WWE NXT 2017 (A-show schedule in OP)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

Re: WWE NXT 2017

Post by supersonic » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:14 am

Observer:
An interesting name at the Performance Center and NXT this past week was Sonjay Dutt. He both handled some training and also helped produce some of the NXT live events. ROH in December had talked with Dutt, including about doing commentary in the Steve Corino spot. Jeff Jarrett had talked with Dutt about helping with creative in TNA

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:15 am

Meltzer with less detail than me.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:19 am

Solid show this week with a good main event. Given how much I've disliked them so far, it says a lot about how much better Sanity is with Killian Dane. If he and Cross are the focus, they're actually a decent unit.

The only match/segment I disliked was the Liv Morgan vs. Billy Kay match. They are the two worst women who've appeared on TV for NXT currently and I don't think it's especially close.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:09 am

I really don't understand why people hate Kay and Royce so much. They're not like, amazing or anything, but they've had like ten years experience each and are at worse pretty competent. I don't hate it when they're on my tv.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:35 am

MobbVanDam wrote:I really don't understand why people hate Kay and Royce so much. They're not like, amazing or anything, but they've had like ten years experience each and are at worse pretty competent. I don't hate it when they're on my tv.
I think it is because they are just 'solid hands' in the division. Fans are underwhelmed by the current NXT women's division considering what it use to be. Therefore, people find Kay & Royce underwhelming. Also, they have that mean girls gimmick which can be quite annoying.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:15 pm

Going to NXT Asbury tonight and will be interested to see the crowd. Only person on the card tonight from last year's card is Asuka. Balor, Bayley, Zayn, Joe, etc all gone.

Last night's Philly show featured Kassius Ohno and Aleister Black, which is interesting because I can't recall them bringing people on the road before they've debuted on TV, so they must think pretty highly of Black. Apparently Montez Ford got over in a big way in Philly for his athleticness and red shoes, much like how Tye got over a couple years back on the 10 gimmick for the first Philly show.

Liv Morgan isn't on this loop, and I would imagine that it can't be a great sign for her career that she's not included on the New Jersey show, when most of her character is centered around...being from Jersey.

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:45 pm

ODonnell wrote:Going to NXT Asbury tonight and will be interested to see the crowd. Only person on the card tonight from last year's card is Asuka. Balor, Bayley, Zayn, Joe, etc all gone.

Last night's Philly show featured Kassius Ohno and Aleister Black, which is interesting because I can't recall them bringing people on the road before they've debuted on TV, so they must think pretty highly of Black. Apparently Montez Ford got over in a big way in Philly for his athleticness and red shoes, much like how Tye got over a couple years back on the 10 gimmick for the first Philly show.

Liv Morgan isn't on this loop, and I would imagine that it can't be a great sign for her career that she's not included on the New Jersey show, when most of her character is centered around...being from Jersey.
Heavy Machinery have some competition in the actual best tag team in NXT title

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:59 pm

MobbVanDam wrote:I really don't understand why people hate Kay and Royce so much. They're not like, amazing or anything, but they've had like ten years experience each and are at worse pretty competent. I don't hate it when they're on my tv.
I don't hate either of them and have been a fan of Royce up until this run. The gimmick, however, screams of "Divas" silliness doesn't serve either of them especially well.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:47 am

ODonnell

Re: WWE NXT 2017 (A-show schedule in OP)

Post by ODonnell » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:02 pm

Went to the NXT touring show this past weeked in Asbury and thought I'd pass along a few thoughts for anyone interested in the current touring landscape. Building was a couple hundred under capacity, I would put it at 2200,2300 out of 2500. Building was ice cold due to its open air construction, which hurt the crowd energy. Joe wasn't on the show despite being advertised, because of the call up. Asuka was the only hold over from last year's show, which is crazy if you think about it.

Cutler/Aleister Black - Cutler is from NJ, got a good reaction when it was announced, demanded to be announced from Florida, and got some good heat. Black was really meh in the match, didn't do much, and won with a spinning back kick. Cool finish though. Crowd had no clue who he was for the most part, which makes sense since he hasn't even debuted on TV yet.

Ember/Daria - Daria is also from Jersey, and was visibly excited to be there in front of her family, etc. Match was really good. Shocked me how good it was. Daria hesitates a little too much at times, but god damn if the wrestling wasn't great at times. Ember won, but Daria looked great with a MMA style and a fantastic comeback sequence. Crowd was into it big time.

Eric young/Oney Lorcan - Based on Philly the night before, people thought Tye was coming out, and when Oney's music hit, you could hear the groan and let down. But to his credit, he won the crowd over and got a "this is awesome" chant. He did an insane half nelson german off the top rope that was just nuts. Match was good, and the biggest pop came from Young doing a great Ric Flair Flop.

DIY/AOP - Typical great DIY match, who were super over. Only complaint would be up close (4th row ringside) Ciampa's offense is pretty weak. Just a lot of running knee's that don't connect with him slapping his thigh.

Tye/Patrick Clark - Good, but went way too long and crowd lost interest. Clark wore a Tom Brady jersey to rile up the crowd, and Tye was mega over. Patrick's got a lot of good character stuff, but too many rest spots and outside stalling. But there's clearly something there with Clark and that gimmick.

Sanity (Damo/Wolfe) vs. Montez Ford/Dawkins - Crowd didn't care that much, unti Damo fucked up and couldn't go over the rope on a clothesline. There's definitely something there with the Ford/Dawkins tag team, they had some cool spots including Ford running up Wolfe and doing a backflip. Ford oozes charisma, and Dawkins has improved in the ring. They're not there yet, but I think in 6 months they'll be pretty good if NXT builds them up.

Mandy Rose/Asuka - Holy shit was this match good. Mandy Rose was a believable threat in the ring, and the crowd was into the match. She is NOTHING like Eva Marie, and is seriously someone they need to push. Asuka is great as always, but Mandy Rose really impressed everyone.

Ohno & Nakamura/Cien Almas & Roode - Fucking awesome. Roode is such a star now, I can't believe its the same guy that looked like he wanted to blow his brains out a year ago doing a nostalgia tag team with Storm in TNA. Cien got no reaction, but by mid match the crowd was chanting Cien as his heel stuff was great. He's going to be ok. Breaking news, Nakamura's knee is fine. And he was the most over on the whole show. And Ohno was fucking great. His theme music is pretty good, and he looked pumped to be back in NXT. He got a few "Hero" chants which by the end went to "Ohno" but its still weird that he changed his name back. In the same way I said Ciampa's offense up close is weak, Ohno's is fucking amazing. He did a kick to Cien while doing the tranquilo that was insane, and the crowd went crazy. After the match Ohno/Nak did the pose/elbow thing that's been everywhere on social media.

Overall the show was better in ring than last year, but energy wise/talent wise worse than last year. That was to be exepcted losing Balor, Bayley, Sami, Joe, etc. Felt like they threw a lot of fresh faces out there to get some seasonsing and to see if they can get over. Daria, Mandy, and Ohno was by far the most impressive

achillesforever6

Post by achillesforever6 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm

I think it is good they are throwing fresh faces on the bigger tours instead of relegating them to the Largo loop only.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:06 am

Since WWE have got these UK guys signed I'd love to see them being used for some dream matches in NXT while they still can. Nakamura will be going up to the main roster within the next couple of months so I'd love to see him face Trent Seven or Pete Dunne before that. Or have Moustache Mountain face The Revival before they inevitably go up to the main roster too.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:27 pm

Tonight is the NXT UCF tapings, and it appears they'll be half empty with at best just camera side filled. Last year they put 4,000 in a building that holds 7,000, and this year they'll put at best 1,000 in a set up for 2,000. No clue why they didnt run this building for the Wednesday taping after Mania. Or why they expect people in Florida who see NXT at Full Sail or on the road for $20 to pay $100, everything about this just seems so inept.

Tapings will set up the Takeover Orlando card. Advertised for the Show are Ohno vs Roode for the NXT title, and Nakamura vs TJ Perkins....which is weird.

As long as we get Nakamura/Ohno at the Takeover for Nak's send off I'll be happy

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:39 pm

So glad Ohno/Roode is happening here and not at Takeover

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:43 am

My goodness the Andrews/Dunne match on TV today was awesome. Maybe my US MOTY so far. So good it even woke up that completely dead crowd. It's crazy the stuff these guys are allowed to do (multiple dive spots, head dropping, dangerous apron spots) compared to the 205 Live dudes. Really points the finger at the agenting being a key reason 205 Live blows chunks although in defense of the agents, they need to enforce what the boss wants to keep their jobs. But yeah... crazy match. Liked it better than their UK tourney match.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer