All Elite Wrestling (Discussion)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Post Reply
User avatar
supersonic
Posts: 3331
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 am
Location: Edgar Martinez Dr S
Contact:

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by supersonic » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:12 am


User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by mlev76 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:24 pm



Cody vs. Dustin

User avatar
OptionZero
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:14 pm

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by OptionZero » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:23 am

This was extremely well done. Double or Nothing's story telling really shows how compelling pro wrestling can be when done with focus on characters, handling their backstories with care and building up feuds to feel real.

I dont have high expectations for the match in-ring, but i want to see it

User avatar
SuperplexlariatBW
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 pm

The Dustin promo may have been good, but I don't care for this match at all. Was anybody clamoring for Cody v. Dustin? Pushing Dusitn in this spot and hyping they've signed 2019 Jim Ross to the biggest announcer contract ever gives Dixe Carter owned TNA vibes, rather than being something cool and fresh like they think they are.

You have all these active wrestlers being put in power positions in AEW and they're hiring their all friends and family members.

Between these moves and the company and their friends pushing everybody to leave WWE, AEW feels the same as any other promotion that has wanted to be competition in the last 30 years. Just another place that will rely on names from the past and getting people from WWE, with the same style politicking,

This match comes off like one reason for AEW existing is so Cody can do all the things he wanted to to do in WWE that he wasn't allowed to do. This is a Jeff Jarrett style move.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 pm

SuperplexlariatBW wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 pm
The Dustin promo may have been good, but I don't care for this match at all. Was anybody clamoring for Cody v. Dustin? Pushing Dusitn in this spot and hyping they've signed 2019 Jim Ross to the biggest announcer contract ever gives Dixe Carter owned TNA vibes, rather than being something cool and fresh like they think they are.

You have all these active wrestlers being put in power positions in AEW and they're hiring their all friends and family members.

Between these moves and the company and their friends pushing everybody to leave WWE, AEW feels the same as any other promotion that has wanted to be competition in the last 30 years. Just another place that will rely on names from the past and getting people from WWE, with the same style politicking,

This match comes off like one reason for AEW existing is so Cody can do all the things he wanted to to do in WWE that he wasn't allowed to do. This is a Jeff Jarrett style move.
I'd say let them put on a show before damning them as just the same. You might be right and I'm not so gung ho on this match either (Cody could have faced someone on the come up and given them exposure), but the show overall looks pretty good.

User avatar
SuperplexlariatBW
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:12 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:40 pm
SuperplexlariatBW wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:25 pm
The Dustin promo may have been good, but I don't care for this match at all. Was anybody clamoring for Cody v. Dustin? Pushing Dusitn in this spot and hyping they've signed 2019 Jim Ross to the biggest announcer contract ever gives Dixe Carter owned TNA vibes, rather than being something cool and fresh like they think they are.

You have all these active wrestlers being put in power positions in AEW and they're hiring their all friends and family members.

Between these moves and the company and their friends pushing everybody to leave WWE, AEW feels the same as any other promotion that has wanted to be competition in the last 30 years. Just another place that will rely on names from the past and getting people from WWE, with the same style politicking,

This match comes off like one reason for AEW existing is so Cody can do all the things he wanted to to do in WWE that he wasn't allowed to do. This is a Jeff Jarrett style move.
I'd say let them put on a show before damning them as just the same. You might be right and I'm not so gung ho on this match either (Cody could have faced someone on the come up and given them exposure), but the show overall looks pretty good.
I don't think the actual match or overall show quality will be bad at all. I'm just saying fans and people with jobs in wrestling think AEW will be nothing but perfection on and off camera, yet they're making these early moves that are no different than WCW or TNA. This is the thing that makes me think AEW is a vanity project.
Last edited by SuperplexlariatBW on Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kirk D
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:05 pm

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by Kirk D » Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm

The JR and the Dustin signing can be seen like that. On the other hand, they put a lot of guys on the roster that are completely unexpected.

User avatar
SuperplexlariatBW
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:39 pm

Kirk D wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 8:20 pm
The JR and the Dustin signing can be seen like that. On the other hand, they put a lot of guys on the roster that are completely unexpected.
They put of these unexpected people on their roster, but let's where there pushes go once more names from WWE come in. All these people in WWE who are whining about how they're being utilized are not going to leave WWE so they can join another promotion and play a bottom level role.

One of two things is going to happen. WWE names are either going to take spots away from other wrestlers or they're going to be stuck at the same level as they are in right now with WWE. If it's the latter then these people from WWE will once again be complaining about how they're being used. This is going to cause backstage issues one way or another. There's not enough room for everybody.

User avatar
supersonic
Posts: 3331
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:12 am
Location: Edgar Martinez Dr S
Contact:

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by supersonic » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:01 am

That’s the wrestling business 101. I’m open minded about those in power realizing which whiners have validity.

There’s also ROH to make a comfy living, a roster that can be badly use some depth. For those who can’t make it, retirement is also an option to seek income elsewhere.

User avatar
SuperplexlariatBW
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:58 am

supersonic wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:01 am
That’s the wrestling business 101. I’m open minded about those in power realizing which whiners have validity.

There’s also ROH to make a comfy living, a roster that can be badly use some depth. For those who can’t make it, retirement is also an option to seek income elsewhere.
I don't think ROH or consideration of retirement has anything to do with what's going on. There wasn't really anything in the past two years with people asking for releases. Maybe one or two guys and that's it. Nothing with people not renewing contracts or complaining on social media either. This all 'coincidently" started once AEW was announced. Like they think it's this promise land where they will never underutilize anybody and there will never be any problems.

Like I said, there's not enough spots for anybody. This can turn into a political minefield if they're not careful.

User avatar
thecubsfan
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 am

I've pointed out on Twitter that it would be foolish to assume AEW is going to be a longer version of Being The Elite (or even "the Road to" series) and we shouldn't be too concerned AEW will resemble the least palatable parts of those YouTube shows until we actually see an AEW show.

I will weaselly admit here that the original VOW point is correct: those Librarian segments have become brutal. They reached "must skip" status for me during the unending Cody/Kenny conversation. There's always about 20% of BTE that is definitely "Not For Me" but then I don't know that I'm in the demographic anyway.

I wonder how AEW is going to affect BTE, rather than the other way. It should be a help at first - there are bits that have dragged out forever (Page, Joey Ryan, SCU) seemingly because they haven't had the wrestling show to resolve them. Monthly shows should move that along as well as put the cast all in one place more often. But once TV starts, are they going to have time to produce a two hour TV show and then spend more time figuring out their webseries? I think the end point here might not be "AEW as a two hour BTE" but actually eventually "BTE as a AEW highlights with maybe a skit."

User avatar
BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member
Posts: 1502
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2015 1:02 pm

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by BoxingRobes » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:06 am

thecubsfan wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:53 am
I've pointed out on Twitter that it would be foolish to assume AEW is going to be a longer version of Being The Elite (or even "the Road to" series) and we shouldn't be too concerned AEW will resemble the least palatable parts of those YouTube shows until we actually see an AEW show.

I will weaselly admit here that the original VOW point is correct: those Librarian segments have become brutal. They reached "must skip" status for me during the unending Cody/Kenny conversation. There's always about 20% of BTE that is definitely "Not For Me" but then I don't know that I'm in the demographic anyway.

I wonder how AEW is going to affect BTE, rather than the other way. It should be a help at first - there are bits that have dragged out forever (Page, Joey Ryan, SCU) seemingly because they haven't had the wrestling show to resolve them. Monthly shows should move that along as well as put the cast all in one place more often. But once TV starts, are they going to have time to produce a two hour TV show and then spend more time figuring out their webseries? I think the end point here might not be "AEW as a two hour BTE" but actually eventually "BTE as a AEW highlights with maybe a skit."
Would love to see a company do a better job of integrating their properties. Would like to see BTE be just another episode in the AEW weekly storytelling. A supplement and sales job. Introduce new talent, begin some storylines, progress some storylines, set up future matches, promote the upcoming show(s) while still giving you a glimpse of realness.

The WWE has so many properties on numerous platforms but are so loosely affiliated, it makes no sense. NXT to Main Roster synergy being the most obvious, but even their webseries are all along the spectrum ... kayfabe, highlights, promos, behind the scenes, human interest stories, the talents own interests (think Brave Change, UUDD, Z THS, etc), things like WWE24...and I find that they all do a poor job of keeping synergy...partly because they try way too hard in 2019 to present these talents as something they really aren't. They want them to be different shades of their character and different shades of their IRL self over so much different platforms...it makes for a very confusing dynamic. The whole "I play a bad guy on TV" social media gimmick doesnt work. And low key, especially for a company that targets children, trying to figure out who to like and dislike and who to react to on TV would be pretty confusing.

Like...you want me to boo Daniel Bryan...but he's a genuinely great dude who is awesome at wrestling and I want to cheer him...but because I support him, he is doing a great job at this and wants me to boo him, I'm going to boo him. Its not real heat. The same for Kevin Owens. His internet and mostly IRL self is a great father, husband, dude, and lover of zoos...but he does a great job in his role, and wants me to boo him, so I'm going to boo him. Audibly, its the same I guess, but the heat isn't there, to me. I guess, I feel these people have too many faces, and its tough for me to give their true desired reaction. Its especially harder to make heels, IMO. Like...would you boo the fuck out of Jake Roberts in 1988 if you knew what you know now?

I'm drifting away from my point, but I'd love to see BTE be integrated into storyline. Its the established property. I wouldn't alter it much.

User avatar
SuperplexlariatBW
Posts: 102
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 am

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by SuperplexlariatBW » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:15 pm

What are they even doing booking a pre-show battle royal? I know people will spin this and claom they're coming up with ways to make it seem important, but they should avoid booking a match like this for a big show when they want people to think they're different. The perception of battle royals, especially on a pre-show, is that it's a gimmick you come up with when you can't come up with anything good for wrestlers and you think you'll appease them by sticking them into any spot on a card.

User avatar
thecubsfan
Posts: 357
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:29 pm

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by thecubsfan » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:40 pm

The perception on battle royals is definitely that it's an idea that you do with people you have no idea for - they leaned into that with Chuck & Trent on Being the Elite this week - but the perception of the All In Battle Royal is that it was the best version of that and so they just have to do it again. I can kind of see the idea of wanting include a lot of people who will be part of AEW but don't have a big role on this show, but I'd also be fine missing it.

To me, kinda weird they're going to be running this show in about 3.5 weeks and there's no announcement of how anyone is going to be able to watch it. Maybe it is tied in with the TV deal (Bleacher Report Live) and one can't be announced without the other. Maybe it is just on Fite like usual. Seems like this should be announced soon if not already.

User avatar
mlev76
Posts: 2576
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:32 pm
Location: New York, New York
Contact:

Re: Official All Elite Wrestling (AEW) Thread

Post by mlev76 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:54 pm


Post Reply