WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
ODonnell

WWE NXT 2016

Post by ODonnell » Thu May 26, 2016 1:15 am

That's a really, really good intro vid for a new guy. Shocked at how good it was tbh
Last edited by ODonnell on Thu May 26, 2016 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

supersonic

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by supersonic » Thu May 26, 2016 1:33 am

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu May 26, 2016 2:17 am

That was a GREAT episode of NXT. It's been a rough ride since London which saw a lot of momentum squandered. And although NXT had been selling the Balor/Joe angle well, they hadn't, until tonight, delivered a great episode that really got me juiced for the next TakeOver.

The opening tag with Ciampa/Gargano and the debuting TMDK was terrific, maybe **** stars for me. One of NXT's biggest issues recently has been that everyone who doesn't debut at the main event feels like a nobody. But here they opened up with two teams estabishing a firm tag team midcard in the promotion. And since Blake and Murphy dissolved, and the departure of the Vaudevillains and Enzo/Cass, this division needed some structure. Both teams looked great, and both came out as stars. I like that TMDK lost to Gargano/Ciampa; I want teams to work their way up to top spots more often, and the EVOLVE duo began and ended the match super over.

Next up was the Aries promo. It came at just the right time, and spun reality in just the right way: Austin DID debut soft, and blaming the timing on the top of the division is a good heel-y way to announce his focus on the belt. A strong promo with a great delivery by Aries. Nakamura is next-level over, and him coming out to cut his promo worked brilliantly. I laughed out loud when Aries said "I don't understand you," and Nakamura quickly said "Yeah, me too." Fantastic. Nakamura carried his weird charismatic mannerisms through the whole thing, and it just WORKED. So pumped for the program.

No Way Jose was fine. I think he's decently entertaining, but I don't think I have anything else to say other than I really would've guessed that Corey Graves knew how to dance. Disappointing.

The #1 Contender's Triple Threat may not have been as spectacular as the opener, but I felt that it might've been the best performance of all three women. Nia Jax has been slowly but consistently improving, so it's no surprise that she felt her most put together in this match. Her selling is a weakness, and I worry about that going into an Asuka match. But Carmella and Alexa Bliss really wowed me. I though Carmella has been pretty terrible in the past, and she seems to have really made something of her development. She put on a solid babyface performance, and the crowd got into her. Alexa, on the other hand, has been pretty good for a while now. I was worried that she had plateaued, but I think she put on a great performance here tonight. She was stuck in that phase where she was focused on making her moves look good, but not on really on the transitions or the whole-match performance. She put on a complete performance tonight, and I hope to see more of it going forward.

Great ep! I'm back to anticipating NXT, at least until TakeOver. Hopefully they keep their momentum coming out of it this time.

supersonic

Post by supersonic » Thu May 26, 2016 2:19 am

McCarron: NXT currently doesn’t have any scheduled house shows outside of Florida past June 17.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Thu May 26, 2016 2:25 am

supersonic wrote:McCarron: NXT currently doesn’t have any scheduled house shows outside of Florida past June 17.
The touring shows aren't really announced that far in advance.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:37 am

JML wrote:He's finally coming.

They did a fantastic job with this. Really excited.

ODonnell

Post by ODonnell » Thu May 26, 2016 4:31 am

Only skimmed the Observer, but Dave says Itami is due back in a couple weeks. Good to hear, really thought he was starting to put it together when he got injured.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu May 26, 2016 3:50 pm

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu May 26, 2016 4:43 pm

Am I the only one not hype on that video? I found it incredibly cheesy with footage from their own training facility. The whole thing felt very low rent.

JML

Post by JML » Thu May 26, 2016 5:22 pm

dancecab wrote:Am I the only one not hype on that video? I found it incredibly cheesy with footage from their own training facility. The whole thing felt very low rent.
It's similar to the Kevin Owens and Sin Cara promo videos. I'm hyped because it's La Sombra but I get how it looks low rent.

But was WWE gonna pay CMLL or New Japan money to use their footage? Probably not since the raid is on.

John The Drummer

Post by John The Drummer » Thu May 26, 2016 5:34 pm

supersonic wrote:
I thought it was going to be called "Revenge"? :?

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Thu May 26, 2016 5:44 pm

John The Drummer wrote:
supersonic wrote:
I thought it was going to be called "Revenge"? :?
Yeah it's a philosophical metacomment on the futility of vengeance.

Finally they hit on some THEMES

dancecab

Post by dancecab » Thu May 26, 2016 5:47 pm

JML wrote:
dancecab wrote:Am I the only one not hype on that video? I found it incredibly cheesy with footage from their own training facility. The whole thing felt very low rent.
It's similar to the Kevin Owens and Sin Cara promo videos. I'm hyped because it's La Sombra but I get how it looks low rent.

But was WWE gonna pay CMLL or New Japan money to use their footage? Probably not since the raid is on.
I get what you were saying. My issue with it is the fact it was made to look like he's watching old footage but it's clearly not old footage. I dunno it just didn't work as well to me as Owens and Sin Cara's did.

rovert

Post by rovert » Thu May 26, 2016 5:53 pm

wac

Post by wac » Thu May 26, 2016 6:37 pm

Did Ryan Ward moving to Smackdown have anything to do with what Cody Rhodes was talking about with the "hitting on developmental divas" comment?