:

Re: WWE Extreme Rules 2016 thread

Post by ayaashm » Tue May 24, 2016 4:26 am

Thoughts on tonight's RAW? If anyone was there live, how was the show?
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Post Reply