WWE Brand Split 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

WWE Brand Split 2016

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 25, 2016 1:05 pm

http://www.wwe.com/shows/smackdown/arti ... rk-july-19

Discuss, speculate, etc.

Seems like the right time for this given the glut of talent. Only weird aspect to this is it comes a week prior to a PPV which would have been a good time to do this.

Grammarian

Re: WWE Brand Split 2016

Post by Grammarian » Wed May 25, 2016 1:14 pm

As I said in the women's division thread, I'm not sure a brand split is good for the women, simply because there are far fewer women on the roster and splitting them is limiting. It limits the feuds you can have, especially in the long run. Of course I understand they can bring up women from NXT, though.
twitter me @ItsGrammarian

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 25, 2016 1:16 pm

They could do this without giving it pomp and circumstance...so, it could be a fluid thing when the roster inevitably grows and shrinks through the ebb and flow of a year.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Wed May 25, 2016 1:19 pm

Really really hoping they don't add a second World Title.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Wed May 25, 2016 1:27 pm

Hope they handle it better and don't get jealous of their own show and try to undermine smackdown.
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

JML

Post by JML » Wed May 25, 2016 1:44 pm

GuestTimekeeper wrote:Really really hoping they don't add a second World Title.
This.

I love the Big Gold Belt but to me, having another world title felt cheap and a way to sell more replicas of the Big Gold.

The world champion should only work both shows if needed. This screams to me that Cena is coming back to beat Rusev for the US Title and he's taking it to Smackdown in the summer.

As for the women, I'd make the Women's Title Smackdown exclusive because they always seem to stick the women in Hour 3 of Raw, which gets the lowest amount of viewers every week.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 25, 2016 1:47 pm

For this to be a success it requires WWE not to be WWE - micro managing, short termist, standardised production etc. Have little faith.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Wed May 25, 2016 2:02 pm

A brand split could really help a guy like Big E or Luke Harper. Get them out of their stable and push them as a legitimate singles threat.

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Wed May 25, 2016 2:18 pm

They've done business so differently in so many ways the past while, maybe they'll do this right this time.

A few semi-formed thoughts:

- There is enough depth/divisions that they can do this right. Keep the women together on one show, have one show have a hot tag division, they're creating a cruiserweight championship, etc, etc.

- RAW being 3 hours is going to be much more noticeable - shallower pool of talent, plus the next night you'll be able to watch a 2 hour show.

- They should really take this opportunity to revamp the look of both shows. Smackdown (also, change that name....it was outdated and silly sounding about 6 months after the show debuted) needs to look totally different from RAW, which itself needs to be revamped. Different sets, different angles, different lighting....anything to make them look and feel different. This is my biggest concern. They're obviously not going to hire a whole new production crew.

- The less crossover, the better. The previous split failed because (among a myriad of other reasons) it wasn't a true split and there was too much cross over. If RAW and Smackdown don't really acknowledge each other for a year or more, that's a good start. That goes for the cross over champion too. While that can work, it may create more issues than it solves. As soon as one brand-specific performer wins it, he shows up on the other show disconnected from all those storylines and, theoretically, the crowd.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:41 pm

If they give Ryan Ward the freedom to book a professional wrestling show on Smackdown, this could be a huge success. Everything rides on the shows being different in production and presentation.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:42 pm

rovert wrote:For this to be a success it requires WWE not to be WWE - micro managing, short termist, standardized production etc.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 25, 2016 2:48 pm

If I were doing this, here's the way I'd manage it:

1) Divide the rosters as evenly as possible. To deal with the disparity between Raw and Smackdown, you can do one of two things-split the roster so 60% is on Raw and 40% is on Smackdown and augment Smackdown with NXT wrestlers or do it evenly and have a return to feature/jobber matches on Raw during the first hour.

2) Make the US and IC titles brand exclusive. In terms of the tag and women's belts, you could either make each division brand exclusive (what I think they might do) or make it like the world title and have it defended as discussed below.

3) The world title is a cross brand title and is only defended on PPVs. Have the brands alternate except for the big shows where you could do cross brand matches on the prior PPV to establish the challenger. So, you'd get 4 Raw challengers, 4 Smackdown challengers and 4 up for grabs.

4) Keep the Pay Per Views dual branded but add 1-2 brand specific specials this year with the idea of doing 2 brand specific specials for each brand next year.

5) Have PPVs announced by the announcers for each brand or have a cross brand three man team (Cole, Mauro and Lawler perhaps?)

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Wed May 25, 2016 3:06 pm

Wow. It's really happening.

I guess I have the same opinion as the people above me, in that I think it could work just as it could've worked the first time if they can just keep themselves honest to the format.

I like mlev's points above, and the biggest question is the Women's and Tag Division. On the one hand I think that splitting either and giving them each a belt would the the complete wrong move. My knee-jerk reaction is that those divisions should be on both, but I also want the brands to be truly distinct. I agree that it hurt the original split when they crossed over too much.

Is a Raw Women's division and a Smackdown Tag division the right call? It's growing on me. Brands need distinctions to thrive, and those divisions would give the two shows a different feel. Plus the New Day may still have enough juice to draw for Smackdown.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 25, 2016 3:15 pm

I think WWE will run an extra day of live events. Raw will be Friday-Monday loop and Smackdown will be Saturday-Tuesday.

An interesting day for indie talent on the WWE radar. As the increasingly squeezed ROH both in terms of talent and at the live gate.

Also WWE can hoard talent even more from other promotions as they've created more on screen roles today. In theory the brand split will elongate a wrestler's WWE career as they can be refreshened by being drafted to another roster.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed May 25, 2016 3:24 pm

Will start off well enough and freshen things up, but will quickly regress and suffer from the same problems it had the first time.

The first brand split never really had a finite ending, it sort of just slowly faded into oblivion. Even a few years ago they were still pretending it existed.