WWE Roadblock 2016 (PPV) - December 18, 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
BackLash

Re: WWE Roadblock 2016 (PPV) - December 18, 2016

Post by BackLash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Thoughts on Roadblock
- In the spoiler tag is a picture of the crowd that I took from my seat. As expected, they loaded up the hard camera side and while there were still a lot of people, it wasn't completely full.
► Show Spoiler
Open spoilers below

Pre-Show Match: Big Cass vs. Rusev - A fine match, I was expecting Enzo would get involved, but it was Lana who one-uped them. So this feud where no one is entirely right in this (Cass himself being the most innocent by helping his buddy despite what he was planning to do) will continue. I'm ok with that, but this can only benefit Big Cass as long as he wins more than loses, which I don't see happening.
Winner: Rusev via count out

Raw Tag Team Championship Match: New Day (c) vs. Sheamus & Cesaro - This happened much quicker than I thought, almost too quick for my taste. I'm happy I got to see this live, I just feel New Day losing the next match after they just broke a record is a cliche. The way it was done though, was awesome, Sheamus and Cesaro use of shenanigans gave New Day a taste of their own medicine, a literal slight of hand if you will. The match was on fire too, everyone fought well and best of all, the right team won. Sheamus is a good jerk heel, Cesaro is beloved by the crowd, they both are very skilled wrestlers and it should be interesting how their reign is handled moving forward.
Winner: Sheamus & Cesaro via pin-fall

10-Minute Singles Match: Braun Stroman vs. Sami Zayn - The match itself was just ok, but the tension that surrounded it was great. My only complaint is Braun let Zayn and Foley jibber-jabber for far too long instead of punishing Sami before time ran out. Time limit draw isn't one of the big two win styles (via pin or sub.) but handing Stroman his first singles defeat will be a nice addition to Zayn's career and motivation for Stroman himself to avenge said loss.
Winner: Sami Zayn via time limit draw

Seth Rollins vs. Chris Jericho - This was the definition of a TV match with KO accidentally costing Jericho the match. The match itself was technically sound but nothing of value was gained or lost as Rollins defeated Jericho, but he's still and issue. A meh match that accomplished nothing.
Winner: Seth Rollins via pinfall

WWE Cruiserweight Championship Match: Rich Swann (c) vs. TJ Perkins vs. The Brian Kendrick - I was out getting snacks at the time so I watched the match on the network this morning. This probably the first time that I've seen since they were on Raw what I expected out of a cruiserweight division, flying. I like Kendrick as a technical heel but most of these guys should be daring and high-flying. This match got closer to that, but there were 2-3 botches which is not a good look for the newest division in the company STILL trying to prove themselves to the crowd. A decent match but could have been better.
Winner: Rich Swann via pinfall
Note: It was also awesome to see the return of heel Neville and I think he'll give that division the shot in the arm it needs. Though all that time off of TV so he can eviley grow his beard is kinda dumb.

30 Minute Iron Man Match for the Raw Women's Championship: Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte Flair - The match was badass and these women have established themselves in my eyes as true main-eventers regardless of gender. However, Charlotte's convoluted PPV record led to that stupid, stupid finish. I know they made Sasha look strong in losing (her bleeding hard way helped as well), but she would have looked stronger if she would have just held on for 5 freaking seconds before regulation time ran out. It's so frustrating and I hate this record, the only solace I have is that this feud is over and done with and Shasha can get out from under the ramifications of it and actually being the Boss again.
Winner: Charlotte Flair via 3-2 overtime victory

Universal Championship Match: Kevin Owens (c) vs. Roman Reigns - A fun, brutal main event with an awesome (if botched initially) table spot. Not the best match on the card, but it worked well as a main event. Not happy about them capping off the show with stuff that happened in the other matches (outside interference, shenanigans, heels attacking the champ etc.) instead of Owens winning clean, but hey they made up for it with two more table spots.
Winner: Kevin Owens via disqualification

For a brand exclusive PPV, it met my expectations but aside from ShaSaro tricking the New Day and Neville returning, it did not exceed it. I had a fun time out, but for anyone who watched at home, I would understand if they were not thrilled by it.

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:20 pm

BackLash wrote:[I had a fun time out, but for anyone who watched at home, I would understand if they were not thrilled by it.
I've been to my share of underwhelming or outright brutal shows over the years, and the live experience almost always makes the night enjoyable. Concessions and creature comforts at the CEC are pretty solid too, which is always a plus :-)

Murrr

Post by Murrr » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:23 pm

It was an okay show, IMO. A couple of very good matches, a hot angle (Neville), and not a lot else.

The two things I enjoyed most were Cesaro and Charlotte's respective performances. Cesaro's just a goddamn machine, and from the moment he smashed Kofi with that opening dropkick, I knew he was gonna kill it last night. Really enjoying the team with him and Sheamus thus far, and that finish was fantastic. Hope they get a nice, long run with the belts and keep the workrate up, even when forced the wrestle geeks like Gallows & Anderson.

I like the approach they took with the Iron Woman match, but can't help but feel it'd have benefited from some more of their trademark danger. I'm cool with it escalating slowly, but I thought they were gonna go all-out when Charlotte stomped Sasha's knee in the corner towards the end. No problem with the limb work (it was excellent), but if the match built to some of that textbook Charlotte/Sasha loose, sloppy violence, I might have bumped my match rating up a bit.

Charlotte, for me, is one of the year's most improved wrestlers. That was the most complete performance I've ever seen from her, and her character work is on a completely different level to everyone else in the division. Loved her just barging through the referee and booting Sasha's knee in prep for overtime. She's such an unlikable piece of shit, and probably the best heel on Raw at the moment.

I didn't watch the main event because I knew bullshit would happen, and so it transpired.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:35 pm

Also,I don't think it's pointed out enough how absolutely terrible this company is at booking babyfaces. Good lord, they have absolutely botched Rollins & Roman. I mean,I love Jericho & Owens but shouldn't they be booed? Why are they far more interesting/funny/likeable than the guy they're pushing as the babyface?
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Tag match was my MOTN. Ladies match was 15 min of dopeness stuffed in a 35 minute bag. The rest was whatever just meaningless and washed over me.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:03 pm

ayaashm wrote:Also,I don't think it's pointed out enough how absolutely terrible this company is at booking babyfaces. Good lord, they have absolutely botched Rollins & Roman. I mean,I love Jericho & Owens but shouldn't they be booed? Why are they far more interesting/funny/likeable than the guy they're pushing as the babyface?
Owens and Jericho are at that level where they will never be booed because they are too entertaining. Meanwhile Roman is unlikable and Rollins comes off as a whiny baby who can't stop talking about HHH abandoning him like that is supposed to make him sympathetic. Doesn't help HHH isn't going to show up until after the NFL season is over because he wants to look like a draw because he's incredibly insecure.

Rainmaker_F7

Post by Rainmaker_F7 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:12 pm

The thing about Sasha and Charlotte is that they both work very, very hard, especially Sasha. Their goal is to have awesome and memorable matches, but it just doesn't work. While their Raw bouts were all either very good or great (I gave all three of them *** 3/4, **** and *** 3/4 respectively), PPV matches are just very underwhelming.

The thing about HIAC match is that there was a potential to have a great match. What hurt it was the booking of it; first that awful start with the stretcher spot, then that anticlimatic ending. Now here the story was the heel being 1-2 and chasing the face, which was just storytelling done backwards. And then Sasha just tapping out 2 seconds before the bell..my God, that's just next level of garbage booking.

So yeah, it looks like the feud is over. Some good matches and memorable moments, but also bad booking. 6-8 matches in what, 5 months? That's just too much, and the title becoming the hot potato doesn't help. If they planned this whole thing right, it could have been an all time great feud. It'll still define that whole Women's Revolution or whatever, but due to bad booking and some awful storytelling this is not even in the conversation for the feud of the year.

Also fans chanting "thank you Neville" meanwhile he beats the shit out of Swann and TJP tells you all you need to know about the current state of Cruiserweight Division.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:20 pm

Hopefully Kendrick out of the picture, I'm sure Swann can get the crowd back on his side because he has charisma. Abandon TJP to the midcard. Wish the CW Div wasn't stuck in its pocket universe and worked like it does in NXT where you have interaction with the divs, give me some big man little man teams, have Gulak and Nese fight Cesaro and Sheamus in competitive matches, you can do both perfectly fine. Would do a lot to get the cruisers over and not make their matches a heat sink and also help with roster thinness.

GuestTimekeeper

Post by GuestTimekeeper » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I wouldn't read too much into the crowd chanting "Thank you Neville." This happens every single time a heel comes in and does that kinda thing. Every time. WWE babyface are so terrible the crowd has been conditioned to not care about faces being beatdown. It's not a problem with the cruiserweights, it's a problem with the company.

Uhaacrewz

Post by Uhaacrewz » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:41 pm

It was okay at best. A few good thinks on there. Although I will say I don't think the crowd was as much of an indication on show quality. To me Pittsburgh has always been a dead crowd. I remember dating back to the attitude era. I think that was where the Radicals debuted.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:05 pm

I think the problem with Pittsburgh crowds is that we need to be actively pandered for us to give a shit. If only Kurt Angle wasn't a broken man, now that's a guy who could get a Pittsburgh crowd to pop. Anyway I don't know the cultural reasons why Pittsburgh has such shitty towns, though could be worse, could be Corpus Christi.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Sheesh, does a city have to be super marky and willing to blow out a lung to not be considered a bad crowd? I was there and everyone that I heard was making all sorts of noise. And even if there are quiet moments, I wouldn't write the city off. After all Hell in a Cell (aka THE HitC with Mankind and Taker) was here so was the Royal Rumble 2014 and No Way Out 2005 with the former everyone losing their mind that Daniel Bryan wasn't there and the latter I went to and I remember them being very vocal.

Leo C

Post by Leo C » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:00 am

BackLash wrote:Sheesh, does a city have to be super marky and willing to blow out a lung to not be considered a bad crowd? I was there and everyone that I heard was making all sorts of noise. And even if there are quiet moments, I wouldn't write the city off. After all Hell in a Cell (aka THE HitC with Mankind and Taker) was here so was the Royal Rumble 2014 and No Way Out 2005 with the former everyone losing their mind that Daniel Bryan wasn't there and the latter I went to and I remember them being very vocal.
That didn't come across on TV at all.

BackLash

Post by BackLash » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:16 am

Leo C wrote:That didn't come across on TV at all.
It really does suck, I think most people I talked to enjoyed the show a had a good time. Like I said there may have been some quiet moments but people were chanting. They were being smarks too (say "10" no matter what number the ref was saying when someone was out of the ring) but they there was chanting throughout other than the cruiserweight match. And it's really no big, if the audience at home didn't hear it, they didn't hear it. I just want to make sure you guys know we weren't sitting on our hands all night.

ajdb

Post by ajdb » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:25 am

I think a lot of it has to with WWE wanting to control the narrative for every second of the show. They play with the crowd volume so much that I think more and more unless the crowd is frenetic and doing what they want, WWE don't want the crowd to be heard.