F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
mlev76

Re: F4W/Observer-Is it still worth paying for?

Post by mlev76 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:20 pm

Very sad to hear about the death of Buddy Wayne. He was a big part of the site when I first signed up and obviously was a key to Bryan becoming more involved in the business.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu Jul 06, 2017 6:52 pm

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:58 pm

Dave feels like Al Bundy in this tweet

Bix

Post by Bix » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:20 pm

So I realized when I clicked to view the newest post that I hadn't read the posts here during the JBL/Mauro stuff. That whole thing is still...weird.

I get the feeling that whatever Dave was hoping to publish was hinging on something he was expecting that he never got. Whether from Mauro or someone else.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:20 pm

rovert

Post by rovert » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:59 pm

Thoughts?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:10 pm

rovert wrote:Thoughts?
Lynch mobs are bad. When people are down and already getting kicked from every way imaginable, it's not necessary for everyone to prove their bona fides by laying in some kicks.

The issue has begun evolving from "Elgin is an asshole for what he did" (and people seem to have completely forgotten the person who actually committed the crime) to "Anyone who associated with Elgin over the last ten years who does not respond exactly how I want should be shunned."

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:36 am

What is the interest and buzz on this story outside our bubble? (also how big is our bubble, maybe 2-5k tops worldwide?) Glory pro draws like 300 people in an elks lodge in flyover country. Outside of "big guy that occasionally has blow away NJPW matches" does the median observer subscriber know or care?

Where is Satin on this? I see him more as the "millennial news guy" and the millennial cohort is much more passionate about these issues surrounding power and justice.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:53 am

I've said from the beginning that the Elgin story is not nearly as big of a story outside the twitter bubble (and that's not meant to downplay the situation, just an evaluation of the scope of the story). We get people in our mentions every day who have no idea what's going on. I don't think promotions who continue to book Elgin will see any significant business hit.

As far as Satin and other notable wrestling journos either glossing over it or not covering it at all, I think it has less to do with "eh, this is wrestling and this is how it is and we don't care" and speaks more to how sketchy the details of the story are. And the fact is, without police reports or any other documents to work off of, it's a really hard story to report on without editorializing on.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:58 am

mlev76 wrote:
Lynch mobs are bad. When people are down and already getting kicked from every way imaginable, it's not necessary for everyone to prove their bona fides by laying in some kicks.

The issue has begun evolving from "Elgin is an asshole for what he did" (and people seem to have completely forgotten the person who actually committed the crime) to "Anyone who associated with Elgin over the last ten years who does not respond exactly how I want should be shunned."
Promotions who choose to stop using Elgin are best served to simply cease booking him and make no public statement. If your statement isn't carefully crafted P.R. with all of the right buzzwords and phraseology, you're going to get your shit kicked in. It's no longer enough to do what people perceive to be the right thing, you also need to say all of the right things and hope you don't slip up with the verbiage in any way. The vultures are always ready to dogpile and pick the bones.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 3:30 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I've said from the beginning that the Elgin story is not nearly as big of a story outside the twitter bubble (and that's not meant to downplay the situation, just an evaluation of the scope of the story). We get people in our mentions every day who have no idea what's going on. I don't think promotions who continue to book Elgin will see any significant business hit.

As far as Satin and other notable wrestling journos either glossing over it or not covering it at all, I think it has less to do with "eh, this is wrestling and this is how it is and we don't care" and speaks more to how sketchy the details of the story are. And the fact is, without police reports or any other documents to work off of, it's a really hard story to report on without editorializing on.
The story is essentially the unverified screenshots of two twitter users, one of whom is the victim of the alleged assault. There is a good reason, from what I've seen, to question the veracity/context of everything that has been put out there thus far. Doesn't mean the underlying crime didn't happen, but again, it's a curious thing that the person at the heart of this isn't the accused assailant.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:27 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Joe Lanza wrote:I've said from the beginning that the Elgin story is not nearly as big of a story outside the twitter bubble (and that's not meant to downplay the situation, just an evaluation of the scope of the story). We get people in our mentions every day who have no idea what's going on. I don't think promotions who continue to book Elgin will see any significant business hit.

The story is essentially the unverified screenshots of two twitter users, one of whom is the victim of the alleged assault. There is a good reason, from what I've seen, to question the veracity/context of everything that has been put out there thus far. Doesn't mean the underlying crime didn't happen, but again, it's a curious thing that the person at the heart of this isn't the accused assailant.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:46 pm

well, that will certainly end this discussion dead it's tracks. Bravo...

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:56 pm

Dave's write up on the women's Rumble announcement hits all the marks on the Dave annoying writing bingo card. Whining about Stephanie, ignoring the significance of doing a women's Rumble, whiplash paragraphs which start making one point and then countering that only seconds later.

Numerous people have noted how irrelevant Dave is becoming on the straight news scoops side of things, but I wonder if his commentary will become less and less valued over the next few years as well.

Ferrante207

Post by Ferrante207 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:55 pm

I get the sneaking suspicion that Dave doesn't respect most non-joshi woman's wrestling. But he can't come out and say it for obvious reasons.