Next wave indie stars

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
MobbVanDam

Re: Next wave indie stars

Post by MobbVanDam » Wed May 31, 2017 4:47 pm

I wasn't really sold at first, but after three great Glory Pro shows, I'm totally sold on Myron Reed, Mat Fitchet, and Davey Vega. Reed's match with Fenix last Friday was a total banger and I wish I could see this Sunday's match against Curt Stallion at ROH. That is sure to be great. He's only 19 and has ridiculous potential. Kinda lacking in personality right now, but it'll come.

Fitchet and Vega are dudes that have been around for a while that I've never paid much attention to, but man, their Savage Garden entrance instantly grabs the room and their work totally holds the crowd. Fitchet already seems like a big indie star. He's got this shit.

Curt Stallion has really improved to me over the course of the three Glory Pro shows too. Maybe it was the benefit of working against Kyle O'Reilly, but it felt like he's just flat out getting better, and is definitely raising his profile.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed May 31, 2017 6:10 pm

Standouts from the last Nova Pro show I went to:

- Rayo

Mentioned earlier in the thread. Not sure what his ceiling is but I really liked him in Dojo Wars last year too. I still think he needs a coat of paint but I could see him being a big part of the new wave of more workrate-y type guys making up the new generation for CZW. He's pretty much on exactly Lio Rush's career path so far so that can't be a bad thing.

- Logan Easton Laroux

A 2.10 rating on Cagematch! Don't get much more maligned than that. He's great in Nova Pro though. His in-ring style is a lot more refined than it was in Chikara, and this role suits him a lot better. Guessing the big story of Nova Pro this year will be his rivalry with Arik Royal, which should produce some awesome stuff.

- Faye Jackson

Not sure what people have thought of her in ROH so far, but her gimmick/personality is money. The type of mega babyface that will get over anywhere in a few minutes.

Also Jordynne Grace was great on this show. She's been around forever (and will probably be a bit more divisive the more exposure she gets) but I'm really looking forward to her developing. She has a ton of raw talent and if she puts it all together, she will be the biggest women's wrestler of her generation.

Takachulo

Post by Takachulo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:43 pm

Want to add a few names to list of women I posted a while ago.

I've seen Aja Perera at the last Shine, and at Queens of Combat and she's really one to keep an eye on.

Also liked what I saw from Daysie Day (aka Daysia Danielle?) on the QoC show. She's a smaller Faye Jackson type, but a lot more athletic.

I saw Team Sea Stars in Chikara a good while ago, but they've improved a lot since then. The taller one in particular looked really good.

MobbVanDam

Post by MobbVanDam » Tue May 15, 2018 10:06 pm

No posts in this thread in almost a year, the scene has changed a little.

Since the last time this thread was posted in, I've seen AJ Gray a couple of times and that dude RULES.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 16, 2018 1:28 am

Landscape has be slashed and burned...

Perfect time for the entire market of Indie wrestling to make some new stars. They have no choice. Maybe they can stop recycling the same guys over and over again so nothing is special this time around.

Some of the big names right now have workrate ceilings (Janela, Gage, etc.)...I'd like to see some workhorses emerge. There is a power vacuum of top flight workers with NJPW and WWE eating up most of the top guys.

Shockingly, Evolve and ROH truly lack any juice to take advantage of this. Neither has planned for this for shit. Shameful.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:00 am

I think this weekend should be telling as a lot of the guys who've been mentioned here are getting shots on the Evolve weekend-Myron Reed, Stevie Fierce and the other Freelance guys.

A few others who need to get a bigger break:

Kobe Durst-Still rough around the edges but damn good for his age. He almost feels like he needs a confidence boost and he'll get there. His match with Ethan Page at BLP was just what he needs to push himself forward.

Kevin Lee Davidson-As hosses become all the rage, KLD should become more well known and get more big shots. Part of "No New Friends" which is an awesome team name.

Kylie Rae-Just won the Making Towns Classic this weekend and I couldn't think of anyone better. I never think anyone is a lock in anything, but if she's not in the MYC2, it would be a damn shame.

Shotzi Blackheart-I won't mention one of her other aliases since it's horrifying, but she's the real deal. Another MYC2 lock if there is any justice.

Ckkj14

Post by Ckkj14 » Wed May 16, 2018 2:36 pm

Chris Ridgeway is someone booked on the occasional Progress shows who I think could be very good.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Wed May 16, 2018 3:15 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:Some of the big names right now have workrate ceilings (Janela, Gage, etc.)...I'd like to see some workhorses emerge. There is a power vacuum of top flight workers with NJPW and WWE eating up most of the top guys.

Shockingly, Evolve and ROH truly lack any juice to take advantage of this. Neither has planned for this for shit. Shameful.
But Jonathan Gresham is on the ROH roster and they just don't use him.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Wed May 16, 2018 5:29 pm

Some local wrestlers I see a lot that I really hope to see "breakout", or at least get their name more widely known...

- Daniel Makabe
- Dante Smyth
- King Khash
- Artemis Spencer
- Kaden Talbain
- Pitfall Jones

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Wed May 16, 2018 10:39 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:Some of the big names right now have workrate ceilings (Janela, Gage, etc.)...I'd like to see some workhorses emerge. There is a power vacuum of top flight workers with NJPW and WWE eating up most of the top guys.

Eh...he's one dude and he's 5'3"...I'm not sure how you can use him outside of just being an underneath worker or a guy that gets your crowd hype in the opener.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Thu May 17, 2018 1:52 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:

Eh...he's one dude and he's 5'3"...I'm not sure how you can use him outside of just being an underneath worker or a guy that gets your crowd hype in the opener.
The same way Mysterio got over, by being the best wrestler on the planet.

I know look still matters in wrestling somewhat but if you have a best in the world level worker with a decent amount of charisma, you should be able to do something with him to get him over even if he looks like Swamp Thing.

I mean, it wasn't too long ago that people were saying Zack Sabre Jr would never get over on a big stage because he weighs as much as a 10 year old girl but look at him now.

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu May 17, 2018 9:16 pm

armsofsleep wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:

I know look still matters in wrestling somewhat but if you have a best in the world level worker with a decent amount of charisma, you should be able to do something with him to get him over even if he looks like Swamp Thing.

I mean, it wasn't too long ago that people were saying Zack Sabre Jr would never get over on a big stage because he weighs as much as a 10 year old girl but look at him now.
I don't think Greshem is anywhere near Planet Earth when it comes to best wrestler on this planet. I like him just fine...but we are talking a different league of performer with ZSJ or El Rey.

armsofsleep

Post by armsofsleep » Fri May 18, 2018 12:29 pm

BoxingRobes wrote:
armsofsleep wrote:
BoxingRobes wrote:

I don't think Greshem is anywhere near Planet Earth when it comes to best wrestler on this planet. I like him just fine...but we are talking a different league of performer with ZSJ or El Rey.
Yeah that's probably why we disagree. Comparing almost anyone to Rey is blasphemy but yeah I would take Gresham over ZSJ at the moment. If Gresham worked all over the world as a top guy against other top guys, I'm very very confident he would have a similar, if not clearly superior output of great matches.

Tim_dawg

Post by Tim_dawg » Sun May 27, 2018 4:22 am

https://www.fite.tv/video/cwfa-mar-27-s ... tch/2nllz/

Here is a match from Championship Wrestling From Arizona(apparently that's a thing) between "Big F'N Deal" Karl Fredricks and Styker Ngongeseke. Both are Reno area guys and students of Reno Scum. Both dudes have a ton of potential, both have a good amount of charisma. Fredericks in particular I think is gonna develop into a great worker, and a guy I personally want in PWG and think should have been booked in King of Indies. He and Jacob Fatu have had a few really good matches in APW over the last few months, and personally I am higher on Fredericks than Fatu(and I like Jacob a lot). Biggest problem is he needs a better moveset. Styker is a lot greener, but I like him too. The reason why I am posting this match is because they defeated Reno Scum last night in for the APW tag titles. Really excited to see them as a team, and hope they travel across California as a duo. The match I posted is fine, Styker botches a few times, but what I liked is the pace they worked, the execution of the moves I'm sure will improve.

avengers23

Post by avengers23 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:38 pm

I look at Beyond, NYWC, Nova Pro, and Limitless cards to find someone in the Northeast indies to find anyone who could be next up, and it's hard to find anyone.