Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
RobViper13

Re: Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:00 am

dancecab wrote:
RobViper13 wrote:I had a good time at the show although it did run very long. I have no problem attending 4 hour shows but it didn't feel like there was 4 hours worth of wrestling last night, just maybe 2 & then a bunch of extra stuff that was unneccessary and just dragged the night on. The video promos especially.

Speedball/Gargano was awesome. Easily my favorite SMASH match live but I've only recently started attending shows now that I've found friends to go with. They did some really creative stuff and I loved the finish.

Frankie/Candace was great! Intergender is absolutely fine when you have a female who knows how to work it and has talent. That's always been my LU complaint. Ivelisse is great. None of their other women are. And even worse women have yet to debut this season. But someone like Candace knows what to do & is willing to take a major beating. I popped huge when she got steamrolled on Frankie's tope. It was my second favorite match of the night.

The tag tournament first round matches were generally very good (generally because Tyson Dux was involved and I am so sick of him being on local shows). Would love to see a SSB vs Team Tabernack match. The Tabernacks are very charasmatic and have a good look. Hero/Edwards worked great together and I much prefer them over seeing Davey.

Don't think I'm going back for 3/20 as women's wrestling & some NXT guy don't exactly do it for me (much like the CZW show) but SMASH delivered again last night.
Aww dope you were at the show. what others have you attended?

I completely get where you are coming from regarding Any Given Sunday although I have a feeling the show will be stacked beyond those matches in years prior. I'm quite invested in the Rush and Bomb storyline though as I enjoy their work and felt this whole storyline has been booked well. Honestly I felt the intensity at the show. I'm fully expecting it to be awesome?
My first show was in October and since then the only one I missed was the CZW show recently. It's always been a great time and easy to attend considering it's my city.:) I always heard they did great shows but could never find anyone to go with. Now that I have a couple buddies who are into it as well I'm more than happy to go whenever time allows.

Don't get me wrong, the storyline with the women has been fine from what I've seen. It's just not for me. The show ending brawl was nicely done and I think Cherry Bomb is super hot. But I have tenative plans to be out of town that weekend and I could change them if SMASH loaded up a show but so far that & the NXT guy aren't gonna get me to change anything. Like you said, still time for them to announce more.

I'm just happy there's a good local wrestling promotion. I grew up in the days where I'd just be happy if someone ran even if it was the Magen Bros putting on a show with a Tito Santana vs Honky Tonk Man main event with Screech from Saved By The Bell as the guest ref...
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:43 pm

RobViper13 wrote:
dancecab wrote:
RobViper13 wrote:I had a good time at the show although it did run very long. I have no problem attending 4 hour shows but it didn't feel like there was 4 hours worth of wrestling last night, just maybe 2 & then a bunch of extra stuff that was unneccessary and just dragged the night on. The video promos especially.

Speedball/Gargano was awesome. Easily my favorite SMASH match live but I've only recently started attending shows now that I've found friends to go with. They did some really creative stuff and I loved the finish.

Frankie/Candace was great! Intergender is absolutely fine when you have a female who knows how to work it and has talent. That's always been my LU complaint. Ivelisse is great. None of their other women are. And even worse women have yet to debut this season. But someone like Candace knows what to do & is willing to take a major beating. I popped huge when she got steamrolled on Frankie's tope. It was my second favorite match of the night.

The tag tournament first round matches were generally very good (generally because Tyson Dux was involved and I am so sick of him being on local shows). Would love to see a SSB vs Team Tabernack match. The Tabernacks are very charasmatic and have a good look. Hero/Edwards worked great together and I much prefer them over seeing Davey.

Don't think I'm going back for 3/20 as women's wrestling & some NXT guy don't exactly do it for me (much like the CZW show) but SMASH delivered again last night.
Aww dope you were at the show. what others have you attended?

I completely get where you are coming from regarding Any Given Sunday although I have a feeling the show will be stacked beyond those matches in years prior. I'm quite invested in the Rush and Bomb storyline though as I enjoy their work and felt this whole storyline has been booked well. Honestly I felt the intensity at the show. I'm fully expecting it to be awesome?
My first show was in October and since then the only one I missed was the CZW show recently. It's always been a great time and easy to attend considering it's my city.:) I always heard they did great shows but could never find anyone to go with. Now that I have a couple buddies who are into it as well I'm more than happy to go whenever time allows.

Don't get me wrong, the storyline with the women has been fine from what I've seen. It's just not for me. The show ending brawl was nicely done and I think Cherry Bomb is super hot. But I have tenative plans to be out of town that weekend and I could change them if SMASH loaded up a show but so far that & the NXT guy aren't gonna get me to change anything. Like you said, still time for them to announce more.

I'm just happy there's a good local wrestling promotion. I grew up in the days where I'd just be happy if someone ran even if it was the Magen Bros putting on a show with a Tito Santana vs Honky Tonk Man main event with Screech from Saved By The Bell as the guest ref...
Bomb man. October and November were fun shows. Especially This is Smash. Freaking loved Angelico Vs. Evans and Andrews Vs. Tarik. Well man hopefully I'll see you at a future show. Great product in the city that's sure.

Ahh I completely understand. I'm in the same boat as you in regards to that show. Sunday shows are actually the worst for me since I am usually busy. I personally really enjoy both of their in ring work so it works for me. I think they are both on the upper echelon of the non NXT north american woman's wrestlers.

LOL I feel you. I've tried Destiny and it just isn't for me. I've been meaning to try Superkick'd but the fact they haven't put their shows online and i always end up busy when they run a show has left that completely out of the window. My brother goes to the Alpha 1 shows in Hamilton and says they are really good quality and level with Smash, just a little less outside indy talent. It's run by Ethan Page so I'd have to imagine it would be good. Again though the Sunday timeslot kills me because I have rehearsals at that time.

themib

Post by themib » Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:52 am

Cherry Bomb talks about her Any Given Sunday 4 match with Courtney Rush, and her comeback from injury.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:35 pm

Did anyone go to Any Given Sunday?

themib

Post by themib » Mon May 30, 2016 9:01 am

Big announcement at yesterday's GOLD show - it'll be SMASH vs. PROGRESS on September 17th and 18th in Toronto! As part of this agreement, Johnny Gargano will defend the SMASH Championship at PROGRESS in London on June 26th.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue May 31, 2016 8:38 pm

Quite exited about this to the point that I already bought tickets for both night. I never buy tickets for Smash until I see the whole card and know what my weekend looks like, but I'm planning on working my life around these shows.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Still can't believe Haskins won the title and I'm going to see him live. It's pretty lit because over the last 9 months he's really turned me into a fan. Honestly pretty much from his PROGRESS title match with Ospreay he's just been delivering the goods for me. I'm really looking foreward to Tarik and Mark Haskins. I find Tarik is the type of guy that it really depends who he's with for the quality of match and I think Haskins will be able to do something good with him. I'm willing to make out the trip to Pickering just to see the match FFS.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Fri Jul 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Nice to see that there's some buzz surrounding Smash Wrestling again. I really got into the promotion in 2014, but they seemed to fall off the radar in the second half of 2015. I think all of these "Smash vs. Other Promotions" shows they're doing this year are really cool.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:32 pm

I completely agree with you. Cody Rhodes has been announced for a show in October as well as Chavo for their Super Showdown show in August. Chavo does nothing for me but Mark Haskins certainly peaks my interest for that show. Cody I'm interested in but it all depends with how he performs in BOLA. Galloway won me over because of his tournament perfromance.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Jul 04, 2016 4:27 pm

I went to my first Alpha-1 Wrestling show and quite enjoyed myself. For those that don't know it's Ethan Page's promotion that runs out of my hometown of Hamilton. Joshua Alexander, Scotty O'Shae, Brent Banks, Heidi Lovelace, Ricky Shane Page, Space Monkey, Gregory Irons, Sleeziya Sparks and Shane Sabre are pretty much main stays on the show that SMASH fans would know. They brought in Mike Bailey, Cheesburger, Veda Scott, David Starr and my personal favorite canadian indy tag team Tabernak de Team yesterday. Honestly really enjoyed the show and it's on par with SMASH in a lot of ways although I actually think Alpha-1 is a little more interesting with their story telling and has a bit better of a crowd. They do bring in some talented dudes though as Ricochet, Steen, Elgin, Brodie Lee, Cedric Alexander and Carlito have come through in the past. Honestly major recommendation on my part for those that enjoy Smash as the shows about 45 minutes from where Smash usually runs. I will say Scotty O'Shae and Brent Banks came across as way bigger deals in Alpha-1.

It has also got me into a debate mode about changing this thread from just Smash to talking about Ontario Indy wrestling in general. Although I think I'm the only one that goes to non-Smash shows on the forum.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:49 pm

dancecab wrote:I completely agree with you. Cody Rhodes has been announced for a show in October as well as Chavo for their Super Showdown show in August. Chavo does nothing for me but Mark Haskins certainly peaks my interest for that show. Cody I'm interested in but it all depends with how he performs in BOLA. Galloway won me over because of his tournament perfromance.
I think Chavo Guerrero getting booked by SMASH just says a lot about Lucha Underground. Could you image, two years ago, a guy like Chavo Guerrero getting booked in independent promotions that aren't named PWS, NEW, House of Hardcore, and similar promotions of that ilk?

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:47 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
dancecab wrote:I completely agree with you. Cody Rhodes has been announced for a show in October as well as Chavo for their Super Showdown show in August. Chavo does nothing for me but Mark Haskins certainly peaks my interest for that show. Cody I'm interested in but it all depends with how he performs in BOLA. Galloway won me over because of his tournament perfromance.
I think Chavo Guerrero getting booked by SMASH just says a lot about Lucha Underground. Could you image, two years ago, a guy like Chavo Guerrero getting booked in independent promotions that aren't named PWS, NEW, House of Hardcore, and similar promotions of that ilk?
That's a very valid point. But I just can't help think their is someone more interesting to book from Lucha Underground. We still haven't gotten Drago or Pentagon Jr after their visa issues (or Micheal Elgin for that matter). I know they are in hot demand right now but still would be nice to see them in the promotion. Beyond those two I would give anything for them to bring Fenix, King Cuerno, Ivelise or Taya but that's just me being picky and unrealistic. I think Taya is the most realistic though given shes from Canada and teamed with Cherry Bomb and KC Spenelli for AAA World Cup.

Speaking of talent I would love to see in SMASH again, I wish they would bring back Jack Evans, Angelico, Lio Rush or Jonathan Gresham.

I just realized with the current calendar the CANUSA all woman's show is not on the schedule. Makes me wonder if they dropped the format or moving it to after the Cody Rhodes show.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:55 pm

dancecab wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:
That's a very valid point. But I just can't help think their is someone more interesting to book from Lucha Underground. We still haven't gotten Drago or Pentagon Jr after their visa issues (or Micheal Elgin for that matter). I know they are in hot demand right now but still would be nice to see them in the promotion. Beyond those two I would give anything for them to bring Fenix, King Cuerno, Ivelise or Taya but that's just me being picky and unrealistic. I think Taya is the most realistic though given shes from Canada and teamed with Cherry Bomb and KC Spenelli for AAA World Cup.
Oh, don't get me wrong, there are many people from Lucha Underground that I would book over Chavo Guerrero, but just the fact that he got booked by a place like SMASH just shows what Lucha Underground has done for some of the guys involved (better examples would be guys like Fenix, Pentagon Jr., Drago, & Aerostar getting bookings in places like PWG, AAW, AIW, CHIKARA, and other promotions that they never would have been booked for if Lucha Underground never came to be).

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:48 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
dancecab wrote:
DXvsNWO wrote:
Oh, don't get me wrong, there are many people from Lucha Underground that I would book over Chavo Guerrero, but just the fact that he got booked by a place like SMASH just shows what Lucha Underground has done for some of the guys involved (better examples would be guys like Fenix, Pentagon Jr., Drago, & Aerostar getting bookings in places like PWG, AAW, AIW, CHIKARA, and other promotions that they never would have been booked for if Lucha Underground never came to be).
I totally feel you man. It has defiantly made Chavo into a bigger deal since SMASH isn't the type of company just to book WWE guys because. They book a who's who of the indy scene and Lucha Underground is hot commodity right now. I just can't help throw names out that I would like to see in the promotion with hopes that someone in charge may see.

For all those interested, powers that be posted my SMASH review on the site for GOLD 2K16. Won't be the last. ;) http://www.voicesofwrestling.com/2016/0 ... ts-review/

themib

Post by themib » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:08 pm

The rematch between Courtney Rush and Cherry Bomb is No DQ, and will be at Super Showdown IV on August 21st.

They've added a third show with PROGRESS, at the Music Hall in Oshawa on September 16th, titled "SMASH vs. PROGRESS Uncensored". Zack Sabre Jr., El Ligero, Mark Andrews and the London Riots are the first PROGRESS talents announced.

Cody Rhodes vs. Tyson Dux will be at the October 23rd show.