Next wave indie stars

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
User avatar
SammyJ_D
Posts: 596
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:31 pm
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by SammyJ_D » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:07 pm

Takachulo wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Circling back to the OP, interesting the lack of women. The pool is quite shallow right now.
Disagree with this somewhat. The top end has been hurt with NXT and TNA signing some of the more experienced workers, but as far as young talent goes it's fairly healthy.

Having had discussions with people about the WWE women's tournament I was somewhat surprised that it wasn't really difficult putting together a 32 woman field without having to pad with too many veterans.
So who is the next crop of women indie stars in that case?

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:22 pm

SammyJ_D wrote:
Takachulo wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:Circling back to the OP, interesting the lack of women. The pool is quite shallow right now.
Disagree with this somewhat. The top end has been hurt with NXT and TNA signing some of the more experienced workers, but as far as young talent goes it's fairly healthy.

Having had discussions with people about the WWE women's tournament I was somewhat surprised that it wasn't really difficult putting together a 32 woman field without having to pad with too many veterans.
So who is the next crop of women indie stars in that case?
Yeah, I mean this in the politest way possible, but name names.

I have a deep concern for not only the deep end of the female talent pool, but the top level as well. Especially after WWE skims again for the tournament. There hasn't been a single female talent named in this thread, even though I specifically asked for recs in the OP. Everyone posting here follows the indie scene pretty deep. That has to be concerning.

User avatar
Takachulo
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:26 pm

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Takachulo » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:45 pm

Depends what you consider next wave. A few names, some more well known than others:

Rachael Ellering
Kiera Hogan
Karen Q
Tasha Steelz
Britt Baker
Shotzi Blackheart
MJ Jenkins
Sonya Strong
Jordynne Grace
Samantha Heights
Delilah Doom
Kennadi Brink

User avatar
DETROIT_KEJB
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:47 am
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Is it even ok to not like women's wrestling in 2017?

User avatar
DETROIT_KEJB
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:47 am
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:50 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
MobbVanDam wrote:
Not sure Paco will be a "star" but he's going to become a solid hand across the indies.
Rich missed the SOLID HAND twitter shit show when he was in Italy.
Has anyone ever counted how many times Rich refers to a wrestler or match as "solid"?

User avatar
Joe Lanza
Site Admin
Posts: 2732
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Joe Lanza » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Takachulo wrote:Depends what you consider next wave. A few names, some more well known than others:

Rachael Ellering
Kiera Hogan
Karen Q
Tasha Steelz
Britt Baker
Shotzi Blackheart
MJ Jenkins
Sonya Strong
Jordynne Grace
Samantha Heights
Delilah Doom
Kennadi Brink
Never heard of some of these, good stuff.

Ellering I think is very much a known commodity. Same for Grace, who despite her age has seemingly been around forever.

I've been watching Doom for a number of years locally. She was pretty dreadful a few years back, and has improved greatly. She'll need a repackaging at some point, I never understood the 80's mall rat gimmick on someone covered in tattoos and piercings.

User avatar
DylanWaco
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by DylanWaco » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:39 pm

Ellering is a known commodity and a huge star already, but also very much a "new" act on the indies.

Samantha Heights is very good and Kennadi Brink is an outstanding heel.

Kiera Hogan has a ton of potential

User avatar
Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin
Posts: 2174
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:12 pm
Location: Wheaton, IL
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Mon May 01, 2017 2:47 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:
Rich Kraetsch wrote:
Rich missed the SOLID HAND twitter shit show when he was in Italy.
Has anyone ever counted how many times Rich refers to a wrestler or match as "solid"?
I bet it would be a solid amount of times.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by mlev76 » Mon May 01, 2017 3:27 pm

This whole thread is awesome from getting some well deserved names more recognition. I did some preliminary searches on Youtube and there is ample viewing material for each guy or woman, but anyone have any specific recommendations for their chosen stars match wise?

User avatar
Ferrante207
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am
Location: MAINE

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Ferrante207 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:29 pm

DETROIT_KEJB wrote:Is it even ok to not like women's wrestling in 2017?
I'm not into most non-joshi women's wrestling. What do you mean by "ok"? I'll watch if woman's matches are on a card I'm already watching, but I do not actively seek it out.

User avatar
DETROIT_KEJB
Posts: 603
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:47 am
Location: Wyandotte, MI
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by DETROIT_KEJB » Tue May 02, 2017 12:28 am

I absolutely do not like women's wrestling. No matter who it is. I feel like that's an opinion worthy of death in todays fan climate.

User avatar
MobbVanDam
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:36 pm
Location: MO/TN
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by MobbVanDam » Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 am

My girlfriend recently said the same thing. Other than the Io/Mayu draw from Stardom 12/2015, she's never seen anything she didn't think was subpar. "It's just not as good."

She's not a wrestling fan at all outside of live indie shows though.

User avatar
Ferrante207
Posts: 495
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:39 am
Location: MAINE

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:24 pm

MobbVanDam wrote:My girlfriend recently said the same thing. Other than the Io/Mayu draw from Stardom 12/2015, she's never seen anything she didn't think was subpar. "It's just not as good."

She's not a wrestling fan at all outside of live indie shows though.
Ah your gf is like Sean Sloan. Live indie wrestling only.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User avatar
InYourCase
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 378
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Location: Lanza's Dojo
Contact:

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by InYourCase » Thu May 04, 2017 5:10 pm

Ferrante207 wrote:
MobbVanDam wrote:My girlfriend recently said the same thing. Other than the Io/Mayu draw from Stardom 12/2015, she's never seen anything she didn't think was subpar. "It's just not as good."

She's not a wrestling fan at all outside of live indie shows though.
Ah your gf is like Sean Sloan. Live indie wrestling only.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big pop.

User avatar
BackLash
Posts: 371
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:39 am

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by BackLash » Sat May 06, 2017 1:34 pm

After watching NWA Smoky Mountain, I'm sold on Timmy Lou Retton. He isn't "too" heavy, but he's this big guy who is a high flyer without the high flyer body. Sure, the name is weird, but I find him entertaining.

I also wanted to agree with Mr. Waco with Axton Ray.

Post Reply