Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
dancecab

Re: Smash Wrestling - Canada's answer to superindy

Post by dancecab » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:59 pm

themib wrote:The rematch between Courtney Rush and Cherry Bomb is No DQ, and will be at Super Showdown IV on August 21st.

They've added a third show with PROGRESS, at the Music Hall in Oshawa on September 16th, titled "SMASH vs. PROGRESS Uncensored". Zack Sabre Jr., El Ligero, Mark Andrews and the London Riots are the first PROGRESS talents announced.

Cody Rhodes vs. Tyson Dux will be at the October 23rd show.
So beyond hyped to see Mark Andrews and Zack Sabre Jr again live and see London Riots for the first time. I'm also really looking foreward to see Haskins in a month.

I really enjoyed the Chikara show. I'll post my thoughts in my review but I will say the Gargano send off was really nice to see. He comes off as a really good guy especially putting over one of the kids that comes to all the SMASH shows. It was really nice to see.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Mon Jul 25, 2016 10:40 pm

themib wrote:The rematch between Courtney Rush and Cherry Bomb is No DQ, and will be at Super Showdown IV on August 21st.

They've added a third show with PROGRESS, at the Music Hall in Oshawa on September 16th, titled "SMASH vs. PROGRESS Uncensored". Zack Sabre Jr., El Ligero, Mark Andrews and the London Riots are the first PROGRESS talents announced.

Cody Rhodes vs. Tyson Dux will be at the October 23rd show.
Awesome stuff!!

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:44 am

HOLY. FUCK. SO beyond excitied. I don't think a match for SMASH has gotten me as excited as this in a LONG time. Can't wait to see them given actual time. Holy shit.

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:05 am

dancecab wrote:Image

HOLY. FUCK. SO beyond excitied. I don't think a match for SMASH has gotten me as excited as this in a LONG time. Can't wait to see them given actual time. Holy shit.
This is a rematch of the CWC encounter tonight. Cool stuff!

Also...

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:26 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
dancecab wrote:Image

This is a rematch of the CWC encounter tonight. Cool stuff!
Yup. I was super jacked when I saw that on the CWC bracket but quickly realized it would be a short match to showcase ZSJ. I'm so pumped for them to tell a full story and have time. I really really enjoyed their match on CWC so it should be excellent. Should be even better being there live. :lol:

I'm really looking forward to these shows.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:02 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy8c0rGBKDc

I'm really excited for this match. It's probably my most anticipated match after Haskins Vs. Tarik on Super Showdown. I don't know what it is but I'm all in on Kevin Bennett right now. HE's such a great cocky frat boy heel and he's not even remotely cool enough to cheer. Props for being a great heel in an era where great heels are celebrated.

themib

Post by themib » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:21 pm

Jack Gallagher and SMASH Champion Mark Haskins round out the PROGRESS talent for the weekend. Bit disappointed none of the women are coming over (I knew Jinny wasn't as she had a booking for that weekend), but Haskins, Gallagher, ZSJ, the Riots, Ligero and Andrews are a good group.

CANUSA Classic returns on October 22nd, SMASH's yearly women's tournament pitting Canadian stars against American stars.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:49 pm

themib wrote:Jack Gallagher and SMASH Champion Mark Haskins round out the PROGRESS talent for the weekend. Bit disappointed none of the women are coming over (I knew Jinny wasn't as she had a booking for that weekend), but Haskins, Gallagher, ZSJ, the Riots, Ligero and Andrews are a good group.

CANUSA Classic returns on October 22nd, SMASH's yearly women's tournament pitting Canadian stars against American stars.
LOL I suck at posting updates. I'm super stoked about the lineup, not going to lie. I would preferred Pollyanna or Jinny or Toni Storm as well but that might have been unrealistic considering they are not as known entities to non-Progress fans. It should still be sick tho. It should be interesting to see who the SMASH talent is. I don't know if we will get any names like Hero or Cross. I would still hope for Cross because Cross Vs. Andrews is one of those dream matches for me. AAW is running the Saturday tho so I don't know how likely that is.

Last year had the awesome Havoc Vs. Courtney Rush match which is one of the best woman's matches I've ever seen live. I really loved how hard hitting that match was.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:36 pm

Bunch of matches announced. Night 2 looks epic.

SMASH Vs. Progress Uncensored
Brett Banks Vs. Mark Andrews

SMASH VS. Progress Night One
Evil Uno Vs. El Ligero
Smash Title Match Below (Super Showdown spoilers:)
► Show Spoiler
SMASH Vs. Progress Night Two
Mike Bailey Vs. Mark Haskins
Fans Bring the Keyboards - Brent Banks Vs. Scotty O'Shae
Mark Andrews Vs. Kevin Bennett

CANUSA Classic
Steel Cage Match - US Captain: Cherry Bomb Vs. Canada Captain: Courtney Rush

DXvsNWO

Post by DXvsNWO » Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:44 am

dancecab wrote:SMASH Vs. Progress Uncensored
So wait, is "Uncensored" a 3rd show?
dancecab wrote: Fans Bring the Keyboards - Brent Banks Vs. Scotty O'Shae
Did these two reignite their feud from 2014 (which also featured a "Fans Bring The Keyboards" Match)?
dancecab wrote:CANUSA Classic
I'm actually REALLY excited to see this match, especially when you consider how long the feud has been going on.

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:06 pm

DXvsNWO wrote:
dancecab wrote:SMASH Vs. Progress Uncensored
So wait, is "Uncensored" a 3rd show?
dancecab wrote: Fans Bring the Keyboards - Brent Banks Vs. Scotty O'Shae
Did these two reignite their feud from 2014 (which also featured a "Fans Bring The Keyboards" Match)?
dancecab wrote:CANUSA Classic
I'm actually REALLY excited to see this match, especially when you consider how long the feud has been going on.
Yup. They added a Friday show.

Yup. Basically they tried to be tag partners and unite instead of always fighting. Scotty was trying to get Banks to fight fair but Banks be banks. Scotty got jealous and attempted to steal the win at SMASH vs. CHIKARA leading to their match at Super Showdown for the #1 Contender ship. It was a really good match with callbacks. Recommend watching especially with the angle.

I'm excited too. Their Hardcore match was alot of fun. IT's just a shame Super Showdown was at a new location so the crowd wasn't as aware of their history. The two women really killed themselves. I'll have a full review of Super Showdown up by the end of the week. Just all wrestled out to the point I'm not too keen to write articles or watch. :lol:

themib

Post by themib » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Big trio of title defences for Mark Haskins on the November 4th Anniversary Weekend...

November 11th in St. Catherines in a Triple Threat Match vs. Kevin Bennett and either Mark Andrews or Matt Cross (decided this Sunday at PROGRESS Chapter 38)
November 12th in London vs. Tyson Dux
November 13th in Toronto vs. Jimmy Havoc

Other than a throwaway match at last year's Download Festival, this will be the first major one-on-one Haskins/Havoc match, so SMASH have quite the coup here!

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:38 pm

themib wrote:Big trio of title defences for Mark Haskins on the November 4th Anniversary Weekend...

November 11th in St. Catherines in a Triple Threat Match vs. Kevin Bennett and either Mark Andrews or Matt Cross (decided this Sunday at PROGRESS Chapter 38)
November 12th in London vs. Tyson Dux
November 13th in Toronto vs. Jimmy Havoc

Other than a throwaway match at last year's Download Festival, this will be the first major one-on-one Haskins/Havoc match, so SMASH have quite the coup here!
Quite stoked for all of these. Also Announced

November 11th
Brent Banks Vs. Jimmy Havoc
Tarik Vs. Joe Hendry

November 12th
Jimmy Havoc Vs. Matt Cross
Joe Hendry VS. Kevin Bennett - I'm really hoping for a Hendry entrance because I feel like this one would be epic.

November 13th
Scotty O'Shea Vs. John Greed Vs. Shane Sabre Vs. Joe Hendry

Should be a really great weekend. I'm for sure going to the 12th.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:08 am

Bump? I think?

I went to Any Given Saturday on... Saturday... and had a pretty good time. Usual packed crowd in the gym that's being renovated so it felt different even though it was the same location as usual.

Show started by setting up the new main event (which didn't main event) as Matt Cross got hurt so Sami Callahan needed a new opponent.

Scotty O'Shea vs John Greed was a really good opener with lots of hot moves. Ended up being my second favorite match of the night. O'Shea won when Jimmy Korderas missed Greed's foot being under the rope.

Kevin Bennett & friends beat Franky The Mobster so Franky is now Kevin's slave. Really dragged. Bennett's bodyguards were no good but when Bennett finally got in the match picked up a bit. Post-match felt like an hour and just built to Franky saying he can't slap Bennett so he slapped the bodyguards and Bennett forcing him to be his partner in the tag tournament in March.

Sebastian Suave debuted a new gimmick where he is an endorsement or is looking for endorsments or something of the sort and beat some girl named Xandra Bale. Pretty awful aside from one hilarious moment where he rolled her outside and the match stopped while an advertisement played on the video screen (get it? endorsement?).

Brett Banks beat Mike Bailey & Psycho Mike in the second best match of the night. Lots of cool stuff.

During intermission they announced teams for the tag tournament in March, announced Penta 0M coming to work that show which got a big pop & also announced this really great deal where if you're a local wrestling fan who has nobody to attend SMASH shows with or are too shy/nervous to go on your own, you can contact this guy annoymously and he'll arrange it so you can go to shows with a group of people. I cannot stress how much I love this concept and wish it had been around when I was younger. Hopefully it spreads and something like this eventually exists all over the world.

Sami Callahan beat Braxton Sutter. What's a Braxton Sutter? His wife wasn't there so that sucked, she's usually the best part of his matches. It was no DQ but they didn't really do much no DQ stuff for some reason. Sami tapped him out.

TDT beat Super Smash Bros in a really fun match, best of the night IMO. At one point Stu got boosted into a crazy somersault plancha right beside us. These guys have worked with each other a lot so they could probably do this good match in their sleep. TDT won to send them into the tag tournament strong but then Sutter/Psycho Mike (last year's tag tourney winners) attacked both teams.

Tyson Dux beat Tarik to retain the title. It was a Tyson Dux match... perfectly acceptable for 205 Live.

They are announcing Penta 0M's opponent tonight on twitter during RAW.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:23 am

RobViper13 wrote:Bump? I think?

I went to Any Given Saturday on... Saturday... and had a pretty good time. Usual packed crowd in the gym that's being renovated so it felt different even though it was the same location as usual.

Show started by setting up the new main event (which didn't main event) as Matt Cross got hurt so Sami Callahan needed a new opponent.

Scotty O'Shea vs John Greed was a really good opener with lots of hot moves. Ended up being my second favorite match of the night. O'Shea won when Jimmy Korderas missed Greed's foot being under the rope.

Kevin Bennett & friends beat Franky The Mobster so Franky is now Kevin's slave. Really dragged. Bennett's bodyguards were no good but when Bennett finally got in the match picked up a bit. Post-match felt like an hour and just built to Franky saying he can't slap Bennett so he slapped the bodyguards and Bennett forcing him to be his partner in the tag tournament in March.

Sebastian Suave debuted a new gimmick where he is an endorsement or is looking for endorsments or something of the sort and beat some girl named Xandra Bale. Pretty awful aside from one hilarious moment where he rolled her outside and the match stopped while an advertisement played on the video screen (get it? endorsement?).

Brett Banks beat Mike Bailey & Psycho Mike in the second best match of the night. Lots of cool stuff.

During intermission they announced teams for the tag tournament in March, announced Penta 0M coming to work that show which got a big pop & also announced this really great deal where if you're a local wrestling fan who has nobody to attend SMASH shows with or are too shy/nervous to go on your own, you can contact this guy annoymously and he'll arrange it so you can go to shows with a group of people. I cannot stress how much I love this concept and wish it had been around when I was younger. Hopefully it spreads and something like this eventually exists all over the world.

Sami Callahan beat Braxton Sutter. What's a Braxton Sutter? His wife wasn't there so that sucked, she's usually the best part of his matches. It was no DQ but they didn't really do much no DQ stuff for some reason. Sami tapped him out.

TDT beat Super Smash Bros in a really fun match, best of the night IMO. At one point Stu got boosted into a crazy somersault plancha right beside us. These guys have worked with each other a lot so they could probably do this good match in their sleep. TDT won to send them into the tag tournament strong but then Sutter/Psycho Mike (last year's tag tourney winners) attacked both teams.

Tyson Dux beat Tarik to retain the title. It was a Tyson Dux match... perfectly acceptable for 205 Live.

They are announcing Penta 0M's opponent tonight on twitter during RAW.
I quite enjoyed the show as well. I actually am kinda digging the new gimmick for Suave. I find Kingdom a great manager and Suave is so much less bland with this gimmick. The match wasn't anything great, but I have a strict distaste for most intergender matches. They just make me uncomfortable. I get it works for establishing him as a heel but I dunno. I have a hard time with it.

Yo TDT is so underrated it's not even funny. I dont get why no one in the states boops them. There tag match was so good. Very close to edging that 4 star range. I haven't fully committed but I'm either 3 3/4 to 4. Both teams are just so great.

I actually didn't hate the Sutter vs. Sami match. It was way better then I expected to it and had genuine moments of intensity between the two. Just didn't really hAve that feel throughout. I think half the reason the no dq didn't have much in terms of weapons use was due to it being so last minute and unable to really get props.

It was announced tonight it's Penta vs. Tarik which should be fun and London Riots vs. TDT which was one of the matches I was hoping for on the Progress vs. SMASH shows that didn't come to be.