WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
ODonnell

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by ODonnell » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:02 pm

Meh, I think it comes down to her not being in ring ready yet, or she'll help them down the line

BoxingRobes
VOW Staff Member

Post by BoxingRobes » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:48 pm

Garuda wrote:Man, NXT is going to be looking different. Crews, Corbin, the Vaudevillains, and Enzo & Cass all went up today officially. Emma and Eva Marie appear to be up for good, with Bayley a potential to follow. And Finn and Joe are possibilities to go up any time.

The men's singles division in particular is pretty much going to have to debut fresh if Joe and Finn leave. I'm not panicking or anything, it's just going to be a shift. Minus those two the division is mainly Nakamura, Aries, an injured Itami, Tye DIllinger, and Gargano/Ciampa. I'm excited to see who gets the pushes to fill the spots, and how the Global Cruiserweight series interrelates with the NXT roster. Fingers crossed for a big Rich Swann push. Excited for Roode, too.
Its very strange...they must be desperate post-Mania or not believe in anybody to run with a ball over the Summer at any level. There are guys that are still pretty green to the WWE style that are getting called up. The tag teams were due...but Crews and Corbin are very strange call ups. They both have yet to accomplish much in NXT.

Its time for Bayley though...should have been last night, IMO. Would have gotten a monster pop if she debuted during that Women's segment.

They really just did a poor job building anyone up for the next round...who faces Balor? who faces Asuka? who can be paired with American Alpha? Who is filling in for those upper mid-card roles?

Aries, Roode, Gargano, Ciampa types are going to need to take a big step forward in booking.

wac

Post by wac » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:17 pm

Crews and Corbin are still advertised for the northeast dates in two weeks, along with Balor, Bayley, and Joe.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:31 pm

Chismo wrote:Do people seriously prefer Ricochet in NXT over Lucha Underground? Nice to see the spirit of alternatives live.
He's gained nothing by way of recognition in LU. If he takes the mask off and becomes more recognizable, then it may be a better fit. But, right now, NXT doesn't have a super high flyer. He'd most certainly become a big featured star.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:35 pm

ODonnell wrote:Meh, I think it comes down to her not being in ring ready yet, or she'll help them down the line
Enzo's not really ring ready either...

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:41 pm

BoxingRobes wrote: Its very strange...they must be desperate post-Mania or not believe in anybody to run with a ball over the Summer at any level. There are guys that are still pretty green to the WWE style that are getting called up. The tag teams were due...but Crews and Corbin are very strange call ups. They both have yet to accomplish much in NXT.

Its time for Bayley though...should have been last night, IMO. Would have gotten a monster pop if she debuted during that Women's segment.

They really just did a poor job building anyone up for the next round...who faces Balor? who faces Asuka? who can be paired with American Alpha? Who is filling in for those upper mid-card roles?

Aries, Roode, Gargano, Ciampa types are going to need to take a big step forward in booking.
I don't know if it will be so quick, but I suspect Balor/Nakamura is probably the end destination. The only other possibility I see is one more Joe/Balor match with the loser being done. I'll take either.

Bayley is ready, but I don't think the main roster is ready for her. Nothing wrong with Asuka and her having at least one more big match.

I have a feeling that AA/Revival will be a long term feud and we will see several matches between them. I also imagine once they get fully involved, TMDK will be a prime contender as well.

It actually makes sense to bring Crewes and Corbin up and not Joe and Balor from an NXT booking perspective. The former were going to get stuck behind others and would never get much further up the card. So, why not give them a shot on the main roster?

In terms of the latter, like I said, I wouldn't be shocked if there is a final match between Finn and Joe with the loser leaving. I suspect both will be on the main roster at some point, but I can see not bringing them up just yet.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:59 pm

That was my discussion point with Rob on the NXT Takeover post show — Sure, a lot of these guys are on the way up but has ANYONE been set to take their places? NXT used to be really good at that, now it seems you'll need a number of lameduck champions getting you through a special and transition the title to a new guy. It's just awkward and doesn't do a whole lot for that next group. They have the talent in place but the stories are certainly lacking.

DanTheDazzler

Post by DanTheDazzler » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:07 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:That was my discussion point with Rob on the NXT Takeover post show — Sure, a lot of these guys are on the way up but has ANYONE been set to take their places? NXT used to be really good at that, now it seems you'll need a number of lameduck champions getting you through a special and transition the title to a new guy. It's just awkward and doesn't do a whole lot for that next group. They have the talent in place but the stories are certainly lacking.
Yep, it's basically an endless procession of passing the title on to the next shiny new toy. The whole system down their is pretty terrible in that sense at the moment. NXT's midcard is essentially career purgatory.

Rich Kraetsch
Site Admin

Post by Rich Kraetsch » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:14 pm

Once again the question becomes: what are you? You're a touring company, you're a development company, guys/gals can be called up whenever you want or do they need to have a story in place when they get called up? What about finishing their NXT stories? It's very disjointed right now and even though TakeOver was an incredible show it may be the apex.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:29 pm

Rich Kraetsch wrote:That was my discussion point with Rob on the NXT Takeover post show — Sure, a lot of these guys are on the way up but has ANYONE been set to take their places? NXT used to be really good at that, now it seems you'll need a number of lameduck champions getting you through a special and transition the title to a new guy. It's just awkward and doesn't do a whole lot for that next group. They have the talent in place but the stories are certainly lacking.
This is only true if the stories are already completed and the ex or soon to be ex champions are leaving imminently. Revival is obviously not going anywhere yet. It doesn't seem like Bayley is either. The only real imminent departure would be Finn and again, I would not assume 100% that the match with Joe was the finale.

Chismo

Post by Chismo » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:32 pm

mlev76 wrote:
Chismo wrote:Do people seriously prefer Ricochet in NXT over Lucha Underground? Nice to see the spirit of alternatives live.
He's gained nothing by way of recognition in LU. If he takes the mask off and becomes more recognizable, then it may be a better fit. But, right now, NXT doesn't have a super high flyer. He'd most certainly become a big featured star.
Except that wasn't the point of my question. At all.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:09 pm

Yeah there's a numerical depth but not a character/interest depth at the moment.

1) Asuka will rematch with Bayley, but in the meantime they'd better heat up some women quick for Asuka going forward. Dana Brooke, Alexa Bliss, and Nia Jax are next in the pecking order, and all three are pretty green to be pulling off satisying matches or even build ups to lead the division.

2) American Alpha are probably going to have to rematch The Revival. Besides them it's just Blake and Murphy and I guess John Skylar and Corey Hollis? Dawkins and Fulton? Hype Bros? At least Haste and Nichols are on the horizon, because it's going to be tough elevating most of those acts to more than jobber-to-midcard range.

3) The men's division is tricky. The Cruiserweight series may lead to signings, and Ibushi is allegedly onboard for more already, but it goes back to the developmental vs. touring issue that Rich brought up. Gargano, Aries, and Ciampa will mainly be starting from scratch, and no one below them have any real traction yet either. NXT focused too much on filler squash matches to generate interest in the rest of the roster.

Nakamura, Itami, and what's left of Finn and Joe should be enough to carry the top couple matches for a TakeOver or two, but they really need to invest creative into the rest of their guys. And as much as I love them scooping up Ibushi and such, it just feels disjointed that so much of NXT's momentum depends on these big signings every so often and not any longer term consistent growth from anyone else. No one's ever "coming up" in the men's singles, they're just "hot free agent signings" that, if successful, are likely to depart within three TakeOver's anyway.

They've got to solidify a policy for how they want talent to arrive, develop, and exit in NXT if there's a chance for it to feel consistent. Or it's just developmental and it shouldn't be held to those standards. I can't tell anymore.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:03 am

Breeze returning for a Takeover: Homecoming would benefit all parties.

rovert

Post by rovert » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:49 am

Nakamura got busted open by Manny tonight:

NutCrack

Post by NutCrack » Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:35 pm

supersonic wrote:Breeze returning for a Takeover: Homecoming would benefit all parties.
The capital city goofball returns to Springfield!