Evolve (WWNLive)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
JFC3400

Re: Evolve (WWNLive)

Post by JFC3400 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:43 am

rovert wrote:I don't get the "how it would work" talk. At worst NXT talent go 50/50 with non-contracted talent and at times non-contracted talent has gone over contracted talent.
It's the same as the "ROH guys always job to the NJPW guys" narrative. The top NXT (& NJPW) stars usually win & that's what people remember, but the overall W/L % is actually pretty close.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:21 am

Hate to be that guy, but Callihan replacing Thatcher sounds like a huge positive to me...

Actually very excited for the shows this weekend. Lots of Hero, presumably, which makes me excited. The Style Battle seems like a total blast, also.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:52 pm

Confused with the Flipps price in comparison to buying the shows off WWNLive - according to the press release, it's meant to be $39.99 for all three shows with 90 day VOD rights on Flipps, but I looked earlier, and it seemed to be the same price as WWNLive Live+VOD, maybe even a bit more. Haven't seen if they changed it today - bet on WWNLive they've done the usual gimmick of putting the price up $5 on the day of the show.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:17 pm

The two Style Battle matches tonight are Fred Yehi vs. Tracy Williams and Matt Riddle vs. Peter Kaasa.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:46 am

The Fray Movement wrote:Hero/End vs Sami/ZSJ was a ***** match tonight, brothers. Order the VOD as soon as it goes up.
Agreed! Everyone needs to see this match as soon as it becomes available! It was amazing!

mancraig

Post by mancraig » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Really enjoyed the show last night, star ratings are below:

~ EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament First Round Match: The Bravados vs. The Premiere Athlete Brand [***1/2]
~ Jason Cade defeated Joe Coleman [*½]
~ Style Battle Round Robin Tournament Match: Matt Riddle vs. Peter Kaasa [**]
~ PJ Black vs. Ethan Page [**]
~ EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament First Round Match: Roppongi Vice vs. Team Tremendous [***1/2]
~ Style Battle Round Robin Tournament Match: Tracy Williams vs. Fred Yehi [***½]
~ EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament First Round Match: Chris Hero and Tommy End vs. Zack Sabre Jr and Sami Callihan [****1/4]
~ EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament First Round Match: Drew Galloway & Johnny Gargano vs. Drew Gulak & TJ Perkins [***]

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:41 am

Guess who's backstage tonight:

mancraig

Post by mancraig » Sun Jan 24, 2016 4:56 am

Ratings for tonight's show below. I enjoyed last night's more, but this was a solid effort.

– 2nd Chance Tag Team Tournament First Round Match: Team Tremendous vs. The Premiere Athlete Brand [***½]
– Style Battle Round Robin Tournament Match: Matt Riddle vs. Fred Yehi [**]
– Tomasso Ciampa vs. Ethan Page [**½]
– 2nd Chance Tag Team Tournament First Round Match: Catchpoint vs. Sami Callihan & Zack Sabre Jr. [***½]
– Style Battle Round Robin Tournament Match: Tracy Williams vs. Peter Kaasa [**½]
– EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament Semifinal Match: Drew Galloway & Johnny Gargano vs. The Bravado Brothers [***½]
– EVOLVE Tag Team Title Tournament Semifinal Match: Tommy End and Chris Hero vs. Roppongi Vice [***3/4]

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Sun Jan 24, 2016 10:26 am

Levesk checking on his other indie.

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm

Heard really good things about Riddle/Williams from yesterday's show.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Mon Jan 25, 2016 3:30 pm

Everyone order these shows if you haven't already. All VODs should be up. Nothing was *bad* per say on any of the three shows aside from maybe one Tracy Williams match.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:55 pm

Catching up on some of the EVOLVE shows I didn't have the time to seek out in 2015. On the 51 and 52 weekend, which Gargano performance did people think was stronger, I'm leaning towards the Gulak match.

maggot

Post by maggot » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:27 am

What are the general criticisms of Gargano as a worker? I'm a big fan of selling, so Evolve 51/52 was a dream come true for me. Gargano's selling over both nights was quite frankly astounding.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:25 pm

I don't think the Gulak match was better necessarily, I just came away super impressed by how good Gargano was in that match carrying over the armwork from the previous night. The Thatcher match is amazing and if I had watched that in 2015 it would've finished in my top 10 matches of the year easily, both guys were phenomenal, especially Thatcher.

That leads me to something I wanted to say. I watched a shit load of Thatcher yesterday. His Roderick Strong matches, the Hero matches, all his title defenses, etc and I know a lot gets made of his technical prowess but I also came away thinking this man was the best seller in wrestling. He does it unlike anyone going right now. For one he is super consistent and compelling with his limb selling which is something so many wrestlers get knocked for. Can't think of a match where Thatcher disregarded the limb that got worked over. Two is his facial selling. The dude makes everything look like a gritty, constant struggle. Three is how he sells being knocked out. He doesn't do the over the top bumping for moves that you'll see a lot of wrestlers do, he sells it like he immediately got knocked the fuck out. His body just collapses to the mat and it's like dead weight when the person is trying to roll him over for a pin. I thought he had a great year last year and would've easily been in my top 5 most outstanding but that rewatch makes me think of putting him even higher.
Last edited by Quentin Moody on Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wac

Post by wac » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:10 pm

Yeah, Thatcher's style isn't really my favorite, but I appreciate anyone who's mastered their own particular style to that degree, and his facials are as good as anyone in the world right now.