Next wave indie stars

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Next wave indie stars

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:54 am

I'm a firm believer that the indie pool is always well stocked, it's just a matter of people getting chances and promoters getting them over. After WWE skimmed the top hard, we've seen guys emerge like Keith Lee, Sammy Guevara, Dezmond Xavier, Jason Kincaid, Austin Theory, Lio Rush, Joey Janela etc step up from their respect regions and onto to the national scene.

Everyone knows Lee now, Sammy G, Kincaid, & Theory are EVOLVE regulars, Rush works everywhere and had a ROH run, Xavier is working TNA, and Janela was the beneficiary of some brilliant marketing by GCW. These guys aren't the next wave anymore, they are the current crop.

Post the people in your area who are poised to get noticed. I'm particularly interested in women. I had a promoter (who is a big proponent of booking women) tell me last year, after WWE signed the mass group that included Kimber Lee, Heidi Lovelace and others, that the female well was super dry to the point he was having trouble finding quality women and was considering dropping women's bouts.

Let's stay away from anyone working PWG or EVOLVE regularly. Those are people who have "made it".

dkookypunk43

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by dkookypunk43 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:29 am

I am thinking that new Gatekeeper (Nick Comoroto) that debuted at EVOLVE 83 can be a star because I have been seeing him for about 2 years at the Monster Factory facing guys like Riddle, Punisher Martinez and Mikey Webb. Speaking of another guy that can break out Mikey Webb is a star in my humble opinion. He's been busting his ass off and it will pay off. Another one I see being a star is Maxwell Jacob Feinstein.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Listen to Meet The Press Slam coming soon

King Of Indy Style

Post by King Of Indy Style » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:40 am

Gotta go with a fellow member of the Pacific Northwest, Shane Strickland. He got a break working Lucha Underground as Killshot, and now he's working all over, in DEFY in Seattle, he was in the main event of the first Lucha Forever show, he was a big part of WM Weekend, RevPro had him wrestle THE ELITE, and PWG has announced he's coming back on May 19th to wrestle Elgin.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:58 am

King Of Indy Style wrote:Gotta go with a fellow member of the Pacific Northwest, Shane Strickland. He got a break working Lucha Underground as Killshot, and now he's working all over, in DEFY in Seattle, he was in the main event of the first Lucha Forever show, he was a big part of WM Weekend, RevPro had him wrestle THE ELITE, and PWG has announced he's coming back on May 19th to wrestle Elgin.
I would argue that Shane Strickland is in that current crop of indy stars. He is getting work all over the place & is highly regarded. He is not a 'hidden' talent.
Last edited by ScorpioCorp on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:59 am

The thing about the indie scene is that there is plenty of 'hidden' talent due to lack of exposure in their respective regions. An example of this is the South Pacific Power Trip, who have had a lack of exposure due to competing in the Australian/New Zealand scene. Wrestling in Progress has put a lot of eyes on them & has lifted their game. Toni Storm & Evie are other examples of this. They have gotten a lot of buzz by wrestling in Japan, US & Europe.

Therefore, I think that there is a few wrestlers from the Australian scene who could make a splash in the global independent scene if given a chance. These people include Dowie James, Adam Brooks, Syd Parker, Jonah Rock, Damian Slater, Josh Shooter, Kellyanne, Marcus Pitt, Chris Vice, Chris Basso, Robbie Eagles, Mark Davis etc. That depends on whether the scene gets more exposure or they get international bookings.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:31 am

dkookypunk43 wrote:I am thinking that new Gatekeeper (Nick Comoroto) that debuted at EVOLVE 83 can be a star because I have been seeing him for about 2 years at the Monster Factory facing guys like Riddle, Punisher Martinez and Mikey Webb. Speaking of another guy that can break out Mikey Webb is a star in my humble opinion. He's been busting his ass off and it will pay off. Another one I see being a star is Maxwell Jacob Feinstein.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I've had people tell me that they think Maxwell Jacob Feinstein (doesn't he sometimes go as Einsberg?) is a sure fire star. Pat Buck has told people that he thinks he'll be the biggest star he every trained.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:32 am

I think Paco Gonzales from STL (basically) is gonna pop off real serious. That dude came off like a STAR at the first GloryPro show. He really got the crowd behind him and seems to be working all over the midwest. I'd def check that GloryPro show out if you haven't seen it. Definitely has room for improvement but I think he's a great prospect.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 pm

Haven't seen him yet myself but I'm super excited to see Curt Stallion after everything I've heard.

If he can improve his look a bit, Cain Justice in CWF-MA has some things to make him really stand out. I think he's a guy that could get really get over as a hateable heel that you have to respect because he's tough and can rip people's arms off with submissions.

CCK (the Brookes/Lykos version) are about to explode everywhere as the next breakout UK names. Chris is one of the smartest guy's on the indies - was the hardest of the hardcore in terms of fandom ever since his early teens (posting on CZWfans!) and knows how to get over with indy fans. Look at the work he's been putting in on twitter and with merch/publicity stuff. The guy gets it more than anyone.

He's still very raw (less than a year in) but Omari made me stand up and take notice at the Fight Club Pro show. He's very much in the Ospreay/Ricochet/Dez mould but has to be around 6'3 minimum and has a frame that he'll grow into. Looks a super propsect.

I think Penelope Ford has star aura and she's going to step into Candice LeRae's spot on the indies if she leaves for NXT.

Last guy I'll mention is Alex Daniels. This guy has knocked my socks off the last two times I've seen him. He's doing the cutesy Ben Affleck stuff right now which is a fun creative gimmick to turn a few heads but he's going to grow out of that in the same way his trainer Johnny Gargano grew out of his scrunchie/Rugrats phase, and become a star. He looks like a star, carries himself like a star, he can talk and he is dynamite in the ring. He's a much better athlete than I was expecting. This guy is can't miss.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:50 pm

oh and how could I forget....

the quiet trainee that picked me and Sarah up at Dusseldorf airport in 2015, who will be one of the best wrestlers of the generation, the wrestler I'm putting my stamp of approval on harder than I did Ibushi, PAC, Zack or the Bucks......Francis Kaspin!

Francis will be everything. Mark my words.

But shhhhhh....... you're not allowed talk about him!!! We need him in Walter's learning tree nest for a few more years.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:14 pm

I'm going to second Cain Justice. He's been one of my favorite wrestlers this year, and I really think he has all the makings as a touring heel, especially in the southern indies. As far as I know he's still pretty tied to the hip with CWF-MA, but hopefully he will be touring soon. His style is really unique, which is a real key from making the jump from great wrestler to "star" wrestler. Alex Daniels is another great choice, but I'm not going to steal all of Alan4L's points.

To finally provide a unique take, I'll gas up Alex Daniels' opponent from Nova Pro's show last month, Rayo. Rayo is another really young guy, but he's been able to stretch his legs across a few promotions a little easier than other guys his age. His home base is MCW, where he always shines, even if they don't give him a lot to work with. Granted, this is the promotion that couldn't entirely figure out what to do with Lio Rush when he was their homegrown guy, so that shouldn't surprise anyone. He's fared better in CZW and Nova Pro, the two places I've seen him most and he even nabbed bookings in CWF and AWE over the past two years. He isn't exactly on a world class natural talent, but he works a fun soccer gimmick (that is not too cornball comedy at all) that gets him over easily with any crowd, and he has improved a lot even on a month to month basis. I tend to bet on guys like that to be stars sooner rather than later.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:29 pm

I remember watching a match with Cain Justice vs Dominic Garrini in CWF. It was an entertaining technical clinic. Both guys came across as a bit green, but got tremendous upside with their mat wrestling abilities. Both guys could become stars with more seasoning.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:43 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote:I remember watching a match with Cain Justice vs Dominic Garrini in CWF. It was an entertaining technical clinic. Both guys came across as a bit green, but got tremendous upside with their mat wrestling abilities. Both guys could become stars with more seasoning.
Yeah Garrini was good in that too but Justice jumped off the page with what a prick he was.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 pm

I don't if they are considered stars yet, but from seeing them up close this Sunday, the three guys I'd mention are Chris Dickinson, Jaka and David Starr.

I sortof avoided Dickinson initially because of some of the IG stuff he did, but he came across incredibly well in his match with Tracy Williams. He really felt like someone I could see going toe to toe with anyone up and down the roster.

Jaka has both the in ring chops and the personality to really flourish over the next year. Amazing to see where he is compared to his Chikara days.

My first exposure to Starr was his promo with Riddle and then his work at the Sixteen Carat. I was super excited to see him get the chance against Keith Lee on Sunday and he did not disappoint. Really hope he becomes an Evolve regular.

Oh, and I have no idea if we'll ever see him Statesside, but Ilja Dragunov can and should be a huge star both in WXW and internationally.

mrjoshdude

Post by mrjoshdude » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:53 pm

While I like the SPPT a lot as a unit, I think Travis Banks in particular is gonna be huge. All it'll take is one PWG or EVOLVE booking and he'll be everywhere after that.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:34 pm

Elgin hand picked Myron Reed from the GAIN seminar for the live event last month. Not even 20, or a year of in ring experience yet, and I was blown away with what he can do.