Next wave indie stars

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
thecubsfan

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Alan4L wrote: Last guy I'll mention is Alex Daniels. This guy has knocked my socks off the last two times I've seen him. He's doing the cutesy Ben Affleck stuff right now which is a fun creative gimmick to turn a few heads but he's going to grow out of that in the same way his trainer Johnny Gargano grew out of his scrunchie/Rugrats phase, and become a star. He looks like a star, carries himself like a star, he can talk and he is dynamite in the ring. He's a much better athlete than I was expecting. This guy is can't miss.
I went to AAW's in LaSalle and saw Alex Daniels have a good match there with Chuck Taylor. Also saw him on the November AIW show against Laredo Kid and he was very good there too. I agree with the sentiment - the Affleck stuff is a smart idea for and I'm interested to see him eventually expand past it.

Ace Perry is the other name I'd throw out; he was kept on the apron for most of the tag match this past weekend but did well when he was in, and looked like a super athlete in the match AAW match from January against Zachary Wentz. Perry seemed nervous in that one - he slips getting up to the apron, then slips again jumping into the ring - but they were both able to win over the crowd pretty well despite being new faces. I can't explain it, but Perry also just pops out as someone important among the many younger AAW wrestlers who've been getting chances in LaSalle.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:09 pm

TGD287 wrote:Elgin hand picked Myron Reed from the GAIN seminar for the live event last month. Not even 20, or a year of in ring experience yet, and I was blown away with what he can do.

That dude really impressed me at GloryPro and I'm excited to see what he can do in a singles match in a week and a half.
Alan4L wrote:Haven't seen him yet myself but I'm super excited to see Curt Stallion after everything I've heard
Speaking of GloryPro (again), Curt Stallion wrestled Shigehiro Irie on the first show and it was a lot of fun.

FilipPejic

Post by FilipPejic » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:27 pm

From the Canadian indies the two guys that are on the rise is Space Monkey and Kobe Durst. Durst is only 21 but is having great matches like the one he had with ACH at Alpha 1 and has been working with AIW, Alpha 1,C4,Freelance and Glory Pro. Space Monkey in my opinion has the potential to be the next Generico
Some Guy from Canada that you can follow on twitter @FilipPejic97

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:06 am

FilipPejic wrote:From the Canadian indies the two guys that are on the rise is Space Monkey and Kobe Durst. Durst is only 21 but is having great matches like the one he had with ACH at Alpha 1 and has been working with AIW, Alpha 1,C4,Freelance and Glory Pro. Space Monkey in my opinion has the potential to be the next Generico
Man, I love Space Monkey. One of the most underrated gimmicks in the indies & also a great wrestler.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:35 am

I want to throw Darby Allin into the mix. He's a name that I just started to see more of, obviously with his work in EVOLVE. I saw him at DEFY's last show and he was so damn good. I hope to see his name land on some more cards soon!

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:36 am

Ace Romero is our top local guy here in Maine with Limitless. Imagine a Brodus Clay oozing with charisma that routinely puts on 4 star matches.

Skylar has a ton of potential as well. Keep an eye out for her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:39 am

Joe, MJF works with us at limitless as well. Does some really good character work and facials. He's Alexa bliss-esuqe in that regard. I put him in the Ethan Page bucket of solid workers that WWE would love bc they aren't just star rating guys.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:29 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:Ace Romero is our top local guy here in Maine with Limitless. Imagine a Brodus Clay oozing with charisma that routinely puts on 4 star matches.

Skylar has a ton of potential as well. Keep an eye out for her.

I caught part of Ace's match with Chris Dickinson Sunday's Tier 1 show. From what I saw, looked impressive.

Alan4L

Post by Alan4L » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:47 pm

ScorpioCorp wrote:
FilipPejic wrote:From the Canadian indies the two guys that are on the rise is Space Monkey and Kobe Durst. Durst is only 21 but is having great matches like the one he had with ACH at Alpha 1 and has been working with AIW, Alpha 1,C4,Freelance and Glory Pro. Space Monkey in my opinion has the potential to be the next Generico
Man, I love Space Monkey. One of the most underrated gimmicks in the indies & also a great wrestler.
Wow, I'll admit - I assumed he was just a whacky comedy gimmick. Generico comparisons mean I'm putting him on my radar right now. Any match recommendations?

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:19 pm

mrjoshdude wrote:While I like the SPPT a lot as a unit, I think Travis Banks in particular is gonna be huge. All it'll take is one PWG or EVOLVE booking and he'll be everywhere after that.
While I agree they are a great unit, it's unfair to compare them besides that. Banks is 30, has been to Japan and trained with Davey Richards in the past. He's also wrestled full time in the UK for the past 18 months or so, working basically everywhere. He's the finished article.

TK and Dahlia are 23, haven't worked anywhere outside New Zealand/Australia before, and I believe both had regular jobs since moving to the UK, restricting how much actual wrestling they have been able to do. According to Cagematch TK worked only 11 matches outside Progress last year. They have tons of potential, but still need a lot of polish.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:18 pm

Alan4L wrote:Last guy I'll mention is Alex Daniels. This guy has knocked my socks off the last two times I've seen him. He's doing the cutesy Ben Affleck stuff right now which is a fun creative gimmick to turn a few heads but he's going to grow out of that in the same way his trainer Johnny Gargano grew out of his scrunchie/Rugrats phase, and become a star. He looks like a star, carries himself like a star, he can talk and he is dynamite in the ring. He's a much better athlete than I was expecting. This guy is can't miss.
Co-sign Alex Daniels. He's still got a ways to go until he's totally refined but within a few minutes you can see he's got IT and with a little work and some years, he's going to be a star. I'm sure of it. Great call on him.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:22 pm

MobbVanDam wrote:I think Paco Gonzales from STL (basically) is gonna pop off real serious. That dude came off like a STAR at the first GloryPro show. He really got the crowd behind him and seems to be working all over the midwest. I'd def check that GloryPro show out if you haven't seen it. Definitely has room for improvement but I think he's a great prospect.
Paco could become the "next" El Generico in time.

I dare you to find anyone on the indies better at taking a beatdown than Paco. He's so great in that role and (ethnic comparisons aside) he could eventually become a WWE Rey Mysterio type in terms of the underdog who always works from underneath and always has to scratch and claw to get every win. You also have the added bonus of him being so good at taking a beating that you get the Generico "stop it he's already dead!" type feels when someone beats him down but get the huge pops when he does pull through and get the win.

Not sure Paco will be a "star" but he's going to become a solid hand across the indies.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:47 pm

The first time I saw Paco wrestle, it was in a losing effort against two old white dudes dressed as luchadores in a barn in Tennessee. Because of that, he will forever get babyface sympathy from me.

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:05 pm

Okay so I think most wrestlers ON THE RISE have been mentioned but to sorta recap who is looking like safe bets:
-Alex Daniels: I think he's going to be that strong utility player in the future where he'll be plugged against everyone and won't look a lick out of place.
-Myron Reed: That's your next great high flyer. He already shows the promise. Getting Elgin's blessing will be a big coup to filling some slots he might not of.
-Dommie G: You want the next grapple fricker? This is the guy. Watched him against Martin Stone who is becoming more than just a Brit in the South have a great match in an Orlando garage. Just needs to slim down a tad or get real husky
-Ace Romero: How hasn't he broken out? Beyond books him but this is the guy who should be wrestling Elgin, Dickson, Williams, Fox, Rush, ect. Every big name should be thrown at him because he could be a stud for them. Limitless uses him well and that's probably the best place to watch him ply his craft at this time.
-Curt Stallion: He's gonna get talked up by others that are more LOCKED IN to the territory but he's gonna be a big deal. Stiff af and sells well.
-Jay Freddie: For better or worse he emulates Davey and Eddie. After his Japan tour you'll probably see even more of him in a place like Glory Pro.

The two guys you will want to watch in the next year to know who the next wave of indie stars are are Michael Elgin and Sami Callihan. These are two independent wrestling stars who have their own promotions now. You will find a lot of the guys Callihan sees as the "next guys" in the scramble matches (such as the tweet below) which tend to be the matches that leave the most buzz. Elgin has trainees that he's going to put into position to succeed. Glory Pro is FILLED with hungry young talent on shows anchored by good brothers and Elgin working another bigger name.

EDIT: CZW has Jimmy Lloyd who will be a cult sensation as long as he doesn't die. He's going to be an eventual ToD winner. An eventual COD headliner. He's their next guy. At least he should be.

Simularly, Dub Boyz are real good and hoping they smoothen out a bit. Then they can really make a splash.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Extra Talented (Ricky Starks & Aaron Solow) are all star indie ready and need to be booked everywhere. Aside from WrestleCircus, I dont see them in any of the higher profile indies. They've got a great act, especially as heels, and Starks was the star and clear standout of a tag gauntlet match in February for WC that also included GOD, Keith Lee, Davey Boy Smith Jr, and others.

Also they probably don't qualify as they are technically ROH wrestlers but The Boys are excellent workers and have excellent matches every time I see them get a chance outside of ROH. They work to their size and have more charisma than you would think.