Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
themib

Re: Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

Post by themib » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:48 pm

Interesting, given the theme of the show is SMASH vs. CZW, that they've booked Courtney Rush vs. Kimber Lee - the same Kimber Lee who was sent packing from CZW last year. Maybe they mean CZW and WSU...

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:49 am

dancecab wrote:I'm not super excited tbh. I find CZW complete garbage despite having a few workers I actually like in other promotions (AR Fox, Callihan, Team Tremendous, I don't even dislike Gulak anymore). I'm just very curious how they handle this and how 'ultraviolent' things will get. I don't think it'll get tooo ultraviolent considering it's a family friendly environment which i'm completely fine with. Speaking of Gulak it shall be interesting to see if he's team CZW or Team Smash.
I think as long as the guys who represent CZW are the better workers, as opposed to the hardcore wrestlers, the show should be fine. So far, we have five matches (just added were TARIK vs. Drew Gulak & Scotty O'Shea vs. DJ Hyde), and out of those five, the only one I have a serious issue with is DJ Hyde. I have no use for DJ Hyde on this show. The only other minor complaint I have is that the Super Smash Brothers should be facing either Team Tremendous or The Beaver Boys, but Pepper Parks & Mike Rollins are good wrestlers, so the match should be fine.
themib wrote:Interesting, given the theme of the show is SMASH vs. CZW, that they've booked Courtney Rush vs. Kimber Lee - the same Kimber Lee who was sent packing from CZW last year. Maybe they mean CZW and WSU...
Well DJ Hyde owns WSU, so I guess that's what it is. Also, despite Kimber Lee no longer being in CZW, she still works for WSU, and is even one-half of their tag team champions, which is weird since both companies are owned by the same person.

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 25, 2015 1:46 pm

Drew Gulak vs. Tyson Dux free for Christmas!

themib

Post by themib » Fri Dec 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Another free match on Christmas Day from Smash - Courtney Rush, Portia Perez, Vanessa Kraven, Xandra Bale & Jewells Malone vs. Cherry Bomb, Candice LeRae, Veda Scott, Jennifer Blake and La Felina Azul in an elimination match.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:44 pm

I just finished watching Smash Vs. CZW last night and it was a fun show all things considered. I unfortunately could not attend the show so I had to watch it on VOD. I'll post a review of sorts sometime today after work. But the thing I can't seem to shake is how good Lio Rush and Jonanthan Gresham were. I'll be honest I haven't watched ROH alot since Final Battle and have caught only the last 3 episodes but these two dudes made me interested in seeing WAAAY MORE of them. Especially Rush. I really hope to see more of them within Smash and ROH. I was pretty meh to the concept of the show but ended up enjoying it a lot.

Also F8ful Eight Card so far:
Johnny Gargano Vs. Mike Bailey - Smash Championship
Frankie the Mobster Vs. Candice LaRae

Tag Team Tournament:
American Wolves
Super Smash Brothers
Well Oiled Machines - Pepper Parks & Mike Rollins
Overdogs
Fraternity
Tabernak De Team - Best tag team name ever.
Tyson Dux & Tornado - No idea who Tornado is
Team Rockstar Pro - Ron Mantis & Jake Crist

I wonder where the Goat Brigade have been. I would have expected them in the tournament when they announced the concept.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:51 pm

Looks like SMASH Wrestling is doing another cross-promotional show:

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Since Davey is out.

I never got around to posting that review...opps. Quick thoughts on each match.

Tarik Vs. Gulak - started out fun but quickly did nothing for me. I found myself mentally checking out of the match. I found Gulak way more engaging live then I do on tape. Ultimately the match went WAAAAY too long for me. **

Overdogs Vs. Dub Boys - SCARY moment in this match where it looked like John Green nearly killed one of the Dub Boys (don't know their actual names). The match really lost me at that point and just felt like a bunch of moves. **

Courtney Rush Vs. Kimber Lee - This was very good short match. I wish it was a little longer as I'm currently loving this feud. IT's the most interesting thing within the promotion. Both girls worked really hard here but I can't help but wanting a little more from this match. I really like Courtney Rush and always look forward to seeing more of her. ***

Scotty O'Shae Vs. DJ Hyde - Fun hardcore match. Had me into it despite lack of story. If this had some real feud behind it I would be more into this thou. Part of me wishes the Matt Cross Vs. Tarik was worked like this. The I Quit match back at Rival Schools felt lacking in comparison to what these two brought here. Alas this was really fun and they had some fun spots. I originally overrated this with 4 stars but now that I've had time removed it's more of a ***1/2

Lio Rush Vs. Kevin Bennet - This was a very fun match. Lio Rush is really really scary good. I can not wait to see where he will be in the coming year especially working with ROH. He's someone I have very high hopes for and hope he returns to Smash at some point. I really really enjoyed this. Really fun fast paced match up. Wish they got more time. ***1/4

Jonathan Gresham Vs. Tyson Dux - This was a very well worked technical match. I enjoyed the limb work on this. My only issue is I don't really connect with Tyson Dux. He's a very very good wrestler, probably the strongest Canadian talent on the card from pure in ring stand point, but I find him a bit dry personality wise. I want to like his stuff more but I just can't get into him. Jonathan Gresham I did enjoy alot here. ***1/2

Super Smash Banks Vs. TV Ready Machines - I enjoyed this 6 man tag. I thought it was alot of fun. The story of Banks and SSB being uncooperative partners worked perfectly. Banks has alot of potential in my opinion to really do well in the indys. He's personally my favorite Canadian wrestler on the Smash roster and more times then not I find myself really enjoying his matches. ***1/4

Johnny Gargano Vs. Sami Callihan - I was really enjoying this up until the finish. Even the comedy spot at the beginning I didn't hate because Sami is just that out of control type of guy. Once things really got going though this was heads and shoulders above everything else on the night. You can see just how good these two are. The ending knocks this down a quarter star though. Not that the ending was bad because in terms of the storyline currently progressing with 4th Gunn it works. IT just ultimately didn't give the match the finish sequence it deserved. ***3/4

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:12 pm

Full Card:
Tag Tournament First Round
Super Smash Bros Vs. Team Rockstar Pro
The Overdogs Vs. Hero & Edwards
The Fraternity VS. Well Oiled Machines
TNT Vs. Tabernack de Team

Smash Championship
Johnny Gargano Vs. Mike Bailey

Candice LaRae Vs. Franky the Mobster

Semi's and Final also on the show.

I think the only teams I see winning are Super Smash, Overdogs and TNT. I have a feeling TNT is going to be something permanent for Tyson. Tyson currently doesn't have anything going on so I could see this tournament is used to get them over. Especially since Tyson's partner is an unknown. Super Smash Bro's are the biggest team in Smash and have been on a won four of their last five matches within the promotion, only using a triple threat tag match where Gulak took the fall. Overdogs is the last option I see since they are more permanent fixture on the roster and have the best win-loss record out of all teams. Although now that I say that it could be used as a big thing for them too loose to establish a new team.

As for the other teams. Tabernack de Team have lost all matches in Smash up to this point and come off as enhancement talent. I freaking love them though, second favorite team in the tournament after Hero & Edwards. Faternity are a young team given first chance on the main roster and have traded wins with Overdogs. I could see their rubber match occurring in the 2nd round but I don't see them winning as they are still young. I doubt Edwards and Hero will wrestle more then once on the show. Well Oiled Machines have only beaten enhancement talent up until this point. Team Rockstar Pro just seems kinda like thrown together outsiders. Possibly because they don't want Fourth Gunn loosing.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:38 pm

Highly recommend Mike Bailey vs. Johnny Gargano from last night. Really really good match. It's just a shame that although Smash is getting larger and larger crowds. They just don't seem to be very vocal. It's kinda annoying since the work really hard in ring and barely pop. Overdogs vs. Edwards and Hero was really good as well. Despite my dislike for intergender Frankie the Mobster vs. Candice Larea was really enjoyable as well. Also Tabernack de Team I think is the best canadian indy tag team other then Super Smash Bros. Not only is there name hilarious but they are really really good in ring.

Also announced for the Any Given Sunday 4 is Cherry Bomb vs. Courtney Rush which should be good, Tarik vs. Some guy in a band I've never heard of but has run angles with Smash and Bull Dempsey will be on the show. They have some other cool matches coming up on some university tours that'll be coming to tape in the coming months.

dylanjstx

Post by dylanjstx » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:40 pm

Really looking forward to the show from the other day w/ Bailey vs. Gargano. Haven't been following Smash for very long but I loved the Smash vs. CZW show so look forward to following them from here on out.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Feb 21, 2016 7:12 pm

dancecab wrote:Highly recommend Mike Bailey vs. Johnny Gargano from last night. Really really good match. It's just a shame that although Smash is getting larger and larger crowds. They just don't seem to be very vocal. It's kinda annoying since the work really hard in ring and barely pop. Overdogs vs. Edwards and Hero was really good as well. Despite my dislike for intergender Frankie the Mobster vs. Candice Larea was really enjoyable as well. Also Tabernack de Team I think is the best canadian indy tag team other then Super Smash Bros. Not only is there name hilarious but they are really really good in ring.

Also announced for the Any Given Sunday 4 is Cherry Bomb vs. Courtney Rush which should be good, Tarik vs. Some guy in a band I've never heard of but has run angles with Smash and Bull Dempsey will be on the show. They have some other cool matches coming up on some university tours that'll be coming to tape in the coming months.

TdT has been a team I've been really high on for years and think that they're just basically in-waiting for that spot to open up somewhere that will get them more recognition. They've been very good in C*4 and ISW.

They were booked for AIW, but the downer there was Steen was their ride and he got hurt, so they never got the shot in the States that they really haven't gotten outside ISW. Beyond didn't do much with them.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:52 pm

I had a good time at the show although it did run very long. I have no problem attending 4 hour shows but it didn't feel like there was 4 hours worth of wrestling last night, just maybe 2 & then a bunch of extra stuff that was unneccessary and just dragged the night on. The video promos especially.

Speedball/Gargano was awesome. Easily my favorite SMASH match live but I've only recently started attending shows now that I've found friends to go with. They did some really creative stuff and I loved the finish.

Frankie/Candace was great! Intergender is absolutely fine when you have a female who knows how to work it and has talent. That's always been my LU complaint. Ivelisse is great. None of their other women are. And even worse women have yet to debut this season. But someone like Candace knows what to do & is willing to take a major beating. I popped huge when she got steamrolled on Frankie's tope. It was my second favorite match of the night.

The tag tournament first round matches were generally very good (generally because Tyson Dux was involved and I am so sick of him being on local shows). Would love to see a SSB vs Team Tabernack match. The Tabernacks are very charasmatic and have a good look. Hero/Edwards worked great together and I much prefer them over seeing Davey.

Don't think I'm going back for 3/20 as women's wrestling & some NXT guy don't exactly do it for me (much like the CZW show) but SMASH delivered again last night.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:54 am

RobViper13 wrote:I had a good time at the show although it did run very long. I have no problem attending 4 hour shows but it didn't feel like there was 4 hours worth of wrestling last night, just maybe 2 & then a bunch of extra stuff that was unneccessary and just dragged the night on. The video promos especially.

Speedball/Gargano was awesome. Easily my favorite SMASH match live but I've only recently started attending shows now that I've found friends to go with. They did some really creative stuff and I loved the finish.

Frankie/Candace was great! Intergender is absolutely fine when you have a female who knows how to work it and has talent. That's always been my LU complaint. Ivelisse is great. None of their other women are. And even worse women have yet to debut this season. But someone like Candace knows what to do & is willing to take a major beating. I popped huge when she got steamrolled on Frankie's tope. It was my second favorite match of the night.

The tag tournament first round matches were generally very good (generally because Tyson Dux was involved and I am so sick of him being on local shows). Would love to see a SSB vs Team Tabernack match. The Tabernacks are very charasmatic and have a good look. Hero/Edwards worked great together and I much prefer them over seeing Davey.

Don't think I'm going back for 3/20 as women's wrestling & some NXT guy don't exactly do it for me (much like the CZW show) but SMASH delivered again last night.
Aww dope you were at the show. what others have you attended?

I completely get where you are coming from regarding Any Given Sunday although I have a feeling the show will be stacked beyond those matches in years prior. I'm quite invested in the Rush and Bomb storyline though as I enjoy their work and felt this whole storyline has been booked well. Honestly I felt the intensity at the show. I'm fully expecting it to be awesome?

themib

Post by themib » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:31 pm

Rush vs. Bomb has probably been one of the indies' better long-term booked stories in recent times, admittedly mostly because Bomb's shoulder injury meant they couldn't do the match when they wanted to, but they've done a great job of keeping things going. And at least Cherry will get a few matches in before then to shake off any ring rust.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:27 pm

themib wrote:Rush vs. Bomb has probably been one of the indies' better long-term booked stories in recent times, admittedly mostly because Bomb's shoulder injury meant they couldn't do the match when they wanted to, but they've done a great job of keeping things going. And at least Cherry will get a few matches in before then to shake off any ring rust.
Very much so. The injury was defiantly a blessing in disguise cause it aloud the program to build interest. I think the one take away is the fact they literally haven't touched since the hair cut incident. It makes it that much more interesting when they finally do. I think all these other promotions need to take notice because I honestly wouldn't be half as interested if they did brawl at any point.