Ring of Honor (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: *NEW* ROH Thread. Keep it clean.

Post by mlev76 » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 pm

supersonic wrote:Observer:
While not announced yet, Kota Ibushi will be on the New Orleans show along with Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kenny Omega
This makes Ospreay on all the WWN shows even more intriguing

ErinQuinn

Post by ErinQuinn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:28 pm

If true, hope they do Flip vs Ibushi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawsoncomedy

Post by Lawsoncomedy » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:22 pm

One segment into Dalton's title run and I'm more invested in him than any champ since Lethal.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 am

Colt dropped a "no Vaseline" reference on commentary and I instantly thought of Rich's avatar. The Castle/Lethal banter was great in the opening segment. Flip v Marty was a great tv main event.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:36 am

Observer:
Right now the plan is for the Omega vs. Cody match to take place on 4/7 in New Orleans, but I could see them also delaying that for the All In show since the date is before they can use Bryan Danielson and they need a main event of that caliber.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:37 am

Mike

Post by Mike » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I think this week should have Marty vs. Flip, which was good and worth tracking down. All four shows taped at the Arena in December were actually very good, in-ring wrestling wise.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:42 pm

Mike wrote:I think this week should have Marty vs. Flip, which was good and worth tracking down. All four shows taped at the Arena in December were actually very good, in-ring wrestling wise.
ROH tv has been better than NXT as of late. I love weekly tv wrestling, that's the main reason I stick w/ this company.

Kirk D

Post by Kirk D » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:49 am

I agree. They have simple logical match builds. The match execution is solid and the endings usually make sense. Promo segments are usually good and never too long.

The only two turn-offs are the completely outdated visuals and the commercials for the not so sexy health issues of people of a different demographic than me.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:16 am

Ferrante207 wrote:
Mike wrote:I think this week should have Marty vs. Flip, which was good and worth tracking down. All four shows taped at the Arena in December were actually very good, in-ring wrestling wise.
ROH tv has been better than NXT as of late. I love weekly tv wrestling, that's the main reason I stick w/ this company.
That's a bold statement - what matches/segments have stood out?

Consider that after Houston, NXT hosted Ohno vs. Gargano, Riot vs. Deville feud-ender, Sullivan vs. Strong, Sanity vs. reDRagon, Dunne vs. Bate III, and Sullivan vs. Dain vs. Black vs. Gargano. Those are bare minimum a couple ****+ gems, including a legitimate MOTYC to conclude an all-time classic trilogy that had the misfortune of falling in the same calendar year as perhaps the greatest trilogy ever.

And that doesn't even include the Center Stage footage that's now rolling out. So for ROH to be better than NXT over the past 6 weeks, I'd like to know what suggested evidence would back that up for a lapsed viewer like me.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

supersonic wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:

Consider that after Houston, NXT hosted Ohno vs. Gargano, Riot vs. Deville feud-ender, Sullivan vs. Strong, Sanity vs. reDRagon, Dunne vs. Bate III, and Sullivan vs. Dain vs. Black vs. Gargano. Those are bare minimum a couple ****+ gems, including a legitimate MOTYC to conclude an all-time classic trilogy that had the misfortune of falling in the same calendar year as perhaps the greatest trilogy ever.

And that doesn't even include the Center Stage footage that's now rolling out. So for ROH to be better than NXT over the past 6 weeks, I'd like to know what suggested evidence would back that up for a lapsed viewer like me.
Ricky boy, you got me. This is me projecting my sorta bordem with NXT (full sail stinks, the builds are predictable, it's like get me to the takeover plz) and the fact that I didn't watch ROH tv for about a year so it feels new and fresh rn. I could never handle running a flagship VOW because I let personal feelings color objective crit. I hate when NXT is doing to red dragon (arguably) the best tag team of the modern era. KOR should be having bangers with Hideki Suzuki, not being a jobber underling goon for a terrible skinny midget wrestler (cole). But I guess these guys have families and shit...sigh. I don't get the hype around street prophets. Their in ring is fine but they alleged charisma feels very minstrel act to me.

I am enjoying the Lethal/Castle build a bunch...that has been sustaining me on ROH tv.

I enjoyed Bate/Dunne, but I'm not a big brit wres guy and the full sail crowd was dead. Hero doesn't wrestler the same on NXT )and even his "really good" Gargano match felt like 3.5 stars. LARS is by far my favorite thing about NXT right now, he's Sid that can wrestle and doesn't play softball.

One thing that bothers me about this forum is that there is a "VOW orthodox conventional wisdom" about things and if you defy that you're deemed irrational or wrong.

Richard, I'll make a point to list any dope ROH tv matches from here on out.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:13 pm

O’Reilly is definitely similar to Richards in that their attempts to be extroverted feel forced and inorganic (hence why I recently drew a parallel between Undisputed and NRC.) And like I wish with Richards, I’d much prefer O’Reilly play a role more similar to Horsemen era Benoit, just go out there and be the ruthless, borderline introverted backbone that lets his strikes and submissions speak for him.

Considering that nobody I follow really catalogs quality modern day ROH matches, that’d be excellent of you to do.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:04 pm

supersonic wrote:O’Reilly is definitely similar to Richards in that their attempts to be extroverted feel forced and inorganic (hence why I recently drew a parallel between Undisputed and NRC.) And like I wish with Richards, I’d much prefer O’Reilly play a role more similar to Horsemen era Benoit, just go out there and be the ruthless, borderline introverted backbone that lets his strikes and submissions speak for him.

Considering that nobody I follow really catalogs quality modern day ROH matches, that’d be excellent of you to do.
I will create a google spread of ROH tv for the year and rate the matches for you folks. At least I will bring some generative value to this place vs my usual casual shitposting. I attend their lowell PPV every year and the tv tapings the following night so I'll make a point to review that too. LU is the other show I follow on the reg that gets no love on this site, so maybe that'll be another niche I can help ya'll w/.

ThommyGunn

Post by ThommyGunn » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:
supersonic wrote:
Ferrante207 wrote:

Ricky boy, you got me. This is me projecting my sorta bordem with NXT (full sail stinks, the builds are predictable, it's like get me to the takeover plz) and the fact that I didn't watch ROH tv for about a year so it feels new and fresh rn. I could never handle running a flagship VOW because I let personal feelings color objective crit. I hate when NXT is doing to red dragon (arguably) the best tag team of the modern era. KOR should be having bangers with Hideki Suzuki, not being a jobber underling goon for a terrible skinny midget wrestler (cole). But I guess these guys have families and shit...sigh. I don't get the hype around street prophets. Their in ring is fine but they alleged charisma feels very minstrel act to me.

I am enjoying the Lethal/Castle build a bunch...that has been sustaining me on ROH tv.

I enjoyed Bate/Dunne, but I'm not a big brit wres guy and the full sail crowd was dead. Hero doesn't wrestler the same on NXT )and even his "really good" Gargano match felt like 3.5 stars. LARS is by far my favorite thing about NXT right now, he's Sid that can wrestle and doesn't play softball.

One thing that bothers me about this forum is that there is a "VOW orthodox conventional wisdom" about things and if you defy that you're deemed irrational or wrong.

Richard, I'll make a point to list any dope ROH tv matches from here on out.
Well said Ferrante. KCMO doesn't have any ROH affiliates so I don't really have anyway to watch but I would love to check it out, I'm a huge NXT mark but it seems like ROH is getting a little steam as of late.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 pm

ROH and ROH TV definitely feels fresher and something to be optimistic about than a year ago. Feels more like an independent identity from New Japan too.

I really couldn't pick a favourite between NXT and ROH TV currently to be honest as both are very watchable shows. I am more invested in the people in NXT but that has nothing to with the TV show itself largely. My advice is just enjoy them while you can as they can just as easily get dull again like both have for pretty long patches.