Being Punked by Punk

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Being Punked by Punk

Post by mlev76 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:15 pm

The discussion of CM Punk's UFC debut this weekend, both before and after, has been somewhat perplexing to me. There seem to be quite a few wrestling fans and wrestlers praising him for some form of bravery or self confidence in taking on this challenge well outside his comfort zone. And granted, there is something to admire about taking any type of risk in life.

But, given that his UFC career is likely already over (Dana White said his next fight is unlikely to be in UFC), I can't help but wonder where is the praiseworthy behavior especially in the context of wrestling fans? He left the sport that made him, trashed it continuously despite getting the opportunities he received in UFC for no other reason but his wrestling career and even indirectly cause his wife to sacrifice her career. It's his life and he's obviously entitled to live it as he see fit. That doesn't mean he's really worthy of praise.

I've pretty turned a corner on him since the Cabana podcast as it really came across as the sourest of grapes. I'm not coming to this as someone who disliked him prior to-I own all of his ROH comps and got his WWE dvd the day it came out. I also give him credit for helping open the door in WWE to wrestlers on the independent scene.

But, that's where it ends. I'm a wrestling fan and have no use for MMA. To me, those who say it is pro wrestling are wrong; it's the next evolution of boxing which I also generally had no use for. So, if he really is divorced for life from the business that gave him so much, then I really don't have much use for him either.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Re: Being Punked by Punk

Post by BoxingRobes » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:04 pm

It was Celebrity Fantasy Camp.

I don't know what to make of it, however, I really don't care. It made for a very funny night of fights. The UFC doesn't really do a ton of freak show fights, and this was one of them, so it seems out of place. Seeing Punk get worked by a fledgling curtain jerker while looking like he was just diagnosed with AIDS was entertaining though.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:00 pm

I respect him for doing what makes him happy, especially with it being a risk. Too much of the human population chooses to live miserably, never willing to make a change to feel more fulfilled, instead going through the motions.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:48 pm

Punk is a whining, ultra-sensitive brat and emo-geek and I'm so fucking glad he got obliterated in the fight.

Jeff Hawkins
VOW Staff Member

Post by Jeff Hawkins » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:06 pm

I think there's a nuanced position to take

Punk is gutsy to walk away from comfort and do this. Should it have been in the UFC? No. Can you blame him for taking a deal? No
Can you blame UFC for making the deal? No. should they have? probably not if you care about "integrity"
Should the Ohio State Commission have licensed Punk for this level of fighting on the basis of professional wrestling experience mattering: no.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:02 pm

He isn't brave for taking a fight for a $2M purse. He got paid a ton of money to pursue what was essentially already a hobby.

It does take some guts to risk being humiliated on the biggest possible stage in front of the entire world, regardless of the monetary payoff.

The "Punk has balls, you gotta give him that!" stuff was getting out of hand last night. It's like I said on Twitter, he was given a fantasy chance to fight for two minutes because he's famous. He ended up with some bruises and a puffy ear. He didn't jump on a bomb or run into a burning building, let's pump the brakes on how brave he is.

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:36 am

Love CM Punk the wrestler, but at this point, I don't really care to ever see him anywhere again.

DETROIT_KEJB

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:45 am

I don't think he really cares if anyone says he is "brave" or gives him "respect". He did it because he wanted too. Why shouldn't he? It was likely an awesome experience for him despite the beating he took. The guy has always done his own thing and not been one to pander to fans. This was no different.

y2chae

Post by y2chae » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:59 pm

Yes Punk only got that fight because of his fame and status as a former top draw in WWE. I don't think anyone should be upset about that. James Toney got a UFC match based on the fact he's a former boxer. Yeah boxing is real (at least some of the matches are) but point is MMA promotions are willing to give guys with little or no MMA experiences spots on a card if it will generate buys.

Punk losing so thoroughly has pretty much killed his UFC career so anyone upset at him still can relish in the fact that he most likely won't be getting another fight.

jesse

Post by jesse » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:11 pm

The thing is UFC has always tried to say they aren't like PRIDE and then they went and booked something that would bring a tear to Sakakibara's eye. Then you have Punk who had an issue with part timers taking his Mania spot and then he goes to UFC and does the exact same thing there.

Tom Lawler's posts on Twitter are more of the general response people have than just wrestling fans who are talking about how brave it was for Punk to "chase a dream".
pro twitter trolling: @peskyyy

Shining Wiz

Post by Shining Wiz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:24 pm

UFC stopped being about just putting elite fighters in the cage a loooooooooooong time ago. They've put on more than their fair share of freak show fights.

They got what they likely expected out of Punk - a good number of ppv buys, a reminder that not just anyone can hope in the cage and fight, and new 'star' got some momentum.

As for Punk - he wasn't brave for 'chasing a dream'. It takes a level of fortitude not many have to train regularly, and a level beyond that to get into a cage and actually fight. Anyone who does that deserves respect. Bloody stupid to want to do that in the UFC for your first time in a competitive fight, but if someone's going to pay you that much and you're 37 years old.....

I've got no defence regarding the hypocrisy of stepping in off the street and being on UFC PPV after complaining about part timers in WWE. It's not exactly apples to apples, but it's close enough he should have some humility about that.