CZW thread - Layin' the Law, Once Again

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
Mike

CZW thread - Layin' the Law, Once Again

Post by Mike » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:41 pm

Going to the Arena next weekend for what should be a fun show. I'll do a live report for the board afterward. It has a couple decent title matches, but a good singles undercard. Nick Gage and Gulak in the Arena will be a great environment for Gage's return to the place and it's an angle they've been building now for years. But that is what happens when one of the participants is in, you know, prison.

Fox/Bailey have incredible chemistry together and I am psyched to see if they can top their previous matches together. They had a fun match in Beyond earlier this year.

CZW Heavyweight Championship: Blk Jeez (c) vs. Matt Tremont
CZW Tag-Team Championship 4-Way: OI4K (c) vs. The Young Bucks vs. The Beaver Boys vs. Team Tremendous
Nick Gage vs. Gulak
Mike Bailey vs. AR Fox
Rich Swann vs. Joey Janela
Shane Strickland vs. David Starr
Joe Gacy vs. Tim Donst
Devon Moore/Lucky 13 vs. Jon Gresham/Buxx Belmar
Greg Excellent/Neiko Sozio/Chrissy Rivera vs. The Front

Milk Chocolate returns to perform LIVE at the 2300 and much more!

BillThompson

Re: CZW thread - Layin' the Law, Once Again

Post by BillThompson » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:47 pm

It may toss a wrench into things, but they need to fast track Gulak/Gage, no telling how much longer Gulak will be on the indie scene.

Not sure if many have given CZW Studios a go of it, but it looks to be a top notch service and word is they will be adding the entire catalog of CZW chronologically from the beginning. Would love to revisit some of their older stuff, lots of hidden gems.

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:07 am

I'd highly recommend Pickard/Gacy from Dojo Wars 34. Top notch stuff, an easy MOTYC for me.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:51 pm

Hopefully Tremont wins the title now that they are finally booking him properly.

Also can CZW finally get rid of the Front these guys are just the worst. Up there as one of the worst and most useless stables in wrestling history.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:49 pm

The Front are the WORST. Niles Young/Sozio too. And it just seems like they will never go away. Just a cold as ice act, awful music to no reaction, and have done nothing memorable. Maybe they're very nice guys, good locker room guys, and that's cool. But just because they're nice people doesn't mean they're entertaining performers.

Quentin Moody

Post by Quentin Moody » Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:54 am

Just watched Gacy vs Pickard. Enjoyed it, solid work, but no where even close to a MOTYC like Bill thought

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:15 am

Quentin Moody wrote:Just watched Gacy vs Pickard. Enjoyed it, solid work, but no where even close to a MOTYC like Bill thought
Bill still thinks :) And my #2 MOTY currently :)

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 am

Pickard/Gacy was truly fantastic, easily Top 7-8 match.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:26 am

Enjoyed Pickard v. Gacy, but don't even think it's the best Dojo Wars match I've seen this year. Probably not even the second best either.

I'll definitely be watching the show on Saturday barring disaster. I really liked Best of the Best this year and CZW shows usually have at least one match I love and a couple that I think are good, so it seems like a decent use of my time.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:41 am

Wow. That show tonight was certainly... something. Mostly CZW overbooking with a few good matches mixed in. I'll post more thoughts in the morning, but I just feel like the girl who keeps going back with her boyfriend who keeps cheating on her for the last fourteen plus years. I'm not even mad, I'm just hurt.

I've been a fan of this promotion since 2001, so really it's my fault that I just can't quit it, but boy oh boy was there some stinkers on this show. Bailey/Fox was fantastic stuff, but even that had a super silly spot with Fox's valet/wife giving Speedball a Canadian Destroyer that was just too much. Totally not needed spot. I can tolerate Buff Bagwell doing one. But this instance was just cringy bad.

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Sun Jul 12, 2015 7:03 am

I am working on the review for the site now. It's going to be a total burial.

van Fair

Post by van Fair » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:02 am

That bad? I read the results and in CZW terms it sounded decent.
It's a dilapidated boat! - Matt Hardy 2016

BillThompson

Post by BillThompson » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:29 am

Mike wrote:Wow. That show tonight was certainly... something. Mostly CZW overbooking with a few good matches mixed in. I'll post more thoughts in the morning, but I just feel like the girl who keeps going back with her boyfriend who keeps cheating on her for the last fourteen plus years. I'm not even mad, I'm just hurt.

I've been a fan of this promotion since 2001, so really it's my fault that I just can't quit it, but boy oh boy was there some stinkers on this show. Bailey/Fox was fantastic stuff, but even that had a super silly spot with Fox's valet/wife giving Speedball a Canadian Destroyer that was just too much. Totally not needed spot. I can tolerate Buff Bagwell doing one. But this instance was just cringy bad.
This is why CZW is so maddening. They can be, and should be, a great promotion, but far too often they get in their own way with the overbooking or outright terrible booking. I still love Dojo Wars, and in general enjoy the promotion, but they are super frustrating at times.

WDR

Post by WDR » Sun Jul 12, 2015 3:42 pm

I attend CZW shows semi-frequently. In the review, one thing I can't grasp is the complete blasting of Shane Strickland and David Starr. I've seen these guys put on amazing matches against each other, and I know both guys fairly well outside the ring too. I just can't fathom them having a bad match, let alone one as terrible as the review made it sound. Now the ending sounds horrible, that's for sure. But are you really saying that the match, and both Strickland and Starr were "terrible?" Really?

DylanWaco

Post by DylanWaco » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:44 am

I thought the Strickland v. Starr match was bad.

To be fair (and I noted this in the review) that sort of match is not really my style of match. That said I have been known to enjoy matches of that sort - especially as openers - when the execution and timing are on point. I also tend to think those kind of matches are fine when the individual performances are either dynamic, engaging, or at the very least not off putting. I found Starr's act to be incredibly off putting.

I have nothing against the guy personally. Don't know him, it's very likely he's a nice guy. It's also possible that if I watched enough of him I'd become a fan, though I've watched a fair amount of Juicy Product and never though much of them so it's hard to imagine me turning the corner any time soon. That said even if he is a nice guy, it's not going to change my view that the match was poor. I'd be interested to hear others thoughts on that match as I may be the outlier, though I don't recall anyone praising it elsewhere.

With me if I think something sucks I say so. It doesn't matter to me if someone is my friend, enemy, an unknown, et. If I think something is great I say so and it doesn't matter if I hate you or love you. What this means is that if you get my praise it's earned and if you get my condemnation it's earned. If that means I piss off some people on the CZW roster so be it. I wish them well in their future endeavors.