WWE NXT 2016

WWE, TNA, and all U.S./Canada based graps talk
TGD287

Re: WWE NXT 2016

Post by TGD287 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:30 pm

This just has a feel of one guy saying "hey, look at this", and everyone was just running with it. And yes, things are fluid with the brand split, but I feel like there's a ton of jumping the gun.

But, let's say the show is canceled. I wonder how they'll handle the Travel Packages.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue May 31, 2016 2:53 pm

I dunno guys. As far as I know NXT Brooklyn is going ahead. But both the WWE and NXT rosters are extremely in the dark about the brand split and the future form of NXT. Wrestlers from both we asking fans what they knew yesterday. No one knows anything quite genuinely. Looking for a definitive answer is a fool's errand in my view.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:08 pm

The show is branded on the Barclays Center site as NXT, not Takeover. So, if anything, I think they are waiting for next week's show to play out and then maybe announce next steps before putting tickets on sale.

Maybe it will be a different type of NXT show or something else. It just makes no sense not to run there unless they completely gut NXT and don't think what's left will draw.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue May 31, 2016 3:18 pm

They could do a NXT vs Smackdown show or something. Again wait until the next NXT Takeover or the night after as answers as non-existent on the ground.

TGD287

Post by TGD287 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:21 pm

rovert wrote:They could do a NXT vs Smackdown show or something. Again wait until the next NXT Takeover or the night after as answers as non-existent on the ground.
Hunter's next conference call before the show next week has potential to be very informative.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue May 31, 2016 5:00 pm

I'd be stunned if they shitcan NXT, I just don't see it happening at all.

Unrelated (or possibly related), had a conversation with an indie promoter who was asked for tapes of a few of his regulars, so it appears WWE is actively on the hunt for future tryout(s).

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue May 31, 2016 5:18 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I'd be stunned if they shitcan NXT, I just don't see it happening at all.

Unrelated (or possibly related), had a conversation with an indie promoter who was asked for tapes of a few of his regulars, so it appears WWE is actively on the hunt for future tryout(s).
There's no way it's getting killed off. At least not in philosophy.

"The End" could mean any number of things from small to big. Obviously it relates to the end of the Balor/Joe fued. It could be the end of an era as the brand split demands more NXT talent, and the NXT enters its own "New Era" of sorts. It could be the end of TakeOvers as they transition to a new format for big shows.

The largest "End" it could be would if if NXT is somehow involved heavily in the brand split, such as being integrated into Smackdown. NXT could change in some fundamental way that could be called a death of sorts, but it would essentially be a call-up of the entire format to television, and not just its getting shitcanned. Maybe NXT returns to being a developmental, and they try to make Smackdown the "Indy NXT" brand and Raw the standard WWE recipe.

That last paragraph is all fanciful nonsense, and none of it is likely to happen. But Joe's ultimately right: NXT is a success. This brand split could usher in some massive changes, and it's possible that NXT "as we know it" will end. But NXT would be changing as a result of its success, for better or worse; it wouldn't be getting thrown away. They're still growing in the way they've learned from running NXT.

Joe Lanza
Site Admin

Post by Joe Lanza » Tue May 31, 2016 5:44 pm

I really think THE END just refers to Joe/Balor, they've even both used the phrase in promos. I think it's all a coincidence.

All of this could lead to the formation of a TRUE developmental again, like rovert talked about a year ago. Developmental needs a developmental territory. But I don't see them messing with the current formula right now. I'd be stunned.

Garuda

Post by Garuda » Tue May 31, 2016 5:55 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I really think THE END just refers to Joe/Balor, they've even both used the phrase in promos. I think it's all a coincidence.

All of this could lead to the formation of a TRUE developmental again, like rovert talked about a year ago. Developmental needs a developmental territory. But I don't see them messing with the current formula right now. I'd be stunned.
Well I definitely think you're right that WWE doesn't communicate seismic shifts in business policy via cryptic titles to wrestling shows.

But there is going to be change in the company. It's an open speculation how large are small those changes will be, and how it'll involve NXT. Exciting times.

They should remake a true developmental though. They already separate the touring brands from the Full Sail developmental live shows. Maybe that should spin off a little more into a clear separation.

mprentice84

Post by mprentice84 » Tue May 31, 2016 6:23 pm

Joe Lanza wrote:I really think THE END just refers to Joe/Balor, they've even both used the phrase in promos. I think it's all a coincidence.

As far as Takeover being themed as "The End", it's absolutely a coincidence that the Twitter crowd has ran away with. I do expect NXT to get hit pretty hard by the draft, but that is the main purpose of NXT and why it receives the amount of funding that it does.

When it comes to SummerSlam weekend, losing your top 4-6 acts a month before running a 15,000 seat house is a disaster waiting to happen. NXT has a great reputation with fans and that may not be worth damaging by running a Barclays show with a disappointing lineup. Running Smackdown live from Brooklyn on Tuesday may be the safer bet and gives NXT 6 months to rebuild for WrestleMania XXXIII weekend.

wac

Post by wac » Tue May 31, 2016 8:05 pm

mprentice84 wrote:

As far as Takeover being themed as "The End", it's absolutely a coincidence that the Twitter crowd has ran away with. I do expect NXT to get hit pretty hard by the draft, but that is the main purpose of NXT and why it receives the amount of funding that it does.

When it comes to SummerSlam weekend, losing your top 4-6 acts a month before running a 15,000 seat house is a disaster waiting to happen. NXT has a great reputation with fans and that may not be worth damaging by running a Barclays show with a disappointing lineup. Running Smackdown live from Brooklyn on Tuesday may be the safer bet and gives NXT 6 months to rebuild for WrestleMania XXXIII weekend.
The sky isn't falling yet, let's take it easy.

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Tue May 31, 2016 8:25 pm

Killing off the brand seems too Chikaraish for the WWE to do.

If they do raid NXT as many seem to think they will, maybe what Brooklyn will be is almost a reunion/new vs. old show meant to revise what NXT is in line with what Joe was saying about a true developmental territory. By then, the Cruiserweight Classic will already be in full swing and you can utilize guys who are doing well there versus established guys who have moved up.

An interesting theory was discussed on Taz's show last week. He said he thinks, and I don't know how much of this is serious, is turning the first hour of Raw into NXT. I somehow doubt this is true.

rovert

Post by rovert » Tue May 31, 2016 8:34 pm

ronpeppers

Post by ronpeppers » Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:47 am

mlev76 wrote:An interesting theory was discussed on Taz's show last week. He said he thinks, and I don't know how much of this is serious, is turning the first hour of Raw into NXT. I somehow doubt this is true.
Surely the network wouldn't let them pull a stunt like this?

mlev76

Post by mlev76 » Wed Jun 01, 2016 10:08 am

ronpeppers wrote:
mlev76 wrote:An interesting theory was discussed on Taz's show last week. He said he thinks, and I don't know how much of this is serious, is turning the first hour of Raw into NXT. I somehow doubt this is true.
Surely the network wouldn't let them pull a stunt like this?
I think this is a pretty out there theory, one I don't believe at all.

WWE could certainly present the case to USA and might even be able to convince them to do it. But, given that it is consistently one of the most watched shows on WWE Network, I kinda doubt WWE would push this.