F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Padje

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by Padje » Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:16 pm

If Dave was serious about the star rating he would've given it *****3/4

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:35 pm

MobbVanDam wrote:I wish I had so little going on that I was annoyed by someone's wrestling opinions
Sadly, plenty of people have nothing else going on than being an online troll or pretend big shot.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:39 pm

Been unsubscribed for a couple weeks now. I will say it sucks that I got out prior to the Best Ofs being released, and there are other aspects I miss, but otherwise no regrets. If I thought Bryan was grating now, imagine listening to him the next time I listen to WOL or a free show, after getting the voice out of my mind. I'll probably resubscribe for the special offers to catch up on a few of the better shows (not to download them all, if I liked them consistantly I would have stayed subscribed.)
Last edited by TGD287 on Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VonLInus

Post by VonLInus » Fri Jan 06, 2017 3:40 pm

powerfulmgp wrote:
MobbVanDam wrote:I wish I had so little going on that I was annoyed by someone's wrestling opinions
Sadly, plenty of people have nothing else going on than being an online troll or pretend big shot.
Bit hurtful this.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:54 pm

So...

Your website gets an interview with Triple H where he seeks to promote a direct to DVD movie for WWE. He gives you a little more time to ask questions. Do you:

a) not advertise his appearance until just before and then only on Twitter?
b) ask about the UK tournament, rumors of additional tournaments and other big picture issue?
c) discuss retro Raws you just watched and reviewed on your show?
d) query about the complications about memorializing a complex person like Jimmy Snuka?

Those who listen know which Bryan did and which 2 he didn't.

*shakes head in disgust*

powerfulmgp

Post by powerfulmgp » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:29 pm

I'm the furthest thing from a Bryan Alvarez defender, but having HHH on the show to plug a DVD and answer one or two questions is a lose/lose scenario. Zero chance of him saying anything interesting no matter what is asked.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:41 pm

powerfulmgp wrote:I'm the furthest thing from a Bryan Alvarez defender, but having HHH on the show to plug a DVD and answer one or two questions is a lose/lose scenario. Zero chance of him saying anything interesting no matter what is asked.
Exactly. What were people expecting? This was a classic softball interview and I bet they went over what was in bounds beforehand.

If Casey Affleck were on fallon would they go after the sexual assault allegations or just chatter about Manchester by the sea?

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:34 am

I listened to it today but may not have heard all of it because the version they put up for download appeared edited? Hunter goes from answering some wrestling question right to being in the middle of a plug for the movie so I'm not sure what they decided needed to be cut out.

My feelings on Alvarez are well known and I gotta say I also don't see what the issue is here. Having HHH on the show probably gets a few more ears listening so it's not like Alvarez can say no I don't want him as a guest because of my journalistic intengrity or whatnot and at the same time he clearly knew HHH wasn't gonna answer any question without going into corporate speak so what was the point of even trying?

It was a fluff interview. If you expected anything else I really don't know what to tell you.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

Goat

Post by Goat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:07 am

Haven't listened yet. How badly does Kenny work Dave and Bryan?

suplexberry

Post by suplexberry » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:11 am

I have a question I wonder since I didn't follow wrestling fandom very closely when I first began watching NJPW/Japanese wrestling: did Dave have a translator/guy in Japan who gave him the news /interview translations we now get from Chris Charlton's translations? I think Charlton's work has made a lot of Western fans more deep in the 'know' but also more aware of storylines, characters etc apart from what we see in the product itself, and the whole Kidani thing would not have been news at all if Charlton hadn't put up the translations. Would Dave have known about that stuff as in-depth, or only heard about it 'through the grapevine' in little bits and pieces from his sources within the company or something similar?

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:33 am

Goat wrote:Haven't listened yet. How badly does Kenny work Dave and Bryan?
Even their biggest critics said it was a great interview.

He's staying in New Japan, Dave isn't exactly buying his stuff if you listen to WORs recently

thecubsfan

Post by thecubsfan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:53 am

Do you remember when "Garfield without Garfield" was a thing? Maybe it still is a thing, someone taking the cat out of the strip to leave Jon acting erratically towards nothing at all.

Someone's neglected to update the Twitter embed plugin on the F4 main page. Happens to the best of us, easy to miss. You should not miss it. The outdated plug-in can't post quoted tweets, which means the displayed tweets are usually Dave responding strongly to nothing at all.

Please do not fix this. It is perfect the way it is.

RobViper13

Post by RobViper13 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:55 am

Would be interested to hear from the Bryan is a good host contingent if they listened to WOL the other day with Semp hosting. He hit the breaks perfectly without rushing a caller or guest or having to cut them off mid-sentence. He knew the names of the callers before he picked up & refered to them by name instead of "caller". Both these things are very simple and standard for anyone who hosts a radio show. Show also featured much more discussion rather than yelling & the host inventing scenarios so he can then bash WWE when they don't follow his fantasy booking.

I asked the question on twitter but am led to believe Semp cannot RT it or reply because the boss will get angry.
"Whoa is me" - BuzzSawyer

JML

Post by JML » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:01 am

RobViper13 wrote:Would be interested to hear from the Bryan is a good host contingent if they listened to WOL the other day with Semp hosting. He hit the breaks perfectly without rushing a caller or guest or having to cut them off mid-sentence. He knew the names of the callers before he picked up & refered to them by name instead of "caller". Both these things are very simple and standard for anyone who hosts a radio show. Show also featured much more discussion rather than yelling & the host inventing scenarios so he can then bash WWE when they don't follow his fantasy booking.

I asked the question on twitter but am led to believe Semp cannot RT it or reply because the boss will get angry.
Semp is a really good broadcaster and has been a personal favorite of mine since the PPH shows. Semp is a student of Sports Talk Radio so it's gonna be better when he's lead mic. Bryan has definitely become a parody of himself and he definitely needs to stop with the bad information he gets from his "sources".

Goat

Post by Goat » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 pm

Honestly can't wait for the meltdown on Wednesday when Dave gives Okada vs Suzuki *****