F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
wac

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by wac » Sat May 28, 2016 11:57 pm

Mushnick has been writing really hacky, often racist sports columns forever: http://deadspin.com/tag/phil-mushnick

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Sun May 29, 2016 8:19 pm

In the nobody will care but me department - I've been banned from the board for something like 6 months but since Bryan's brother-in-law who does the technical stuff is incompetent he left open a backdoor way to still access it. That seems to have closed up finally after my latest post where I pointed out how angry Bryan seemed when my name got mentioned on his radio show last week. :)
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Brandon Howard
VOW Staff Member

Post by Brandon Howard » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:45 pm

mlev76 wrote:
mprentice84 wrote:
mlev76 wrote:One area where both Dave and Bryan have a rather large blindspot is in reporting things in context of a broader picture. Specifically, given the last year of declining ratings, a regular reader of the site would assume WWE was of a diminished value to USA and might be in trouble.

The changes to Smackdown and the brand split are now being reported as the opposite of that-namely, that WWE's one of the most, if not most, valuable commodities USA has and they are doubling down on their investment in the product. To be fair, this 'sky is falling' narrative is widespread across the wide spectrum of wrestling pundits, but like many things, Dave tends to lead the call first and others follow.
Dave has been saying that in the WON for well over a year. Despite WWE"s freefall in ratings and viewership, USA is in a much worse spot and is more reliant on WWE to boost the station number than ever before.
The site is consistently trumpeting, almost gleefully, the dropping ratings. And that may be more Bryan than Dave. Quite honestly, the ratings review process is kinda outdated given they have no direct competition.
It's difficult to say whether there are actually fewer eyeballs on WWE as their ratings decline. Non-traditional methods of watching WWE are becoming more popular: WWE viewership on Hulu is unknown, but subscriptions to that service as a whole are always increasing (12 million currently); WWE is very proud of their ever-increasing ad-supported YouTube views. Views for individual clips of Raw and SmackDown number in the 100,000s, a few YT videos from the shows hit 1 million. WWE says 70-80% of that though is from outside the U.S. The TV ratings and viewership everyone reports and talks about are for the U.S. audience only. Any attempts to reconcile free internet video views with viewership would be pretty impossible with the data that we have publicly. For example, we have no idea how many views of all clips from an episode of Raw represent unique people.

I wrote something relevant on this that posted yesterday:
http://seekingalpha.com/article/3979115 ... cles_title

When the news broke about SmackDown going live on Tuesday, I figured NBCUniversal was paying WWE more for the move. But I've only heard since, from Dave and others as well, that NBCU is not paying WWE any extra money for this move. This suggests NBCU is in fact not satisfied with the WWE's current ratings, at least for SmackDown (whose ratings did jump when they moved from Syfy to USA, but have continued to slide ever since).

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:29 pm

When folks argue that WWE is preparing for a future outside of the cable TV industry, one thing some don't mention is that it could be a very rough few years if the gravy train TV deal crashes and burns, and the internet services only pick up a portion of the revenue.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Brandon Howard wrote:
mlev76 wrote:
mprentice84 wrote: It's difficult to say whether there are actually fewer eyeballs on WWE as their ratings decline. Non-traditional methods of watching WWE are becoming more popular: WWE viewership on Hulu is unknown, but subscriptions to that service as a whole are always increasing (12 million currently); WWE is very proud of their ever-increasing ad-supported YouTube views. Views for individual clips of Raw and SmackDown number in the 100,000s, a few YT videos from the shows hit 1 million. WWE says 70-80% of that though is from outside the U.S. The TV ratings and viewership everyone reports and talks about are for the U.S. audience only. Any attempts to reconcile free internet video views with viewership would be pretty impossible with the data that we have publicly. For example, we have no idea how many views of all clips from an episode of Raw represent unique people.
I actually think you're low balling them on the youtube bit, but overall I agree. I honestly think the same number of people are aware of the product and watching as years ago, just differently. The amount of content they're producing hasn't led people to stop following altogether, just not as closely.

Seth Rollins return the Monday night Raw last week is at about 3.5 mil views now. And that's just in a little over a week. If you take out the 70% international mix, that's about a million people in the US watching, and I doubt that any significant percentage would be people that already watched.

And there's a ton of clips on their youtube channel from Mania season that were doing 6 mil in a few week span. Unfortunately for them, they're not making a lot of money on these people, which is the issue.

ayaashm

Post by ayaashm » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:55 pm

Interesting note from the May 17,1999 edition of the Observer
"When Steve Williams was in Japan, he asked Misawa about getting his job back and was told "maybe." Basically All Japan filled Williams' position with Vader and with business just so-so, it's not a definite they'd want to add Williams who is at a high salary deal to the company books. Williams is, as you'd expect, really upset with how the WWF deal went down. He left what was ostensibly a lifetime job with All Japan where he got first class accommodations everywhere paid for, when Jim Ross sold him on the idea that he'd work 10-15 dates per month in the U.S. and be home to see his six-year-old grow up and play his little league games and such, which was a big deal to him, and not have to deal with lengthy Japanese tours anymore. He was promised a six-month run with Steve Austin and a three-year deal, and the Brawl for All injury knocked all plans out of the water. The only explanation he was given for being dropped is that Vince McMahon didn't think he could get over, which he felt he never got a fair shake, since he only did the Brawl for All, got hurt, and after coming back, only worked twice, a handicap match against the Hardy Boyz and a Hardcore match against Bob Holly. He said he was sold on doing Brawl for All, which was planned to springboard him to the top, except it was a shoot and he didn't win, because McMahon was offering a $100,000 prize to the tournament winner and he felt if he took that money and invested it that it would pay for his son's college education in 12 years. He didn't like the idea of it being a shoot, figuring they could do a worked shoot and it would be less dangerous, although he was more concerned when it was brought up to him that it would be a shoot with hurting other wrestlers than being hurt himself."
Lanza is a geek.
Twitter : https://twitter.com/drunkonchai/

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:54 am

The B&V commentary track for the Final Deletion made the whole thing so much better. Highly recommend watching it again with the audio set to B&V

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 3:47 pm

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:03 pm

supersonic wrote:Image
I can't read that. I've tried every method to have it in it's original size, and it's always just 320x170.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jul 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Summary: I told Dave to stop being a pussy with his ROH coverage, even if it means pissing off Koff/Johnston.

rovert

Post by rovert » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:51 pm

Effective

pol

Post by pol » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:52 am

No post-draft Observer Radio when every MMA drug failure gets a breaking news audio is pretty ridiculous.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:40 am

10 minutes on B&V doesn't suffice? How about the Balor fanboy fantasy booking and fabricating scoops in the past year for the promotion, then the night it happens, bitch about the NXT draft picks?

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:41 pm

If Dave is unavailable to do an audio on Tuesday nights, that's understandable. What doesn't make sense is that the other people with a financial stake in the website get to use that as an excuse to shrug off doing post-draft coverage as well. From what I understand, Bryan didn't even watch Smackdown either. The results read off on the B&V show were from the website. Just baffling.

The Torch staff has done a number of extra audios this week including a 100 minute post-draft roundtable with Bruce, Wade, and Travis. Even the big free sites had audio coverage.

rovert

Post by rovert » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:33 pm

Meltzer's Hall of Fame speech: