Evolve (WWNLive)

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mancraig

Re: Evolve 2015

Post by mancraig » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:14 pm

Evolve 46 was a decent but odd show as there were only 4 matches. I didn't see Evolve 45, but juding by all of the reviews that seems to be the show to pick over the two.

My star ratings are below:

Trevor Lee vs. Anthony Neese - **1/2
Zack Sabre Jr. vs. TJ Perkins ***3/4
Drew Galloway vs. Trent Baretta - ***1/4
Chris Hero vs. Timothy Thatcher - ***1/2

I would say that the Perkins/Sabre Jr. match was the best on the show, but it never seemed to get out of second gear. They were killing it with some slick mat work that you would expect from these guys, but then the finish just kind of came out of nowhere without exchanging any big moves down the stretch.

The main event was a good, but not great match. I had their match over wrestlemania weekend at ****, so this was not on that level. Very slow, but a solid first title defense for Thatcher.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 pm

I did the Pro Wrestling Ponderings review and obviously thought 45 was a very good show (aside from not liking Trent/Swann).

I'd be interested in what people who don't like Thatcher's style made of the Drew match, since it really wasn't as much of the mat stuff (which I'm okay with but not as ardent of a fan of as some) and maybe 70-80% a brawl.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:15 am

I thought Evolve 45 was a great show. Roderick Strong & Zack Sabre Jr. had their second instant classic of 2015. Both in their matches (on this show and their PWG World Title Match from Don't Sweat The Technique) should be in everyone's Top 10 Matches of the Year, without question. Hero vs. Trevor Lee was the best of their three matches thus far in Evolve & PWG (they keep getting better with each match). The Premiere Athlete Brand wasn't annoying and all of their matches were good. The title change may have come a bit early (I felt like they were going to put the Evolve Title on Thatcher eventually), but given they were backed into a corner with injuries to Busick & Richards, it was understandable.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:06 am

Can I ask you DXvsNWO, how much Sabre Jr have you watched before his recent foray onto the US indies?

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Robareid wrote:Can I ask you DXvsNWO, how much Sabre Jr have you watched before his recent foray onto the US indies?
The only matches I recall watching prior to his recent run in the US were his RPW match with Nakamura & his PROGRESS Match with Devitt/Balor, though I had heard a number of people sing his praises long beforehand, so I knew going into BOLA last year that he was really, really good. I'm a little confused though, what are you trying to ask? If it's regarding my comments on the Strong/ZSJ matches, I certainly wasn't the first person to praise their matches (many people before me have already done so).

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:42 pm

No, a lot of people have praised his US matches. However, in general from what I've seen he's got far more praise from people who ZSJ is new too, particularly for those Roddy matches, rather than people who were familiar with him from before his recent US tours (either from his NOAH stuff, or his European work). I'm not saying that he hasn't been great in PWG and EVOLVE, he has, I've really enjoyed his work, but I think perhaps those more familiar with his work aren't quite as high on the Roddy matches (e.g. top ten matches of the year as you said) perhaps because the style he works isn't as exciting and new as it is to many of the people seeing him for the first time this year.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:06 pm

I've seen plenty of Sabre's non PWG and EVOLVE stuff. I like him, he's generally a great wrestler, but for the most part his work in PWG/EVOLVE has been far better than his European and Japanese work. A lot of that comes down to him maturing as a worker and his mat work not having as much of a pure exhibition feel to it. I still feel he's prone to tossing out cool shit just because, and that is annoying, but in the US he seems to hold back on doing that more than when he's in other places. No idea why that is, but it definitely helps him.

Robareid
VOW Staff Member

Post by Robareid » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:18 pm

I'm not even saying he's not putting out his best stuff in the US, I think he probably is. What I'm saying is that in general those less familiar with him are enjoying his US work more than those who have seen more of his other stuff.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:12 am

So here are some more notes on the upcoming shows in August:

- The Main Event of Evolve 48 will be Evolve & Open The Freedom Gate Champion Timothy Thatcher vs. Biff Busick, in what is being billed as the final encounter between the two of them in WWN.

- Talents also signed to appear on these shows are Trent Baretta, Rich Swann, The Premiere Athlete Brand, Drew Gulak, Tracy Williams, "Speedball" Mike Bailey & Rey Horus.

- Just a reminder, already announced for Evolve 47 is Thatcher vs. Zack Sabre Jr. (which I believe is for the Evolve Title) & Johnny Gargano vs. Ethan Page in an Anything Goes Match, while Chris Hero vs. Zack Sabre Jr. has been announced for Evolve 48.

InYourCase
VOW Staff Member

Post by InYourCase » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:10 am

Hoping Gabester throws us a bone and gives up Horus vs. Speedball. That would be nothing short of excellent.

cbacon87

Post by cbacon87 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:57 pm

Thought they did a nice job of building up tension between Hero and Zack Sabre over the weekend, for what it's worth. Hero basically being gotten to over Sabre. Hope their match isn't a one and done deal and they actually do something going forward, but if it's just to build to 48, at least they added a little extra juice to it which I appreciated.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:35 am

Seems like Drew Galloway is done with Evolve (for the time being).

slackermillionaire

Post by slackermillionaire » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:53 am

Really sorry to see Galloway leaving Evolve, I think he was a great fit as the company's ace. I was hoping that with whatever agreement WWN has with WWE could havelead to Drew appearing back on NXT and the WWE rehiring him once/if TNA finally shut down.

Has there been any update on the WWE and WWN relationship? I was hoping for an outside chance that maybe one or two WWN talents might appear at the NXT show in Brooklyn but that does not seem like it is happening.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:34 pm

slackermillionaire wrote:Has there been any update on the WWE and WWN relationship? I was hoping for an outside chance that maybe one or two WWN talents might appear at the NXT show in Brooklyn but that does not seem like it is happening.
I find it funny how the story was HUGE when it first began circulating, and now it's pretty much fallen off the face of the Earth.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:04 pm

The Fray Movement wrote:Lots of feuds being blown off during the August shows, brothers ....
This is true. Busick vs. Thatcher for the last time, as well as Gargano vs. Ethan Page in an Anything Goes Match.