The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Pinkman

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by Pinkman » Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:59 pm

Highly enjoyable first night for Ultima Lucha Dos.

Starting off the night with a falls count anywhere match with Cage and Mack was such a great callback and I honestly wouldn’t complain if we got Cage/Mack in a falls count anywhere match every year at Ultima Lucha. This was so much fun, just like their match last year and I’m glad Mack got the big win to give him something.

Son of Havoc vs Texano was really good and Texano deserves a lot of props for some of the batshit insane spots that he took in that match, he flew around like a mad man for Havoc to really get the match over. Such dope stuff.

I was initially disappointed in the final being only like five minutes long because Mack/SOH could be a great match but it didn’t matter considering all the stuff that followed next. Great way to debut Dr. Wenger Jr, should be a nice storyline there for Havoc in Season 3.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:57 am

BoxingRobes wrote:Ultima Lucha Dos - Week 1 was just one long, kind of unnecessary program to set up Son of Havoc v. Dr. Wagner Jr. for next season. Essentially, a big waste of time, despite enjoying Cage v. Mack for all of the ridiculous slop it was. It was fun. The remaining 45m seemed kind of pointless.

Kudos to Famous B for a nice introductory promo. Showed fire. I just hate Dr. Wagner Jr.
All the gimmicks reminded me of TNA. At least this whole thing was self contained and the next two weeks can focus on other stuff.

That's the best I can say about this show.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:51 am

What really annoyed me was this was the first time Dario has come off as the evil promoter. Up until now he was very clearly defined as a promoter who just wanted to use and abuse talent to get them to give him violence. Sure, he had a grudge against the Havoc/Angelico/Ivelisse trio from the start but it was all in the name of getting him more violence. On this show he just came off as Vince McMahon stacking the odds against Stone Cold Steve Austin, Austin overcoming them & then Vince sending Big Show out to choke slam Austin for the obviously cheap win. It just didn't fit Dario's charachter since he got no violence and pissed off the fans whom he's always been on the side of since they want what he wants... violence.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:09 pm

I loved the the entire show, can only imagine what the other two nights will look like.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:57 pm

mlev76 wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:Ultima Lucha Dos - Week 1 was just one long, kind of unnecessary program to set up Son of Havoc v. Dr. Wagner Jr. for next season. Essentially, a big waste of time, despite enjoying Cage v. Mack for all of the ridiculous slop it was. It was fun. The remaining 45m seemed kind of pointless.

Kudos to Famous B for a nice introductory promo. Showed fire. I just hate Dr. Wagner Jr.
All the gimmicks reminded me of TNA. At least this whole thing was self contained and the next two weeks can focus on other stuff.

That's the best I can say about this show.
Perfect example. This was like Lucha Underground's love letter to TNA.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Tue Jul 12, 2016 1:17 am

I guess I liked part 1 of Ultima Lucha Dos more than most people did. I thought the opening match between Cage and the Mack was really fun - those guys have great chemistry and really know how to make the most of the Falls Count Anywhere gimmick (which the Temple is perfectly set up for). The ending of that match was a clever callback to their original Ultima Lucha match, and I thought that working in the idea of Cage slipping on the beer was really creative and different. The bar fight gimmick in the second match was kind of dumb but Havoc and Texano worked hard and pulled off a couple of impressive looking spots. I wish that the Havoc/Mack match had gone a bit longer, but I thought their work was good for the time they were given. I liked the whole unique opportunity angle and I didn't feel like Dario screwing Havoc out of the title shot was out of character at all. I don't have any strong feelings about Dr. Wagner Jr. (I've only ever seen him wrestle as an old man) but I thought that was a good payoff to the whole Famous B angle.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:14 am

Sexy Star was fucking trash tonight. She is most nights but tonight especially. I hope all the women in Lucha Underground & all women in general are disgusted that this is the female Lucha Underground chose to represent gender equality. She almost single handidly ruined that opening match which is incredible considering how many other good wrestlers were involved. Rarely do you see such a one person trainwreck performance.

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:57 pm

RobViper13 wrote:Sexy Star was fucking trash tonight. She is most nights but tonight especially. I hope all the women in Lucha Underground & all women in general are disgusted that this is the female Lucha Underground chose to represent gender equality. She almost single handidly ruined that opening match which is incredible considering how many other good wrestlers were involved. Rarely do you see such a one person trainwreck performance.
Does she have some dirty laundry on someone at LU? Is she banging Robert Rodriguez? I never understood why they push her so hard. Bare in mind this is the same person who beat Pentagon Jr. during his hot streak during season 1. I...just...don't...get...it.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 pm

I like how the least talented member of the crew is now the only one of them alive. I wish Castro was killed off instead of Cisco.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:11 am

itsberlo wrote:
RobViper13 wrote:Sexy Star was fucking trash tonight. She is most nights but tonight especially. I hope all the women in Lucha Underground & all women in general are disgusted that this is the female Lucha Underground chose to represent gender equality. She almost single handidly ruined that opening match which is incredible considering how many other good wrestlers were involved. Rarely do you see such a one person trainwreck performance.
Does she have some dirty laundry on someone at LU? Is she banging Robert Rodriguez? I never understood why they push her so hard. Bare in mind this is the same person who beat Pentagon Jr. during his hot streak during season 1. I...just...don't...get...it.
No, if anyone is gonna end up banging Rodriguez to get work it's gonna be Melissa Santos.

I think in order to sell someone like Robert Rodriguez on attaching his name to this project they had to play to his ego. His team really seems to like the concept of a female who fights men and is treated like an equal. So a big selling point of LU was they'd create a charachter in that mold. Sexy Star was chosen because she was the office favorite at the time & the fact her husband is a somewhat famous boxer in the Hispanic community didn't hurt since it's a name the El Rey executives would know and want to mingle with. It was the perfect fit. Now they can't drop the gimmick because it's likely the only thing Rodriguez is even aware of in the world of LU & dropping it may be the only thing that would cause him to re-think being invested in the (thus far) money losing project.

There appears to be a very evident split in the higher ranks of LU between the El Rey people who don't know wrestling & the wrestling people who want to do wrestling things. Example... run house shows or sell merchandise. Seems like a god damn no-brainer to us wrestling people. That's how you make money. Yet look how long it took them to put out any official merchandise and the stuff they have out now isn't near what it should be. The problem lies in the fact you can't sell house shows & merch to executives of El Rey. They're invested in this for the big bucks. Huge money syndication deals, movies, comic books, spin-offs, etc. It's big vision thinking from guys who are used to dealing with that sort of thing. So when they get approached by wrestling people saying "hey man, we can totally run a house show in Oxnard, CA drawing 1000 people & make around $20,000 in profit" the El Rey people don't really give a shit and won't approve it. What's $20,000 to them? Nothing. And since it's their money the wrestling people need to run the wrestling shows, that's why you don't see LU house shows even though as I already noted... it's basically a license to print money... just not enough to interest someone who is also running The Apprentice and dealing with multi-million dollar deals on a weekly basis. Try explaining to him why it's important to sell $25 Fenix t-shirts. :)

Little bit of a tangent but something that needed to be said because I don't see anyone else explaining stuff like this.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:26 am

That's appreciated analysis, Rob. (Not sarcastic)

itsberlo

Post by itsberlo » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:32 pm

That's awesome, Rob! Thanks!

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:05 pm

RobViper13 wrote:
itsberlo wrote:
No, if anyone is gonna end up banging Rodriguez to get work it's gonna be Melissa Santos.

I think in order to sell someone like Robert Rodriguez on attaching his name to this project they had to play to his ego. His team really seems to like the concept of a female who fights men and is treated like an equal. So a big selling point of LU was they'd create a charachter in that mold. Sexy Star was chosen because she was the office favorite at the time & the fact her husband is a somewhat famous boxer in the Hispanic community didn't hurt since it's a name the El Rey executives would know and want to mingle with. It was the perfect fit. Now they can't drop the gimmick because it's likely the only thing Rodriguez is even aware of in the world of LU & dropping it may be the only thing that would cause him to re-think being invested in the (thus far) money losing project.

There appears to be a very evident split in the higher ranks of LU between the El Rey people who don't know wrestling & the wrestling people who want to do wrestling things. Example... run house shows or sell merchandise. Seems like a god damn no-brainer to us wrestling people. That's how you make money. Yet look how long it took them to put out any official merchandise and the stuff they have out now isn't near what it should be. The problem lies in the fact you can't sell house shows & merch to executives of El Rey. They're invested in this for the big bucks. Huge money syndication deals, movies, comic books, spin-offs, etc. It's big vision thinking from guys who are used to dealing with that sort of thing. So when they get approached by wrestling people saying "hey man, we can totally run a house show in Oxnard, CA drawing 1000 people & make around $20,000 in profit" the El Rey people don't really give a shit and won't approve it. What's $20,000 to them? Nothing. And since it's their money the wrestling people need to run the wrestling shows, that's why you don't see LU house shows even though as I already noted... it's basically a license to print money... just not enough to interest someone who is also running The Apprentice and dealing with multi-million dollar deals on a weekly basis. Try explaining to him why it's important to sell $25 Fenix t-shirts. :)

Little bit of a tangent but something that needed to be said because I don't see anyone else explaining stuff like this.
I wonder why they can't compartmentalize things so that the wrestling guys can do their thing and the entertainment guys can drive the bus in other ways. The Sexy Star push makes much more sense now as I completely share your feelings on her albeit maybe not as passionately since I don't care as much about the product.

I thought the opening match was close to being great, but the reliance on the Star/Mariposa/Moth storyline really zapped some of the juice from it. Would love to see a Daga/Night Claw one on one match but I assume Night Claw is not on Season 3?

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:39 am

Sexy Star is indeed trash...too bad, as I thought she had finally turned the corner in LU during that Mariposa No Mas match. Once she and the Moths were the final three...what a shit show.

Flamita's new gimmick is either really cool or really cringey...not sure yet. The whole getup is kind of too Black Panther cosplay for me. The work is still great though.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:21 am

I enjoyed the Death Match despite Mil as a face being rather corny.

RIP Cholo. You will be missed.