WWE Brand Split 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Garuda

Re: WWE Brand Split 2016

Post by Garuda » Wed May 25, 2016 3:26 pm

I just realized: didn't they say the Cruiserweight Classic would end in a Cruiserweight title? I kind of thought it might be for NXT, but going into the brand split you'll have a belt imbalance

But if they take a page from NJPW, and elevate their IC title, which they've been trying to talk up for a while, you can have Smackdown have the IC title, the Cruiserweight title, and the Tag tiles, while giving Raw the WWE Championship, the Women's belt, and the U.S. Title.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed May 25, 2016 3:38 pm

The Cruiserweight title was screw up with the ring announcer getting confused. May still happen though.

Another plus the brand split could the morale issues I've been talking about the last month. Will provide more screen time for disgruntled midcarders.

H.U.S.T.L.E.

Post by H.U.S.T.L.E. » Wed May 25, 2016 4:00 pm

I'm intrigued. As others mentioned, I think they've got the depth to make it work but there's still a lot of question marks. Smackdown being live will certainly help close the gap somewhat on the "B show" stigma, which is a big plus in my book.

I don't have much to add, but I like the breakdown of Raw having the Women's title and US title exclusive, Smackdown having the IC title and Tag belts exclusive, and a floating WWE champ. Not sure the best way to book that, but it'd be a fun change.

ronpeppers

Post by ronpeppers » Wed May 25, 2016 4:13 pm

Yay for the draft returning, absolute boos if that godawful brand-pride PPV appears again.

Uhaacrews

Post by Uhaacrews » Wed May 25, 2016 4:28 pm

This would early on help people who they're are currently featuring on TV keep they're spots or even go higher once everybody is back. If they weren't going to do a brand extension people like AJ, Cesaro, Zayn, etc would be pushed down further when Cena and Orton return and you also have Big Show and Kane still around.

As has been mentioned, this will only increase WWE poaching talent from the outside. They will now have three brands to focus on. No doubt some of the main NXT players will be called up in order to help fill the brands on Mondays and Tuesdays, which means they have to fill out spots for NXT touring.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 pm

Uhaacrews wrote:This would early on help people who they're are currently featuring on TV keep they're spots or even go higher once everybody is back. If they weren't going to do a brand extension people like AJ, Cesaro, Zayn, etc would be pushed down further when Cena and Orton return and you also have Big Show and Kane still around.

As has been mentioned, this will only increase WWE poaching talent from the outside. They will now have three brands to focus on. No doubt some of the main NXT players will be called up in order to help fill the brands on Mondays and Tuesdays, which means they have to fill out spots for NXT touring.
I honestly don't know how much this will be the case. They currently run three (sometimes four) separate crews of shows, so I don't know how much more talent they need. If anything, the brand that may be hurt the most would be the local NXT shows as they may choose to move some of the better NXT guys up and replace them with people who are currently only working Florida shows.

Talent acquisition/hoarding will no doubt continue, but I can't see it significantly increasing due to this.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 25, 2016 5:08 pm

lol @ the draft.

The brand split is one of the worst things they've ever done. Its incredibly contrived.

If you want to have a brand split, you don't need to make a big deal out of it. It can be the most subtle of changes in how they organize the roster. It doesn't need to be this televised thing and this actual distinction. Raw is the big show where all of the featured acts are. Smackdown is where the bulk of the roster gets screen time and storylines to work with.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed May 25, 2016 5:22 pm

I'm firmly in the short-term boom long-term bust camp with regards to another brand split. People are clamouring for it, and I understand why... on it's face, it seems like a fantastic idea, a great way to get more people exposure, freshen up cards, etc., etc. And in the short term, it is. You'll have a handful of underpushed folks immediately thrust into main event or upper main event pictures, you'll have some time for more matches and feuds to flourish, mature and get time. Then, reality will set in. Just like the original brand split, it had a shelf life and eventually roster movement, stagnation and too many titles rendered it meaningless or just down right boring. People look back fondly on the brand split era but it's really just a few periods of SmackDown here and there that were good, the rest was largely shit including RAW in 2003 which was the absolute worst period in that show's existence.

If and a huge IF, they are committed to making the two shows look and feel different, maybe it works. I doubt they are though, it's going to require a lot of long term thinking and this company has not been big on that as of late. There's also a star depth issue. The roster has never been better in terms of guy who can go. That won't be a problem. The problem is, 95% of the card has been on the hamster wheel facing one another week in and week out, trading wins, etc. A roster split will only amplify some of these mundane, overdone match ups as they'll have to happen double the amount of time with the split rosters.

Also another note, people are immediately bringing up guys in NXT and yeah, it makes sense that your Nakamuras and Bobby Roodes should be on one of the shows right away but let's not forget, NXT tours now. NXT has to draw on its own. You can't simply take every decent draw on their roster and put them on SmackDown. This isn't Cornette's OVW. Hunter is going to want his guys to stay on the brand so long as they continue to tour and sell tickets on the road.

I'm hopeful, I really am just don't have faith WWE can do it well.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:28 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Also another note, people are immediately bringing up guys in NXT and yeah, it makes sense that your Nakamuras and Bobby Roodes should be on one of the shows right away but let's not forget, NXT tours now. NXT has to draw on its own. You can't simply take every decent draw on their roster and put them on SmackDown. This isn't Cornette's OVW. Hunter is going to want his guys to stay on the brand so long as they continue to tour and sell tickets on the road.
With Ryan Ward now writing Smackdown, isn't that by an extension somewhat of Hunter's brand as well? Moreover, there is a very clear power struggle going on now between the old guard and the NXT callups. It would not shock me to see many of the NXT callups who've been underpushed (Breeze, Crews, Corbin) featured now more prominently due to this split.

In terms of not gutting the touring NXT roster, clearly, we won't see a mass exodus of the top names. But, maybe this will allow for more guys on the non-touring NXT roster to come up to the next level and be maximized as stars. I know some see this as a sign that the indies are about to get ransacked, but there is an overabundance of talent already on the payroll not to shift some of this talent.

And not for nothing, but with all the main roster releases, I doubt this being done to elevate Jack Swagger or to ensure Big Show or Kane top spots.

Uhaacrews

Post by Uhaacrews » Wed May 25, 2016 5:32 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Uhaacrews wrote:This would early on help people who they're are currently featuring on TV keep they're spots or even go higher once everybody is back. If they weren't going to do a brand extension people like AJ, Cesaro, Zayn, etc would be pushed down further when Cena and Orton return and you also have Big Show and Kane still around.

I honestly don't know how much this will be the case. They currently run three (sometimes four) separate crews of shows, so I don't know how much more talent they need. If anything, the brand that may be hurt the most would be the local NXT shows as they may choose to move some of the better NXT guys up and replace them with people who are currently only working Florida shows.

Talent acquisition/hoarding will no doubt continue, but I can't see it significantly increasing due to this.
Yeah the better NXT names will be brought up to give a buzz to Raw and Smackdown. They will have to call people up at a faster rate to keep things moving. The spots in NXT will be filled by more outsiders who made their names elsewhere. Don't forget they have also had a number of people quitting and getting fired and they are still not done with the departures. So that creates even more openings.

On another note, will they still have Saxton on shows?

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Wed May 25, 2016 5:33 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
With Ryan Ward now writing Smackdown, isn't that by an extension somewhat of Hunter's brand as well? Moreover, there is a very clear power struggle going on now between the old guard and the NXT callups. It would not shock me to see many of the NXT callups who've been underpushed (Breeze, Crews, Corbin) featured now more prominently due to this split.

In terms of not gutting the touring NXT roster, clearly, we won't see a mass exodus of the top names. But, maybe this will allow for more guys on the non-touring NXT roster to come up to the next level and be maximized as stars. I know some see this as a sign that the indies are about to get ransacked, but there is an overabundance of talent already on the payroll not to shift some of this talent.

And not for nothing, but with all the main roster releases, I doubt this being done to elevate Jack Swagger or to ensure Big Show or Kane top spots.
No doubt this is being used a vehicle for guys like that, (you can add Big Cass to that mix too) BUT, there's a gift and a curse to that... is more exposure what guys like Crews or Corbin need?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 25, 2016 5:39 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:

No doubt this is being used a vehicle for guys like that, (you can add Big Cass to that mix too) BUT, there's a gift and a curse to that... is more exposure what guys like Crews or Corbin need?
Since the call was made that they want them to have a go at being something, yes. Would I have made that call? With Crewes, yes, with Corbin, no. But, once you make the call, you have to commit. Bringing them up to be on C shows isn't committing.

I'm very curious how they divide things up given the extra hour of Raw.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:I'm firmly in the short-term boom long-term bust camp with regards to another brand split. People are clamouring for it, and I understand why... on it's face, it seems like a fantastic idea, a great way to get more people exposure, freshen up cards, etc., etc. And in the short term, it is. You'll have a handful of underpushed folks immediately thrust into main event or upper main event pictures, you'll have some time for more matches and feuds to flourish, mature and get time. Then, reality will set in. Just like the original brand split, it had a shelf life and eventually roster movement, stagnation and too many titles rendered it meaningless or just down right boring. People look back fondly on the brand split era but it's really just a few periods of SmackDown here and there that were good, the rest was largely shit including RAW in 2003 which was the absolute worst period in that show's existence.

If and a huge IF, they are committed to making the two shows look and feel different, maybe it works. I doubt they are though, it's going to require a lot of long term thinking and this company has not been big on that as of late. There's also a star depth issue. The roster has never been better in terms of guy who can go. That won't be a problem. The problem is, 95% of the card has been on the hamster wheel facing one another week in and week out, trading wins, etc. A roster split will only amplify some of these mundane, overdone match ups as they'll have to happen double the amount of time with the split rosters.

I'm hopeful, I really am just don't have faith WWE can do it well.
Balancing all three touring rosters should be something that a giant like WWE has no problem doing. History says otherwise, but I'll consider July a fresh start and give them the benefit of the doubt.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:21 pm

It'll be very interesting how much more rope Vince gives to Hunter. Between NXT and now the possibility of him and Ward running Smackdown as an independent entity, he could essentially see out a new signings career from day one to a WWE PPV main event. That's a huge amount of trust.

JML

Post by JML » Wed May 25, 2016 7:00 pm

mprentice84 wrote:It'll be very interesting how much more rope Vince gives to Hunter. Between NXT and now the possibility of him and Ward running Smackdown as an independent entity, he could essentially see out a new signings career from day one to a WWE PPV main event. That's a huge amount of trust.
I listened to Rich Brennan's interview on Wrestlezone after he was released and he said that mostly Vince and Michael Cole were producing him when he did Smackdown. So I'm starting to question how much free reign the team of Triple H, Road Dogg, and Ryan Ward will have if Vince is still at Smackdown.