Next wave indie stars

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Joe Lanza » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:14 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:
MobbVanDam wrote:
Not sure Paco will be a "star" but he's going to become a solid hand across the indies.
Rich missed the SOLID HAND twitter shit show when he was in Italy.

ScorpioCorp

Post by ScorpioCorp » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:23 pm

Just watched the most recent eposide of CWF. Chip Day is a guy I can see breaking out. The match that he had with Trevor Lee was next level stuff. He has also impressed me from the few matches I've seen of him with the likes of Cedric Alexander & Tommasso Ciampa.

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Thu Apr 27, 2017 11:53 pm

Feels like Ricky Stark has been touted as the "next big thing" since...2013? Sort of makes me wonder, how long can someone be touted as a major prospect before saying they are behind where they should be?

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:39 am

SammyJ_D wrote:Feels like Ricky Stark has been touted as the "next big thing" since...2013? Sort of makes me wonder, how long can someone be touted as a major prospect before saying they are behind where they should be?
Christopher Daniels was "the next big thing" for like a decade

Maybe when you turn 35 and start shaving your head to hide the receding hairline

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:42 am

Joe Lanza wrote:
dkookypunk43 wrote:I am thinking that new Gatekeeper (Nick Comoroto) that debuted at EVOLVE 83 can be a star because I have been seeing him for about 2 years at the Monster Factory facing guys like Riddle, Punisher Martinez and Mikey Webb. Speaking of another guy that can break out Mikey Webb is a star in my humble opinion. He's been busting his ass off and it will pay off. Another one I see being a star is Maxwell Jacob Feinstein.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
I've had people tell me that they think Maxwell Jacob Feinstein (doesn't he sometimes go as Einsberg?) is a sure fire star. Pat Buck has told people that he thinks he'll be the biggest star he every trained.

For 22 year old whose been at it for slightly over two years, he's pretty good in the ring and has good poise and charisma as well. He's facing Johnny Yuma for the CZW Wired title next month and I'd imagine there's a good chance he wins.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:00 am

Any buzzworthy northeast ladies?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

K. Hare

Post by K. Hare » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:08 am

Jimmy Lloyd. Unassuming, out of shape looking guy who will do flips and not care what he does to himself. Could at least be big in CZW/Northeast. Still has a lonnnnggggg way to go and isn't a sure bet, but if he connects I think he'll connect big.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:48 am

Lots of good picks in this thread already. I'm very high on Curt Stallion, Dominic Garrini, Alex Daniels, Paco, Cain Justice, Jimmy Lloyd, MJF, Ace Romero, Myron Reed, Space Monkey, Kobe Durst, et. I love that more people are getting into Chip Day after the Trevor Lee match, but that almost feels a cheat for me because I thought he was as good as any guy not in the top tier indies last year, and the year before, and the year before, et.

Guys not mentioned yet who I am very high on for one reason or another.

AJ Gray - hard worker, travels all over (this is really key to nearly all of these guys success and rapid development), can basically work every style from shtick heavy stuff to high flying to hoss battle. Green, but he wants it and he's making things happen for himself.

Cole Radrick - works a go, go spot heavy style, but he's learning to sell and he has a likability factor that you can't teach. Held his own with Calihan twice last year and feels like he gets a little better every time I see him.

Jason Cade - kind of a cheat like Chip in that he's been killing it for a while on 2nd tier shows but he's starting to break out. Really good high flyer, strong as both a babyface and a heel. Could easily see him as a top tier indie guy this time next year.

Stevie Fierce - really good pretty boy douchebag heel. He's already been to Japan, travels all over, has a good look, can work, and has delivered as a top talent in a hot indie (Freelance).

White Mike - Could potentially end up as the next Joey Ryanish cult comedy figure in wrestling. Already feels like a top guy in PWX going by reactions, gets over everywhere, has the most GIFable finish in wrestling, and doesn't run away from his niche.

Adrian Armour - crazy underrated guy out of Atlanta who had killed it every time he's been positioned against a top level guy whether or not it's David Starr, Dijak, et. Hard hitting, has good size, good babyface, great heel, strong body language selling. Should be getting booked all over.

Gunner Miller - great look, ready to travel out now after dominating Georgia for a year. Has improved a ton since going heel in most of the state. Probably the guy I most want to see travel new places this year.

Axton Ray - NWA SM guy and they have actually produced a couple of guys who have broken out. Charismatic, athletic guy who has really improved and is still very young. Has a look and style that would be marketable lots of places.

Ken Dixon - more of a longshot I guess, but I think the guy has presence and really just needs to find a good fit for himself on the promotional level. A case of a guy who's never had a match I thought was great but I always am interested in what he's doing if he's on the card.

Jacob Fatu - my favorite of the younger Caifornia indie guys. Think logical evolution of a Tonga Kid and that's Fatu as he has great pacing but can bust out crazy athletic highspots for a dude his size.

GPA - excellent in Freelance as the heir to Ali, just a great worker of the modern indie style who is really good at adapting to opponent and setting. If he keeps traveling out more he could be a huge player on the scene.

Owen Knight - I actually think if he had a better physique he'd be everywhere already. One of the unsung heroes of AWE, probably one of the most consistently strong effort guys in the entire South. Very good as a face and a heel.

Joey Lynch - great talent that got some big shots after last year's SCI that never really led to more than just one offs. Charismatic, has one of the best moonsaults in wrestling, dynamic, can hang with anyone at any level. If he wants it he can be a star in indie wrestling.

Odinson - incredible look, very underrated as a base, has gained confidence by being the ace of the wildly successful New South promotion. Seems like a guy who is basically one break on a major show away from being one of the next big things.

James Drake - he's been around, but if he goes all in on the New Age Enforcer deal he can play his look to his advantage. Excellent worker who routinely has the "surprise" match on big shows. Eventually the surprise isn't a surprise anymore.

Feels weird including The Ducklings, Carnies or Anthony Henry hear for some reason, but could easily see all 3 acts becoming consistent major indie players. All 3 feel like they are just on the cusp, especially Henry.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:52 am

Odinson is my type of dude. Big yoked up hoss. A bit of a throwback to Warlord/Barbarian type, but not as bound-up and immobile,

2Rasslin

Post by 2Rasslin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm

Haven't seen Barrett Brown/Americos mentioned yet. He's pretty small but a really good worker I see on almost all of the north Texas indies

SammyJ_D

Post by SammyJ_D » Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:24 pm

Jacob Fatu is about as good a shout as any and not one I had thought of. With PCW (Cali) on HSWN he will be a lot easier to keep tabs on in the future.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 pm

2Rasslin wrote:Haven't seen Barrett Brown/Americos mentioned yet. He's pretty small but a really good worker I see on almost all of the north Texas indies
He's been around for ages but started very young. I thought he looked good in EVOLVE and I'm disappointed he didn't stick.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:35 pm

Circling back to the OP, interesting the lack of women. The pool is quite shallow right now.

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:46 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:Circling back to the OP, interesting the lack of women. The pool is quite shallow right now.
Disagree with this somewhat. The top end has been hurt with NXT and TNA signing some of the more experienced workers, but as far as young talent goes it's fairly healthy.

Having had discussions with people about the WWE women's tournament I was somewhat surprised that it wasn't really difficult putting together a 32 woman field without having to pad with too many veterans.

dkookypunk43

Post by dkookypunk43 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:18 am

Mikey Webb is one where I have seen the development and is very smart about wrestling. He's really athletic and has a lot of charisma

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Listen to Meet The Press Slam coming soon