All Elite Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
supersonic

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by supersonic » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm

AEW is choosing to not take away from the Mania, MSG, and possibly Shakeup buzz. Laying low until they have the buzz to themselves.

SuperplexlariatBW

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 am

supersonic wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm
AEW is choosing to not take away from the Mania, MSG, and possibly Shakeup buzz. Laying low until they have the buzz to themselves.
This shouldn't make any difference. You can still draw buzz if you have something news worthy to announce no matter what else is going on. Otherwise, you're just admitting that your promotion is not as big of a deal as has been hyped.

Another thing.

So he knows enough to say this, but still can't give other details like he would for other wrestling or MMA groups and their TV situations.

There's also been a lack of reports on people being hired on and off camera before they make any announcements. No updates on what their game plan is and no analysis on whether their business model can work or not. These are things not being mentioned that would always get discussed with past start ups.

Also, there really hasn't been any discussion of speculation about Dean Ambrose after WWE. You normally hear discussions like this when somebody of his level is leaving WWE, but it's been silent with him. Gee, I wonder why.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:39 pm

SuperplexlariatBW wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:23 am
supersonic wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:07 pm
This shouldn't make any difference. You can still draw buzz if you have something news worthy to announce no matter what else is going on. Otherwise, you're just admitting that your promotion is not as big of a deal as has been hyped.

Another thing.

So he knows enough to say this, but still can't give other details like he would for other wrestling or MMA groups and their TV situations.

There's also been a lack of reports on people being hired on and off camera before they make any announcements. No updates on what their game plan is and no analysis on whether their business model can work or not. These are things not being mentioned that would always get discussed with past start ups.

Also, there really hasn't been any discussion of speculation about Dean Ambrose after WWE. You normally hear discussions like this when somebody of his level is leaving WWE, but it's been silent with him. Gee, I wonder why.
1) I'm not convinced we won't see some AEW surprise Mania week. If I were to guess/bet, my money would be on the Wrestlecon supershow or Rev Pro.

2)It's interesting that you mention Dave's silence and vagueness this week of all weeks since the back issue of the Observer is all about this sort of thing with some of the startups post WCW/ECW and specifically the failure of WWA. You can look at it one of two ways (or both)-his experiences with this sort of reporting blew up in his face or he's being courteous to his friends.

3) There have been a few backstage announcements here and there, but nothing major. In terms of Ambrose, I'm not fully convinced his foot is completely out the door in WWE and maybe that's tempering the speculation

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:01 pm

I know wrestling has trained people to believe the opposite of what is said, but I tend to believe the Bucks are telling the truth when they're saying they won't be anywhere near New York that weekend. They clearly want the next time people see them in a match to be at Double or Nothing - that's why AAA had to keep their bit quiet at Rey de Reyes - and there's no sense in giving that up for a match that'll just be one of the hundreds that weekend.

If they were going to be around WrestleCon, it would make much more sense for them to be on the actual WrestleCon even more than matches. I'm sure they're getting paid a fair bit to wrestle, but those guys can make so much just showing up to sign things for a couple of hours. That's the real money they're passing up, and that's something that wouldn't work as well as a surprise.

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 am

This seems fairly significant, although not specifically to AEW

From FIGHTFUL

El Rey Network and Baba-G Productions which are the television company and network that host Lucha Underground were hit with multiple lawsuits including a class-action lawsuit filed by Lucha Underground talents El Hijo del Fantasma, Ivelisse, Joey Ryan and Kobra Moon. Lucha Central is reporting that the legal battle has come to an end as there was an agreement that Fantasma, Ivelisse, Kobra Moon and Joey Ryan be granted their immediate releases from Lucha Underground.

Ryan, Moon, Ivelisse and Fantasma are now free agents and as a part of the agreement between the talent, El Rey and Baba-G Productions, Fantasma's separate lawsuit that he initially filed with Texano Jr. has been dropped. Attorney Andre Verdun who represented the talent in the case had the following to say about the news:

“I’m honored to say that we received 100% of the relief that we were suing to obtain and four young talented wrestlers are no longer bound by an unfair contract that prohibits them from taking full advantage of their talents at the prime of their career,” said attorney Andre Verdun. “I wish them all the best of luck.”

Presumably, and at minimum, Joey Ryan's headed to AEW. They've teased it endlessly, he has the connections, he worked All In.

Ivelisse would probably be a welcome addition to their women's division too

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:01 am

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:01 am

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm

Super Smash Bros signed

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:01 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:38 pm
Super Smash Bros signed
Where in the fuck have they been?

Is he still Evil Uno? There are questions that need to be answered.

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:57 pm

Both Josh Alexander and the Super Smash Brothers getting out of US visa jail is a welcome development and maybe something that doesn't happen without the talent pool getting low making that sort of effort necessary.

I have to wonder if someone's working Speedball' case somewhere.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:43 pm

Can't imagine why he wouldn't be swooped up by someone unless he likes working outside the US better.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:55 pm

OptionZero

Post by OptionZero » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Just saw this as well.

Paying for, instead of getting paid for, TV time is a massive, dynamic changing piece of news.

AEW is shelling out contracts for alot of talent, all of which could be handwaved if there was "TV money" coming in
Meltzer himself reported multiple big money offers on the table from different big companies
This is a direct contradiction of that

Also of curious note is that Cima is apparently leaving OWE as he signs full time with AEW. The original plan was to partner WITH OWE, now its looking like more that Cima's gonna poach a bunch of talent and bounce. So much for making in-roads in China?

NOTE: confirmation is still needed on what the fuck exactly is going on on the TV side, so this is a "wait and see" situation

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Apr 18, 2019 11:43 pm

Unlike WCW and ROH, this ownership doesn't already have TV in its properties.

I also recall reading in Death of WCW that Vince actually paid to get his programming aired at the beginning of his expansion.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:21 am

Dave said on the board it's untrue. So, either there's two or three realities here-the pay for model, the rights fee model or something somewhere in between.