The Lucha Underground Thread

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
RobViper13

Re: The Lucha Underground Thread

Post by RobViper13 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:53 am

Lucha Underground is weird in the sense they make you line up before entering & sign all these documents so they can show your image on TV, make sure you aren't wearing anything with a logo & all these other legalities. Then they'll go run a show where bloody wrestlers march through the crowd shoving fans at times. Just another in the long line of things that make zero sense with this company.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:18 am

Mike wrote:Dave said it all on today's WOR how I feel about Lucha Underground.

So upset its not on UniMas anymore too.
Summary?

Mike

Post by Mike » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:21 pm

It was basically how you look at the anticipation of season two compared to now at the mid-season finale of season three, it's night and day. Dario is great, the wrestling is great, but Lucha Underground does not have any buzz going.

I think people gang up on ROH a lot, and some of it is justified, but what Lucha Underground has done or hasn't done has really driven it's stock way down. Right now, you look at how much content is out there and how much wrestling fans can watch. I'm a hardcore wrestling watcher and I'll watch 26 year old episodes of Superstars of Wrestling on YouTube with more anticipation and frequency than I'll check out Lucha Underground.

rollup

Post by rollup » Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:58 pm

strapping a rocket on Sexy Star instead of Pentagon Jr must be one of the dumbest decisions ever

CThrash13

Post by CThrash13 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:39 pm

rollup wrote:strapping a rocket on Sexy Star instead of Pentagon Jr must be one of the dumbest decisions ever
I agree 100%! I'm not sure who made that decision, but it's quite possibly the worst the company has made so far. Pentagon Jr. is pure gold.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:26 pm

My hunch is it's not as much a choice between them too, but LU thinking they had time for a long term build to going to Pentagon. And striking while you can with someone is maybe the lesson of the current wrestling scene.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:10 pm

So according to MLW Lucha Underground will debut on Netflix this month on the 15th
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:59 pm

I watched the first 3 episodes of the current season and then fell off. I'm really not super all the episodes but is there any thing I should be keeping an eye out for or avoiding. Majorly looking for must see matches and builds.

Most likely anything with Pentagon Dark, Prince Puma or Fenix I'll watch, anything involving Sexy Star I would like to avoid. She's the worst.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:56 pm

Lucha Underground's Facebook page now has a "5/31/17" banner, so I'm guessing that's the return date for the second half of Season 3.

I was actually going back and re-watching some matches from Season 2. The first part of that season started off with some incredibly strong matches, when you look at everything up to Aztec Warfare II. You had the Fenix/King Cuerno series (which I think was a pretty underrated feud in that season, as all three matches were really good/great), the Mil Muertes/Prince Puma/Pentagon Jr. Triple Threat, and the Mil Muertes/Fenix title match. A lot of strong stuff in that first part of Season 2.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:29 am

dancecab wrote:I watched the first 3 episodes of the current season and then fell off. I'm really not super all the episodes but is there any thing I should be keeping an eye out for or avoiding. Majorly looking for must see matches and builds.

Most likely anything with Pentagon Dark, Prince Puma or Fenix I'll watch, anything involving Sexy Star I would like to avoid. She's the worst.
This season has been kind of lackluster so far, but if you catch the following episodes you should be up to speed...

Episode 11 – Aztec Warfare III. Not as good as the original, but about on par with AW II. I’m not a big fan of who they booked to win this but the match itself is tons of fun.

Episode 13 – Breaker of Bones. This is the only episode so far this season where Pentagon has been prominently featured, but it’s basically an episode-long gauntlet match where he does battle with Black Lotus and her henchwomen. I think the intergender stuff on this show has been a mixed bag at best, but it works really well here for the most part.

Episode 15 – En Las Sombras. Looking at the lineup for this episode you wouldn’t expect it to be a must-see, but there are two excellent 4-way brawls, one with PJ Black, Jack Evans, Son of Havoc and Angelico, and one between Jeremiah Crane (Sami Callihan), Mariposa, Dante Fox (AR Fox), and Killshot. I know that second one doesn’t sound promising on paper, but it was my favorite match of the season so far. Both of those matches feature spots where I’m legitimately amazed that some of the participants didn’t die.

Those are the only truly must-see episodes from this season so far in my opinion, but you might want to check out the following episodes just to catch a few standout matches...

Episode 5 – The Prince and the Monster. Really good Prince Puma/Matazna main event. Puma/Ricochet takes the best bumps in pro wrestling.

Episode 10 – Ready for War. The Grave Consequences match between Puma and Mil Muertes is really good, though it doesn’t quite have the same atmosphere or intensity as the original Grave Consequences.

Episode 12 – Every Woman is Sexy, Every Woman is a Star. Skip to the Killshot vs. Dante Fox match, a really fun spotfest.

Frank Olson

Post by Frank Olson » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:34 am

DXvsNWO wrote:Lucha Underground's Facebook page now has a "5/31/17" banner, so I'm guessing that's the return date for the second half of Season 3.

I was actually going back and re-watching some matches from Season 2. The first part of that season started off with some incredibly strong matches, when you look at everything up to Aztec Warfare II. You had the Fenix/King Cuerno series (which I think was a pretty underrated feud in that season, as all three matches were really good/great), the Mil Muertes/Prince Puma/Pentagon Jr. Triple Threat, and the Mil Muertes/Fenix title match. A lot of strong stuff in that first part of Season 2.
I agree with your assessment of season 2. I remember it starting off really strong with the Fenix/Cuerno series (I really miss King Cuerno) as well as the cool touch of Mil Muertes overseeing the Temple on his skull throne. That group of back to back episodes with the great Mil/Puma/Pentagon triple threat, the awesome Mil/Fenix title switch (probably my second favorite match ever in Lucha Underground), and then Aztec Warfare II might have been the best consecutive run of episodes that the show ever had. I think the initial handling of Matanza was the show's first major creative misstep, as they went overboard trying to make him unstoppable, and that put a bit of a drag on season 2 as it went along. And then ending the season with Pentagon losing in his championship opportunity and old veteran Rey Mysterio defeating top young star Prince Puma set the booking on a path that it may never recover from, especially if they continue to insist on pushing Sexy Star as the "ace" of the promotion.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:43 pm

Frank Olson wrote:
dancecab wrote:I watched the first 3 episodes of the current season and then fell off. I'm really not super all the episodes but is there any thing I should be keeping an eye out for or avoiding. Majorly looking for must see matches and builds.

This season has been kind of lackluster so far, but if you catch the following episodes you should be up to speed...

Episode 11 – Aztec Warfare III. Not as good as the original, but about on par with AW II. I’m not a big fan of who they booked to win this but the match itself is tons of fun.

Episode 13 – Breaker of Bones. This is the only episode so far this season where Pentagon has been prominently featured, but it’s basically an episode-long gauntlet match where he does battle with Black Lotus and her henchwomen. I think the intergender stuff on this show has been a mixed bag at best, but it works really well here for the most part.

Episode 15 – En Las Sombras. Looking at the lineup for this episode you wouldn’t expect it to be a must-see, but there are two excellent 4-way brawls, one with PJ Black, Jack Evans, Son of Havoc and Angelico, and one between Jeremiah Crane (Sami Callihan), Mariposa, Dante Fox (AR Fox), and Killshot. I know that second one doesn’t sound promising on paper, but it was my favorite match of the season so far. Both of those matches feature spots where I’m legitimately amazed that some of the participants didn’t die.

Those are the only truly must-see episodes from this season so far in my opinion, but you might want to check out the following episodes just to catch a few standout matches...

Episode 5 – The Prince and the Monster. Really good Prince Puma/Matazna main event. Puma/Ricochet takes the best bumps in pro wrestling.

Episode 10 – Ready for War. The Grave Consequences match between Puma and Mil Muertes is really good, though it doesn’t quite have the same atmosphere or intensity as the original Grave Consequences.

Episode 12 – Every Woman is Sexy, Every Woman is a Star. Skip to the Killshot vs. Dante Fox match, a really fun spotfest.
Thanks mate. Appreciate the write up. Look forward to tackling everything from 10 on based on this.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:58 pm

Frank Olson wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:Lucha Underground's Facebook page now has a "5/31/17" banner, so I'm guessing that's the return date for the second half of Season 3.

I agree with your assessment of season 2. I remember it starting off really strong with the Fenix/Cuerno series (I really miss King Cuerno) as well as the cool touch of Mil Muertes overseeing the Temple on his skull throne. That group of back to back episodes with the great Mil/Puma/Pentagon triple threat, the awesome Mil/Fenix title switch (probably my second favorite match ever in Lucha Underground), and then Aztec Warfare II might have been the best consecutive run of episodes that the show ever had. I think the initial handling of Matanza was the show's first major creative misstep, as they went overboard trying to make him unstoppable, and that put a bit of a drag on season 2 as it went along. And then ending the season with Pentagon losing in his championship opportunity and old veteran Rey Mysterio defeating top young star Prince Puma set the booking on a path that it may never recover from, especially if they continue to insist on pushing Sexy Star as the "ace" of the promotion.
With regards to Matanza being so dominant, I think it would've come off much better if he had lost the title at the end of the season. I actually re-watched Ultima Lucha Dos today, and it's painfully obvious that Pentagon Dark should've won the title there. Everything that led up to that match, from the initial squash of Pentagon Jr. after Aztec Warfare II, to his recovery and return towards the end of the season, would've led anyone to believe that the ultimate outcome was Pentagon getting redemption by defeating Matanza to win the title. That was the moment, and it was so easy, but they completely whiffed on it. I know part of the defense of not really pushing Pentagon Jr. harder in Season 1 was because they didn't know how big he was going to get on the independents, but at this point (I believe Ultima Lucha Dos was taped in January 2016), they had no excuse, as Pentagon Jr. had already competed in BOLA and was just coming off his first match with Chris Hero in AAW. I don't know hot set in stone their plans for Season 3 were, but if there was anytime to call an audible, that was it. Watching that match again, it wasn't great, but I don't think that would've matter as long as Pentagon won. The finish just came off as so deflating as a viewer. In a way, it was kind of like Hogan vs. Sting in WCW at Starrcade 1997, but if Hogan had won the match.

As a whole, I think Ultima Lucha Dos will probably be recognized as the turning point in the show's history, should Lucha Underground ever come to an end. It just seemed like they got too cutesy with the booking on this show, both in terms of the show itself and planning future directions. The final part of Ultima Lucha Dos (the two hour finale episode) had five matches, and four of them either featured referee bumps and/or interference, and that's not what you want in a season finale. As far as future directions go, It would've been cool to see Son Of Havoc get a title shot at the end of Season 3 (since he had gotten so popular), but they just threw that out the window and he lost to Dr. Wagner Jr. in less than three minutes. As far as the result of the Mysterio/Puma match goes, I honestly didn't mind the result that much, and I think it would've been less noticeable (as a negative) if a) They were planning a rematch down the line with Puma winning the second encounter (idk if they ever taped a rematch) and b) if Pentagon Dark had won the title. The bottom line is that the end of Season 2 was probably the start of the show's downfall (and that's not even talking about the more mystical stuff, which did turn some people off).

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:42 am

WELL THIS IS GARBAGE

http://www.wrestlezone.com/news/801879- ... ll-matches

"Pro Wrestling Sheet is reporting Lucha Underground Pentagon Jr, now going by the name Penta OM (Penta El Cero Miedo), may not be able to use that name after his former employer applied to trademark it.

Lucha Libre FMV, the parent company of AAA and Lucha Undergorund, filed for a trademark on the name one week after the wrestler announced this would be his new name after leaving AAA. The trademark application was filed in the United States and Mexico, but the wrestler is still able to oppose the trademark on the new name since it was filed so soon after his announcement.

F4Wonline.com also noted an application to trademark his brother Fenix’s name was also recently submitted. It was said AAA is looking to trademark Fenix El Rey and the new Penta name to prevent them from being used in the US and Mexico, even though neither one used them in AAA."

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:13 pm

I feel like he would be better off if he just used something like "Pentagon Negro" (sort of a Pentagon Dark variation). Honestly, I wasn't a fan of the Penta El Cero Miedo name.